Sign in to follow this  
subtrendy

When Do We Expect Wave 9?

The problem with Pandemic: Legacy is that it still suffers from the fact that the core mechanics are based on Pandemic.

As for IA, I think we can look to Descent 2E for a good estimation of where it is going.  Now, obviously Descent 2E was a little skewed because it also re-implemented material from the fist edition of the game in the form of the Hero and Monster packs. But if we take those out, Descent 2E has had (so far) 2 Big Box expansions (which each added a full campaign) 5 small box expansions (the last two can be combined to create one full campaign) and a number of lieutenant packs that were sold in conjunction with each boxed expansion.  There was also a separate campaign book that was sold in a hard back edition for owners of the original core set (the more recent core sets having the original campaign replaced with this new campaign).  Then we have the RtL App which has given then entire product range a fresh pair of legs without FFG having to release a third edition.  So, the way I see it, we will get a few more independent blister backs (probably based on characters from the OT and Rebels) and at least one more small box based on Endor and maybe another small box or even big box based on Rogue One.  I think FFG will save any material related to the prequel and/or sequel trilogy for a separate core product (call it second edition if you want).  

What I am most interested in, as a campaign only player, is, no surprise, more campaign material.  Either in the form of stand alone campaign books or hopefully in the form of an app.  I think after two more boxes, we will have enough tiles and figures to support years worth of new campaigns.  And maybe FFG will release a vault web app like they did for Descent 2E which lets us create own own missions/skirmishes/campaigns.  Of course, if FFG really is making an app, they might release more material just to keep that going as well.  

I suppose we will find out soon enough though as to what is in store for IA in the near future....

The best solution is to finish the trilogy and allow people to enjoy what they already have by releasing more campaign books with more stories and adventures.

That would be cool.

We also might get to a point where we're just getting waves of blister packs, too.  That model is similar enough to the entirety of X-Wing and Armada, and it works out with them.  Plus, the side missions in those blister packs could implement tiles from whatever expansions they want, which could allow us to have some really interesting maps.

I think they will just move on to Episodes 9-12 and give us Rebels/Prequel content (if possible) in the form of Blister packs like they did with the Inquisitor. Right now they have basically gotten 2 boxes out of each movie (Episode IV = Core + TS, Episode V = Hoth + Bespin and Episode VI = JR + Endor (presumably)). So they could essentially get us another 6ish boxes out of Episodes 9-12. And that is without touching Rogue One or Rebels, both of which are basically just IA campaigns, both mini and full, respectively. 

THEN there is the app, where they take all of the existing content and recycle it using the core and expansions like they have done with RTL. They knocked it out of the park so far with their app content so I am very excited to see what they do with IA.

Basically in closing, 8 post troll is troll but his attempt was a huge disaster because all it did was just make me more excited for the bright, limitless future of IA! 

Edited by FrogTrigger

I think they will just move on to Episodes 9-12 and give us Rebels/Prequel content (if possible) in the form of Blister packs like they did with the Inquisitor. Right now they have basically gotten 2 boxes out of each movie (Episode IV = Core + TS, Episode V = Hoth + Bespin and Episode VI = JR + Endor (presumably)). So they could essentially get us another 6ish boxes out of Episodes 9-12.

Moving to a different trilogy might cause some issues, though.  Unless Stormtroopers and FO/ Stormtroopers are going to be interchangeable, I have a feeling we'll need an entirely new core set.

Or, they could release a new core set for the ST, but have an upgrade kit for existing players.

I think they will just release First Order Troopers with the new big box that introduces the new trilogy. They obviously aren't overly concerned with timelines at this point given the figure packs we have seen. Also in X-Wing I am pretty sure they have Rebels characters flying along/against OT and NT characters.

I think we just see them add in what they need to with the expansions/blister packs and go from there.

Has FFG given any indication on what they see as the total lifespan of this game? Based on how quickly the packs and expansions sell out it sounds like it is selling pretty well, but it's hard to imagine them putting out more than one or two more small box expansions and some figure packs. It'd be too hard for new customers to distinguish at that point. And do we really need +20 heroes?

And the license is technically only for card, dice, and RPG games. I don't know how they were able to do IA or Rebellion, but based on what they've put out so far, they may be restricted to material from the end of Revenge of the Sith to the end of Return of the Jedi. Drawing on material from SW: Rebels doesn't make much sense for a game aimed at people 13 and up. They may be running out of material to work with and have to wind it down soon.

You did know that IA is basically a re-skin of Descent, right? Pop over to the Descent Products page and look at the huge number of boxed set expansions, lieutenant, hero and monster figures they've created. I know Descent is a great game with a very loyal following, but I would be surprised if it's turning over more money for FFG than IA is per product. While that's the case, I'm sure they'll be able to come up with quality content for a long while to come yet.

As for the comment about the Rebels tv show, have you actually watched it? It's primarily aimed at one specific demographic, Star Wars fans. I reckon they may like IA as well. Plus, they've already taken one character from it, in the form of the Grand Inquisitor, and they've used loads of Rebels characters and ships in X-Wing and Armada. Additionally, and you may not have heard about this yet, but LFL have recently released two new films. I gather there may, possibly be more coming, so there will certainly be material to work from. Your doom-laden pessimism is entirely unfounded.

TL:DR; I find your lack of faith disturbing.

All games have a lifespan. All games wind down. There was more than 12 months between Manor of Ravens and Mists of Bilehall, and that game is only 2 years older than IA. Odds are Descent is near the end of it's life. IA probably wouldn't be far behind.

I've not seen the Rebels TV show, but I know who it is aimed at: Children. People 12 and under. IA may be something those kids grow into, but we only have to look at the reception of the prequels to see that not all Star Wars fans are alike. It's easy for me to imagine they may be different market segments.

And if FFG could make new material for IA based on the prequels or the new films (Rogue One included), why haven't they already, as they have for X-wing and the Star Wars RPG's? I suspect it's something in that license agreement.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic. Just realistic. I agree with Otakuon. This is all speculation, but I think the game has a few more blister packs and one or two mini-campaigns left in it before we see products either come to an end, or we get something that really shakes things up, maybe in mid to late 2018.

When a "second edition" of a game is released it comes with pretty major changes to the core game rules (see: Descent, Mansions of Madness for FFG examples).  Is there anybody who thinks that the rules of IA, either during campaign or skirmish, are particularly broken right now?  I don't think I've seen a single complaint other than the cost of the early uniques, and that's not really something a new edition would address in any case.  I'd say that there's about a zero percent chance that they release a new edition of the game just because the new trilogy is set in a different time period.

If X-Wing can have Vader flying against Poe Dameron then I don't see why it should be any different for IA skirmish - we already have things like the Inquisitor vs Jedi Luke.  And as for campaign, well, if the timelines matter to you then just don't use imperial stormtroopers in a first order campaign.  Again it's not too far off from the potential timeline shenanigans that we already have.

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they're going to keep making IA as long as people keep buying IA

I suspect we will see Rebels and Rogue One content before Sequel Trilogy if only for the fact that Rebels and Rogue One are more relevant right now then down the line. I suspect we will see a Rebels or Rogue One big box this coming winter, and then once they do four to six boxed expansions for those two, four for Rebels, and two for Rogue One we will see a Han Solo based box or they will just move into the sequel trilogy then.

As for confusing new players there is little worry about that, as this game really only follows the model of the Core Set + expansions, so long as you have the core set you can play the game as you like, especially now as we don't seem to be using time periods anymore, which just goes to show customers can get what they want and play as they like. If you like campaigns then get the core set and any themed boxes you'd like, if you like skirmish then well you will need to by a core set and quite and every expansion that contains miniatures for the squad you want to run.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a sniff of any Rogue One content for IA yet.

I was fully expecting them to tie in with the release of the movie (at least in terms of announcing IA content...)

Hopefully we'll get some info on where the game is going next soon.

I think we've all predicted the inevitable Endor/DS2 small box coming, but I'm eager to learn what's planned beyond that

Unlike some people here I don't think that IA is coming towards the end of its run at all... (unless Hasbro do something with the license)

Of course the game will reach the end of its lifespan eventually- the alternative is that it continues until the end of time, which is silly.

But I don't think Endor/DSII will be the final release.  We need only to look toward Armada and X-Wing to see that, despite what Pollux85 seems to think, Rebels can carry its weight in a mature tabletop community.

But yeah, now that we do have the OT done after Endor, I think the format of releases can definitely change.  Less focus on boxed expansions is something I kind of expect, for sure.  

And as we talk about this.. new Rogue One content announced for Destiny, this is the first Rogue One content we've seen in any of the FFG products? or am I wrong? They aren't even through the first trilogy yet, there is ever expanding amount of canon for them to draw upon moving forward. Between the new trilogy, Rebels, Rogue One and the Prequels (if need be!) this game has years ahead of it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/1/11/spirit-of-rebellion/

I have a feeling we will see our Rogue One content through Blister packs, IA already is basically Rogue One so we don't need a box or campaign about it, just some of the main characters would be cool.

Edited by FrogTrigger

What I am most interested in, as a campaign only player, is, no surprise, more campaign material.  Either in the form of stand alone campaign books or hopefully in the form of an app.

This is what I'd like to see as well.

Expansions that include a new campaign book with new item cards and new versions of characters/errata'd cards. No minis or tiles.

I'd also like to see future campaigns incorporate multiple expansions for story missions. 

Edited by Armandhammer

this is the first Rogue One content we've seen in any of the FFG products? or am I wrong?

The TIE Striker is out for X-Wing.

U-Wing, too.  

Yeah, I mean, I think Rogue One might be a possibility.  Hey, we might all be wrong, and even get an R1 themed smallbox this summer when the film is still fresh, saving Endor/DSII for next winter's Big Box.  You never know.

I think we will definitely see more campaigns.. but they will come on the app. So far RTL put out a mini tutorial campaign and a full campaign that are Core only, a repeatable single session randomized dungeon crawler called the Delve, and now just announced a new campaign that uses a specific expansion. The more you own, the more you will see in the campaign but you can play the first few without anything anything else. The app keeps track of what you do and don't own through your collection.

One advantage an app has (and this has been demonstrated by both RtL and the MoM 2e App), is that the experience can be tailored based on the physical content you own.  So the more "stuff" you have, the more variety you will have with the missions/quests/scenarios in the app.  This makes it easier to create, say a campaign, and then dynamically build missions based on what expansions you own.

this is the first Rogue One content we've seen in any of the FFG products? or am I wrong?

U-Wing, too.  

Yeah, I mean, I think Rogue One might be a possibility.  Hey, we might all be wrong, and even get an R1 themed smallbox this summer when the film is still fresh, saving Endor/DSII for next winter's Big Box.  You never know.

Personally I would prefer them the other way around, but I agree that it seems likely FFG would try to capitalise on the relative freshness of the movie

U-Wing, too.  

Personally I would prefer them the other way around, but I agree that it seems likely FFG would try to capitalise on the relative freshness of the movie

Yeah, it would make sense for the other ROTJ package to come next, but as good as Rogue One is, it won't be nearly as timely if released a year from now.  Plus, it'd be released alongside Episode 9, which would kind of really overshadow Rogue One- not that it's a bad movie (I really loved it, actually!) but it's tough to go against a main trilogy film.

Well, that was fast.

I love how unexpected this one was.  That's why I'm really looking forward to getting Endor out of the way, and am favor of outright skipping it.  I'd much rather get surprises, and if ewoks are really the main thing we're hoping for with Endor, we can just get a figure pack for them.

And the license is technically only for card, dice, and RPG games. I don't know how they were able to do IA or Rebellion,

It has been widely talked about (especially when IA came out and had delays because of it - and change of distribution), so it's surprising you have not heard about their agreement with Hasbro, the SW boardgame license holder.

None of us knows what the agreement contains, but we definitely know they have one.

Apparently the agreement is what made both Star Wars: Rebellion and Star Wars: Destiny possible.

I guess that's what I meant. I know there's an agreement with Hasbro, but who knows what's in it. I wouldn't be surprised if the terms about what they could use were very specific and very odd.

I would assume the agreement probably has to do with target audience. These games are more strategy based and target hobbyists. Hasbro games generally target families and the younger generations.