Sign in to follow this  
subtrendy

When Do We Expect Wave 9?

Jabba's Realm just came out, and the paint is hardly even dry on our minis yet, but I'm curious about the future of IA.  We'll most probably get more waves, so when do we expect the next one, and what might it be?

Just for recap, here's some information on previous waves, using FFG's news tab for dates (may not be 100% accurate):

Bix Box Waves marked in Blue.  Small Box Waves marked in Red.  Blister Waves marked in Green.

8/15/2014- Wave 1 Announced

12/15/2014- Wave 1 Released (blister packs available later)

3/18/2015- Wave 2 Announced

4/21/2015- Wave 3 Announced

7/8/2015- Wave 4 Announced

8/1/2015- Wave 5 Announced ( (note there are now 4 unreleased waves announced)

8/20/2015- Wave 2 Released (finally!)

10/8/2015- Wave 3 Released

12/23/2015- Wave 5 Released

2/18/2016- Wave 4 Released

3/4/2016- Wave 6 Announced

5/11/2016- Wave 7 Announced

6/2/2016- Wave 6 Released

June/July 2016- Wave 7 Released (could not find date)

8/5/2016- Wave 8 Announced

12/29/2016- Wave 8 Released

Man, this game has had an interesting release schedule over the years, but they seem to be getting into their niche now.  I think we all expect an early March announcement for the next Small Box expansion (The Endor Encounter?  Death Star Deception?), but that's not necessarily going to be Wave 9.  We could be getting another blister wave before then.  Waves 3 and 4 were announced gratuitously early before their release.  Wave 7 shows that these blister waves can come a little faster.

Personally, I am expecting a blister wave in early February to be announced, with an early May release.  Here are my rough predictions-

2/11/2017- Wave 9 Announced

(3 figure packs- Palpatine, Yoda, Embo/Cad Bane/ or Maul)

3/3/2017- Wave 10 Announced

(Based on Death Star II, some Endor)

5/5/2017- Wave 9 Released

6/8/2017- Wave 10 Released

Below, spoilers for Rogue One, and kind of Rebels I guess.

Also, I expect we'll get a second figure wave, Wave 11, announced some time over the summer.  I predict that it will include Ally/Villains of each faction that will help segue into whatever Big Box is next, though not necessarily the most iconic, as they'll be saved for the Big Box- so likely either a Rebels pack (Sabine, Kallus, Maul if not used with Wave 9) or Rogue One (Chirrut, Ponda Baba and Evazzan combo, Krennic).

One final thought- with Maul (and Saw Guerarra, if we ever get him), I'd actually like to see them get Merc skirmish cards, but be winnable as allies in campaigns.  They're more kinda merc, but I couldn't see either working with the Empire.

Edited by subtrendy

I could be wrong, but I believe the large backup of announcements to releases early on was due to shipping delays  (strikes I believe) which had nothing to do with FFGs release schedule, otherwise I think the releases would have been a bit more "regular" as they are now.

I also expect to hear about the next wave around March or so. For those of us who keep an eye on the product numbers, there are currently four "gaps" that have not been used yet. SWI37, 41, 42, and 43. I fully expect 41-43 to be another blister wave, but I am very curious as to what 37 would be on its own.

I could be wrong, but I believe the large backup of announcements to releases early on was due to shipping delays  (strikes I believe) which had nothing to do with FFGs release schedule, otherwise I think the releases would have been a bit more "regular" as they are now.

I also expect to hear about the next wave around March or so. For those of us who keep an eye on the product numbers, there are currently four "gaps" that have not been used yet. SWI37, 41, 42, and 43. I fully expect 41-43 to be another blister wave, but I am very curious as to what 37 would be on its own.

Interesting.  Do we know what the current waves product numbers are?  

Sweet Christmas, if I could have Vinto and Cad Bane on the same team I might not be able to stand how cool that woould be. :P

Cad Bane seems unlikely at this point in thime though, unfortunately. Especially before Zuckuss and 4LOM. 

Truer words have rarely been spoken.  But I would have said the same thing about the Inquisitor. 

Sweet Christmas, if I could have Vinto and Cad Bane on the same team I might not be able to stand how cool that woould be. :P

Cad Bane seems unlikely at this point in thime though, unfortunately. Especially before Zuckuss and 4LOM. 

Truer words have rarely been spoken.  But I would have said the same thing about the Inquisitor. 

Depends skirmish waves are a little more freeform, I had suspected that we would get one of the two with this last expansion but here is to hoping that we get a Zuckuss and 4-LOM pack for Endor. 

FFG has in the past, used the card art to tease future waves, and I do think a fair bit of Rebel (series) stuff has come up lately, so while I did expect us to move to Andor next, I wouldn't be surprised if we've got some more Rebel figures in store.

When will there be enough? Will FFG continue to release expansions for years to come?

At what point will we start having redundancy and power creep?

I would be satisfied with the full original trilogy + Rogue One. From there on, I want more campaign books with a few new tiles and perhaps some new interesting skirmish maps.

- Want to see Rogue One

- The Force Awakens may be OK.

- Don't care about Rebels

- Absolutely don't ever want to see Episodes 1-3 prequels. 

Edited by robertpolson

When will there be enough? Will FFG continue to release expansions for years to come?

I would be satisfied with the full original trilogy + Rogue One. From there on, I want more campaign books with a few new tiles and perhaps some new interesting skirmish maps.

- Want to see Rogue One

Enough?  What is this "enough" you speak of?  :-)

-ryanjamal

- Want to see Rogue One

We already have power creep. Just look at Vader and the AT-ST

Personally I wish they'd stop adding new tiles in every expansion. Setting up maps is such a pain cause we have sooo many tiles...

Personally I wish they'd stop adding new tiles in every expansion. Setting up maps is such a pain cause we have sooo many tiles...

I mostly agree.  I think Twin Shadows and JR could've had a few less tiles.  Obviously it was cool to get a Cantina, the Sarlaac Pit, Jabba's palace tiles, etc, but some of the random generic desert tiles are pointless- we have more than enough already.

With Hoth and Bespin, at least those tiles were unique and kind of needed.

If we get Endor, give us maybe an ewok hut or two and the entrance to the Shield Bunker.

If Death Star, maybe a fire control room and TIE Hanger.  

Otherwise, we have more than enough forest and Imperial Interior tiles.

I mostly agree.  I think Twin Shadows and JR could've had a few less tiles.  Obviously it was cool to get a Cantina, the Sarlaac Pit, Jabba's palace tiles, etc, but some of the random generic desert tiles are pointless- we have more than enough already.

If we get Endor, give us maybe an ewok hut or two and the entrance to the Shield Bunker.

Tiles for the Ewok village would be good for Kashyyyk too. 

And we'll never see that cantina and star destroyer bridge tile used ever again.

And we'll never see that cantina and star destroyer bridge tile used ever again.

Right, that's a shame.  That's why I am a huge advocate of packages of new campaign books that incorporate multiple expansions, maybe each packaged with an Imerial/ Merc non-unique blister like Death Troopers or Jawas to motivate sales.

Has FFG given any indication on what they see as the total lifespan of this game? Based on how quickly the packs and expansions sell out it sounds like it is selling pretty well, but it's hard to imagine them putting out more than one or two more small box expansions and some figure packs. It'd be too hard for new customers to distinguish at that point. And do we really need +20 heroes?

And the license is technically only for card, dice, and RPG games. I don't know how they were able to do IA or Rebellion, but based on what they've put out so far, they may be restricted to material from the end of Revenge of the Sith to the end of Return of the Jedi. Drawing on material from SW: Rebels doesn't make much sense for a game aimed at people 13 and up. They may be running out of material to work with and have to wind it down soon.

And the license is technically only for card, dice, and RPG games. I don't know how they were able to do IA or Rebellion,

It has been widely talked about (especially when IA came out and had delays because of it - and change of distribution), so it's surprising you have not heard about their agreement with Hasbro, the SW boardgame license holder.

None of us knows what the agreement contains, but we definitely know they have one.

Apparently the agreement is what made both Star Wars: Rebellion and Star Wars: Destiny possible.

Edited by a1bert

And the license is technically only for card, dice, and RPG games. I don't know how they were able to do IA or Rebellion,

It has been widely talked about (especially when IA came out and had delays because of it - and change of distribution), so it's surprising you have not heard about their agreement with Hasbro, the SW boardgame license holder.

None of us knows what the agreement contains, but we definitely know they have one.

Apparently the agreement is what made both Star Wars: Rebellion and Star Wars: Destiny possible.

I guess that's what I meant. I know there's an agreement with Hasbro, but who knows what's in it. I wouldn't be surprised if the terms about what they could use were very specific and very odd.

Has FFG given any indication on what they see as the total lifespan of this game? Based on how quickly the packs and expansions sell out it sounds like it is selling pretty well, but it's hard to imagine them putting out more than one or two more small box expansions and some figure packs. It'd be too hard for new customers to distinguish at that point. And do we really need +20 heroes?

And the license is technically only for card, dice, and RPG games. I don't know how they were able to do IA or Rebellion, but based on what they've put out so far, they may be restricted to material from the end of Revenge of the Sith to the end of Return of the Jedi. Drawing on material from SW: Rebels doesn't make much sense for a game aimed at people 13 and up. They may be running out of material to work with and have to wind it down soon.

You did know that IA is basically a re-skin of Descent, right? Pop over to the Descent Products page and look at the huge number of boxed set expansions, lieutenant, hero and monster figures they've created. I know Descent is a great game with a very loyal following, but I would be surprised if it's turning over more money for FFG than IA is per product. While that's the case, I'm sure they'll be able to come up with quality content for a long while to come yet.

As for the comment about the Rebels tv show, have you actually watched it? It's primarily aimed at one specific demographic, Star Wars fans. I reckon they may like IA as well. Plus, they've already taken one character from it, in the form of the Grand Inquisitor, and they've used loads of Rebels characters and ships in X-Wing and Armada. Additionally, and you may not have heard about this yet, but LFL have recently released two new films. I gather there may, possibly be more coming, so there will certainly be material to work from. Your doom-laden pessimism is entirely unfounded.

TL:DR; I find your lack of faith disturbing.