Gunslinger83

Prediction: Gen Con 2017 Announces LOTR:LCG 2nd Edition...thoughts?

38 posts in this topic

Curious, Does anybody else strongly suspect that LOTR:LCG 2nd edition is right around the corner? Here is my reasoning:

1. Rings is the the last original LCG still standing after Thrones 1st ed. went down a couple years ago.

2. The last LOTR source material saga box is supposedly going to be announced at any time (I"m a little surprised at how long the announcement is taking).

3. The size of the card pool and scenario difficulty curve have reached a point where it has gotten very difficult for new players to jump in and play the latest expansions.

4. Even the condensed FAQ is like 20 pages long at this point.

5. They've been fairly quiet for a while now, not withstanding the release of Sands of Harad... as if they are working on something big?

My Prediction: Gen Con 2017 announces LOTR:LCG 2nd edition!

I for one would welcome it. There are a lot of substandard card designs (*cough, cough... Steward of Gondor...cough*) and clunky mechanics (*4 players, 1 active location anyone?,) that could be learned from and perfected in a second edition. LOTR:LCG was an experiment that succeeded greatly, and we can already see some lessons learned applied to the design of the new Lovecraft LCG. They've had a chance to experiment with A LOT of game mechanics that could be incorporated into the base game or set up for similar scenario mechanics with more finesse. I also look at how much better designed and more thematic just about every nightmare deck is over it's early cycle predecessors.

Discuss

Certainly there are improvements that could be made, but I would strongly prefer my collection to not be made obsolete. I think there is plenty left to do/explore in Lord of the Rings, and as you mentioned they did just release another cooperative LCG. If anything, I think LotR LCG will simply end at some point (though hopefully not anytime soon), and won't be re-released as a 2nd edition.

MakoCLoud, Calvadur, xchan and 5 others like this

Way too many things about Middle Earth would be left unexplored if this were the case. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

as i said on facebook, i think it's a mistake to think that creating 2nd editions will be a typical strategy. AGoT 2nd edition is the outlier, not the rule

Slothgodfather likes this

Just as the others said: Looking at the other LCGs you see that they just end. Thrones is the only one that got something like a second Edition. And if I remember their reasons for re-lauching it correctly, they don't really fit for LOTR.

Just because there are tons of Cards and quests doesn't seem to be a reason for a 2nd Edition.

The FAQ is long, but you have no problem playing the game without ever looking into it. If you are unsure about a rule Google is your friend. And using a non errata horn of Gondor doesn't break anybodies back.

I would agree, that, once this game comes to it's end, FFG will announce a new LOTR game. They did it with warhammer (Invasion -> Conquest) and with Cthulhu. As long as they have the license it would be a waste not to use it. But I wouldn't bet it will be an LCG as the 5 rings LCG is approaching IIRC and you wouldn't want to many LCGs out there.

After we get Thranduil and explored Erebor, our beloved LCG will go into the west and we will be left with amazing memories and the excitement of the dawn of a new age.

HeavyKaragh and alexbobspoons like this

Prediction for GenCon 2017:

-final Saga is released

-cool new POD quest debuts

-7th Deluxe + Cycle is announced, probably set in Rhovanion and Dale

-In-Flight report states LOTR continues to be #1 seller

-people go home happy, a few dollars lighter and a few beers heavier

-final Saga is released

-8th Deluxe + Cycle is announced, probably set in Rhovanion and Dale

I don't think they will wait 8 months to announce the next DE instead of 2. You were probably thinking about the 8th Deluxe + Cycle, right?

-final Saga is released

-8th Deluxe + Cycle is announced, probably set in Rhovanion and Dale

I don't think they will wait 8 months to announce the next DE instead of 2. You were probably thinking about the 8th Deluxe + Cycle, right?

I guess time-wise, they should be releasing the 8th Deluxe around then, right?... So maybe that'll be released at GenCon, too. 6th Saga, 8th Deluxe, and a POD quest? Good God this game is dying hard! :roll:

legolas18 likes this

I wouldn't mind a *compatible* second edition of the core.  Heck, I bought a second copy of an identical core set, I'd jump to buy a third copy if it had different content.  For example:

1) Keep the "staple" cards in place.  New players need generically useful cards, and having more than 2 of the staples is useful to existing players.

2) Replace the dud player cards with more interesting cards, or give them *positive* errata.

3) Replace or tweak the three quests to provide new content for existing players while still providing an easy/medium/hard experience for beginners.  Make sure the third quest is playable solo!

4) Shake up the starting heroes somewhat.  Move Glorfindel to tactics, give him a cool new ability -- this will also make the tactics starting deck capable of actually questing.  Move Gloin to lore, give him a cool new ability.  Drop Dunhere and Thalin.  Add spirit Bilbo, with non-inflated threat and an ability that makes him worth playing.  Add leadership Frodo, give him a cool new ability.

I don't expect that to happen, but I'd happily buy it.

Authraw, pmdoug and legolas18 like this

Cool... looks like I hold a minority opinion. 
We'll see if I'm correct. 

Also.... point 5.) The game lost a developer to the new Lovecraft card game. 

Personally, I'd happily buy into a 2nd edition of LOTR LCG long before I'd spend a single sense on Lovecraft nonsense. Getting pretty tired of seeing that stuff plastered everywhere. 

Also.... point 5.) The game lost a developer to the new Lovecraft card game.

this is an honest question, but what exactly does this have to do with it?
rbaker1978 likes this

Nate is still working on AGoT, are we (meaning Gunslinger) sure that Matt is ONLY doing AH?

We know that Matt is only working on Nightmare packs for LOTR now. Normal cycles are Caleb's only. But he also said that he and Caleb work side by side in the office, so they informally work together at times.

It's not like I wouldn't immediately gobble up a second edition if it came to that, but I think that it would be very difficult to do, unless the scenario idea was changed entirely. They've already had to delve deep into the lore AND build their own characters and stories for the "first edition" to work. I don't think they'd like to give themselves the job of starting from the beginning and exploring all of middle-earth piece by piece AGAIN.

alexbobspoons likes this

That's a good point; they'd kind of be competing with their own product--for a long time the "old version" would be much more expansive and interesting, and explore more of the lore than the "new version", potentially making the old product more compelling for someone just getting into the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a redone or second Core set, though. Kind of like a version 1.5; it's backwards-compatible with all of the old stuff, but has several rules tweaks and replaces a few of the old cards with new versions. That way the old stuff is still relevant, but you could also skip it and just start going for the new stuff too. A revised core might make it easier for new players to jump into the game without being an off-ramp for all of us old fogies who don't want to start over.

I guess that's kind of the tactic they took with Mansions of Madness, come to think of it.

I don't know how the game is doing regarding sales, but if it is doing good, I don't think there is any reason for a second edition.

Personally for me, as other have mention, I would prefer a re-release of the core box. I would like some tweaking of the mechanics, especially the ones concerning locations. I think the raw rules about locations are the weakest of the game. Luckily, we have seen some scenarios with their own location rules (siege of cair andros, lake town, Temple of the deceived...) that make this part of the game more appealing.

Additionally, if the copyright allows it, it would be very nice to see a whole part of the game dedicated to the First age and Second Age. Plenty of stuff :)

Additionally, if the copyright allows it, it would be very nice to see a whole part of the game dedicated to the First age and Second Age. Plenty of stuff :)

The copyright doesn't allow it, sadly. All First and Second Age material is locked down in a fortress much more impenetrable than Cair Andros

The copyright doesn't allow it, sadly. All First and Second Age material is locked down in a fortress much more impenetrable than Cair Andros

Not all of it.  LOTR's appendices doesn't say much about the first age, but it tells the outline of the story and mention many of the big names.  Even the main text has the story of Beren and Luthien (told by Aragorn) and the flight of Earendil (told by Bilbo).  I can't see them using that to do First Age, since so much detail that would be lovely to include is left out, but I don't see how Christopher Tolkien could stop them if they didn't use outside material.  For the Second Age LOTR provides more information, having a four page history of Numenorean Kings in Appendix A and a Tale of Years in Appendix B.  Since there's more base material here (and less material missing, as most of the Silmarillion is devoted to the First Age), I don't see any copyright obstacles to the second age -- but I don't know the story is compelling enough to justify a saga.  If I were trying to release another saga from LOTR material, I'd go back to the beginning of the third age, the original War of the Ring.  (Though a Dwarf-Goblin War saga expansion would be very sweet.)

PsychoRocka, koriakin97 and dr00 like this

Curious, Does anybody else strongly suspect that LOTR:LCG 2nd edition is right around the corner? Here is my reasoning:

1. Rings is the the last original LCG still standing after Thrones 1st ed. went down a couple years ago.

2. The last LOTR source material saga box is supposedly going to be announced at any time (I"m a little surprised at how long the announcement is taking).

3. The size of the card pool and scenario difficulty curve have reached a point where it has gotten very difficult for new players to jump in and play the latest expansions.

4. Even the condensed FAQ is like 20 pages long at this point.

5. They've been fairly quiet for a while now, not withstanding the release of Sands of Harad... as if they are working on something big?

My Prediction: Gen Con 2017 announces LOTR:LCG 2nd edition!

I for one would welcome it. There are a lot of substandard card designs (*cough, cough... Steward of Gondor...cough*) and clunky mechanics (*4 players, 1 active location anyone?,) that could be learned from and perfected in a second edition. LOTR:LCG was an experiment that succeeded greatly, and we can already see some lessons learned applied to the design of the new Lovecraft LCG. They've had a chance to experiment with A LOT of game mechanics that could be incorporated into the base game or set up for similar scenario mechanics with more finesse. I also look at how much better designed and more thematic just about every nightmare deck is over it's early cycle predecessors.

Discuss

Hey, just getting in to the game with my buddies. Just starting to look here (been on the Armada forum for a handful of time). 

What's wrong with Steward of Gondor? 

What's wrong with Steward of Gondor?

Nothing, really. In most conditions it is the best card for resources acceleration, and some people don't like it, just that.

Please, don't hijack the thread, you can find plenty of discussions about this card in these forums.