Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

Thoughts on Light Scyk Interceptors?

We all know about the ineffectiveness of 2 dice attacks.  But if you could find a way to cancel some of your enemy's agility, or if there were a way to force them into a position that was more advantageous for your ships to shoot from...

2X Tansarii Point Veterans with Heavy Scyk and Tractor Beams

5X Cartel Spacers with Light Scyk

100 points

View in (Yet Another) X-Wing Squad Builder

so you want to cancel agility...by trying to hit through agility with barely modified 3 dice that do no damage if they hit?

no no no

swx61-spacetug-tractor-array.png

I'm duh tugboat, toot too Mutha******s.

We all know about the ineffectiveness of 2 dice attacks.  But if you could find a way to cancel some of your enemy's agility, or if there were a way to force them into a position that was more advantageous for your ships to shoot from...

2X Tansarii Point Veterans with Heavy Scyk and Tractor Beams

5X Cartel Spacers with Light Scyk

100 points

View in (Yet Another) X-Wing Squad Builder

so you want to cancel agility...by trying to hit through agility with barely modified 3 dice that do no damage if they hit?

no no no

swx61-spacetug-tractor-array.png

Indeed. The Galactic Trucking Company is a swarm that looks (at least on paper) like it could be rather good. Easy access to agility reduction (and maneuver-screwing-up forced movement) giving you a sort of analogue to crack shot, reverse maneuvers for good blocking and keeping ships in arc, and decent damage capacity (if all crit-vulnerable hull), plus the rather useful crew, illicit and bomb slots. to allow connor nets, intelligence agents, feedback arrays and slicer tools in whatever combination.

It's slow as buggery, of course, but you can't have everything.

Though I agree with some people thinking that it should be the turns that are green, I think maybe just the 2 and 3. 

They don't have a 3-turn ....

Oh. Seriously? Dang. Sorry, I wasn't aware. I don't play Scum and barely anyone else does near me, and when they do they don't play these things.

It seems to be "a thing" with scum. Scum ships with a speed 3 turn are about as rare as rebel ships with a speed 1 turn - the Scyk, Khiraxz and Starviper, Jumpmaster and Aggressor all lack a speed 3 hard turn.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I got a though about this title:

It sucks balls deep.

It gives scum a ship more or less equivilent to the academy pilot TIE fighter. Sadly the meta doesn't really favour them at the moment (which I am glad of because I fly Han quite alot), but it would have been unrealistic to expect to FFG to give us something that is out and out better than the TIE at the same points cost.

Expect to see them the same place you see occasionally see academies - as a blocker/filler or a swam leader evade caddy.

I full expect to give Bossk or Dengar plus 4 of these a run out at some point. It probably won't be that good but it will definitely be fun.

Tansarii Point Veteran (17)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

"Light Scyk" Interceptor (-2)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Total: 96

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Now I regret not getting in on the 3 Jumpmaster wagon when it was good. 

Edit: Somebody on these forums runs 2x bumpmaster + 4 z95's, and apparently that works fairly well. Now it's not totally stupid to replace some or all of the headhunters with light scyks. I mean sure, they'll hate life (or be dead) the moment they take 2 damage, but it's even more barrel rolls to confound aces with - and be all the same PS. 

Edited by grandmoffjoe

At first I was severely underwhelmed by the Light title, but after thinking about it I believe it opens up some nice swarm options for Scum - they can match the Empire for numbers with the classic 8 ships (9 if the PS1 pilot is not a unique, and I genuinely can't see the unique dot there), or they can out-PS the Crack Swarm with up to 6 CS TPV's. Sure, they'll all die faster than TIE's, but when they're as cheap as that, does it matter?

I don't get how they are measurably more vulnerable than the soap bubble TIEs. They both have the same agility, the same b-roll and evade, the same HP. The first uncancelled crit just takes a shield off the Scyk, while the TIE can conceivably be blown away with the Draw another Crit/direct hit combo. The obscene amount of green on the Scyk dial and the 5 and 3 k turns surely makes up for the lack of the TIEs speedier moves. This thing is now truely the scum TIE, it even comes with a generic with EPT!

At first I was severely underwhelmed by the Light title, but after thinking about it I believe it opens up some nice swarm options for Scum - they can match the Empire for numbers with the classic 8 ships (9 if the PS1 pilot is not a unique, and I genuinely can't see the unique dot there)

I'd be very surprised if the pricing of a generic PS1 is 13 points (with the light title taking it down to 11) as I'm fairly sure FFG have come out and said that they wouldn't go any lower than 12 points for a ship.

I'd be very surprised if the pricing of a generic PS1 is 13 points (with the light title taking it down to 11) as I'm fairly sure FFG have come out and said that they wouldn't go any lower than 12 points for a ship.

The thing is, FFG have said a lot of things that they later retracted or changed - take the 'we won't change card text' stance, for example. While they may never have planned to have a ship cheaper than a TIE back when it was said, the current state of the game may allow for an 11pt ship - particularly if it's a PS1 Scyk with an auto-crit waiting for it.

It's certainly possible that it's the first named PS1 pilot, but for now I'd assume a 13pt PS1 generic as the more likely outcome.

This could actually be a huge boost for Dengar, but stupidly fragile. Potentially two five-dice PWT attacks per turn, until the Light Scyk's start going poof.

Dengar (33)
Swarm Leader (3)
Cikatro Vizago (0)
R4 Agromech (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Punishing One (12)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The baseline Scyk was always really worth 13 points - a marginally, very marginally, better TIE fighter.

They've given you two more (relatively low-priority) greens in return for a durability downgrade (first hit is crit-proof, second hit is guranteed crit - I'd rather the TIE Fighters three hull at that point.)

Does it balance out? Probably, I guess. Does it give them a niche instead of the Z-95? Well, kinda. Z-95 is still the ship you want as filler, but maybe this 12pt Scyk has some hilarity in super budget aces or EPTs, or something.

Does mean my analysis of its problems was right all along though, which makes me feel better about the world. ;)

Scyk have the evade token over the Z95 and also have hard 1 turn and kturn 5. They make good blocker and good Swarm Leader buffer.

Ketsu Onyo (38)
Swarm Leader (3)
Dengar (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Shadow Caster (3)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Total: 100

I personal have always liked the ship and am just glad to see it getting the help it needed. I have been enjoying a 3 ship list of Point Veterans with push the limits heavy syck title mangler cannon and stealth device. I can't wait till I get another Syck and the light title to add to the fun. I managed to go for a complete game with out any of my ships even being hit.So an extra ship on the flied to help distract everyone should only improve the list

At first I was severely underwhelmed by the Light title, but after thinking about it I believe it opens up some nice swarm options for Scum - they can match the Empire for numbers with the classic 8 ships (9 if the PS1 pilot is not a unique, and I genuinely can't see the unique dot there)

It reasonable for a unique ship AND that one point extra would give interesting list building options for M3A swarms. At least iirc … but what I do know, I forget that bodyguard has a PS requirement too ^-^

example:

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Attanni Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Cartel Spacer (14)

Total: 101

Edited by SEApocalypse

The thing is, FFG have said a lot of things that they later retracted or changed - take the 'we won't change card text' stance, for example. While they may never have planned to have a ship cheaper than a TIE back when it was said, the current state of the game may allow for an 11pt ship - particularly if it's a PS1 Scyk with an auto-crit waiting for it.

It's certainly possible that it's the first named PS1 pilot, but for now I'd assume a 13pt PS1 generic as the more likely outcome.

The PS2 Scyk is in an interesting place against the PS1 TIE Fighter - very, very close in price and stats. It has more greens, and a shield... which is why they hobbled it with the auto-crit. It makes the ship a fair trade for a 12pt swarmer ship.

Releasing a version that's 11 points would completely break the ship, being roughly equivalent to the TIE Fighter and now available in swarms of 9? Yeah, it's not happening.

But a single PS1 pilot, with a special ability that raises the price back to 14 (or even 15, so 12-13pt Light Scyk) baseline would be fun. Then again, so too would a PS1 unique pilot whose special rule was an active disadvantage... and a 13 point (11 with title) suicidal filler pilot.

Either could be fun.

Neither will be spammable.

Edited by Reiver

It seems to be "a thing" with scum. Scum ships with a speed 3 turn are about as rare as rebel ships with a speed 1 turn - the Scyk, Khiraxz and Starviper, Jumpmaster and Aggressor all lack a speed 3 hard turn.

Seriously? The Aggressor?  IG can do sloops that would turn a man's insides to goo but he can't floor it and turn left? So that leaves what? The Scum Y, some new ones like the Pursuit craft..... what!? The freakin' Starviper can't either? What the hell, man? How have you guys even been flying these ships?

Seriously? The Aggressor?  IG can do sloops that would turn a man's insides to goo but he can't floor it and turn left? So that leaves what? The Scum Y, some new ones like the Pursuit craft..... what!? The freakin' Starviper can't either? What the hell, man? How have you guys even been flying these ships?

1 hard and 1 hard gives the same degree of range control that 2 hard and 2 hard does. it's less useful for chasng someone down, but better for knifefighting. 1,2 and 3 banks also give options for navigating asteroids.

I'm quite the fan of Quinns Jast with Hvy title, Deadeye, Chips and an Ion Pulse missile, though in a four or five ship list.  It's nice to Ion a RAC and know where he will be next round for your whole list to wreck him.