Sign in to follow this  
dcgoose86

Movement Preview

Yeah the long awaited news about movement is here! Just read it and its very informative, but the one case i was waiting for didn't got any content (what if two friendly units collide because of the movement they do, or forced to do!?). Anyway, could anybody tell me whats the not mentioned green symbol with the trumped on it, onto the left dial? Is it some kind of Rally :)?

Can't wait for the combat preview and with every news/article i read the more iam on the hype train for this game ^^! ...

Edited by Fomorian

Hmmm seems solid.

It's not stated and this is a guess but it looks like you square up to the tray where the trays meet.

Also worth noting - I heard on one of the preview videos that if you hit a corner the charger gets to decide which facing to square up to.

What I'm curious about is what happens when there's another intervening friendly or enemy tray preventing you from fully squaring up.

ooooh I wonder if  there's a sequence where units square up back into the charging unit and therefore it would be possible to charge and engage two units at once.

Edited by Leowulf

Hmmm seems solid.

It's not stated and this is a guess but it looks like you square up to the tray where the trays meet.

Also worth noting - I heard on one of the preview videos that if you hit a corner the charger gets to decide which facing to square up to.

What I'm curious about is what happens when there's another intervening friendly or enemy tray preventing you from fully squaring up.

ooooh I wonder if  there's a sequence where units square up back into the charging unit and therefore it would be possible to charge and engage two units at once.

The article states that you square up so that at least one of your trays is on full contact. To me that reads square up to the tray borders, which answers your question about blockage.

I was confused about their example of squaring up. It looks to me like two units of 2x2 trays, right? So if you just need to square it so one tray is lined up, why did the skeletons shift to their right instead of to their left? They would have moved a smaller distance and would have been lined up such that one tray from each unit was lined up.

rwm01_diagram4a.jpgrwm01_diagram4b.jpg

My guess is that the lower front tray of skeletons touched the enemy's lower tray of spearmen so they had to "square up"  together. There might also be some further rule or explanation in the actual rulebook or rules reference.

My guess is that you have to square up with as many trays as you possibly can. 

The alternatives seem too prone to gaming the system or else being overly complicated in edge cases. 

Then again, maybe FFG have decided to experiment and go against their typical philosophy of KISS. I'd be down for a nice tome of rules explaining movement, but that seems unlikely given past experience. 

I was confused about their example of squaring up. It looks to me like two units of 2x2 trays, right? So if you just need to square it so one tray is lined up, why did the skeletons shift to their right instead of to their left? They would have moved a smaller distance and would have been lined up such that one tray from each unit was lined up.

That was a bit under-explained in the article. I guess one has to "round up" the trays. For example if after aligning 1.5 trays are touching (like in the example) it should go up to 2 trays.

Another way to make sense of it would be to square up the two touching single trays and the others will follow logically. My two cents.

Edited by King Cheesecake

ooooh I wonder if  there's a sequence where units square up back into the charging unit and therefore it would be possible to charge and engage two units at onkce.

On the Spiel '16 in Essen I had a look in the rules sheet (maybe not the final one). If you collide with friendly units and you could pass this unit (your end position doesn't overlap) and you only overlap one tray each you can move along. Otherwise you just collide but don't get a panic token.

ooooh I wonder if  there's a sequence where units square up back into the charging unit and therefore it would be possible to charge and engage two units at onkce.

On the Spiel '16 in Essen I had a look in the rules sheet (maybe not the final one). If you collide with friendly units and you could pass this unit (your end position doesn't overlap) and you only overlap one tray each you can move along. Otherwise you just collide but don't get a panic token.

This raises more questions than it answers but I thank you none the less  :lol: 

This raises more questions than it answers but I thank you none the less  :lol:

The reason for this is to either represent the units coordinating so that they can get past or because there was a lot of bumpage in playtesting.