Sign in to follow this  
brettpkelly

Battle Report, NJ regionals Jan 2017. Part 1.

This is a battle report for the NJ Regional on Saturday Jan 7. I’m splitting this post into 2 parts because it was getting pretty long. This first post focusses on preparation, my list, and my thoughts on some of the new units. The next part will focus on the matches and I'll have that out by tomorrow.

First off the list I settled on:

Luke’s Finest:

Jedi Luke (12 pts)

Elite Alliance Rangers (12 pts)

Elite Echo Base Troopers (8 pts)

Gideon (3 pts)

R2-D2 (3 pts)

C-3P0 (2 pts)

Super Snipers

I play tested the new Jabba stuff with Kody, the Regional Champ from the Rockville MD tournament, and most of the credit for coming up with this list goes to him. We figured we’d see a lot of scum lists based on how awesome the Rancor is and the quality of the EWeequay Pirates. In order to counter those units we looked at the elite rangers. They have an insane amount of range, consistent damage and become hidden when they get a kill. I was taking shots at 8 accuracy and forgetting to count because it's basically an auto-hit if they're focused. 12 range is certainly not out of the question. 2 rerolls gives you a consistent 6-7 damage. (rules note, you can only get 1 reroll per die, can't reroll the same die twice). 5 health, black die units (looking at you Stormtroopers) absolutely melt to these guys.

After they start getting their focused kills in ROUND 1, they become even stronger with the extra surge from hidden. The command cards they can use are BOSS. Assassinate (hunter): Use during your attack for +3 damage= So good. Call the Vanguard (use at the beginning of a round. A trooper of cost 4+ may perform a move AND an attack) enough said.

Elite Ranger Prime Matchups:

• Regular alliance rangers (1 hit every time, thanks for the hidden condition)
  • Elite Stormtroopers (Want to waste Zillow on my inherent +1 pierce? Fine by me)
  • Rancor (black die might as well be no die)
  • Jabba (if you're not completely tucked away you're an easy target)
  • Captain Terro (Rangers dont need to group up at all, they are lone wolves and can kill terro in 3-4 hits. I killed him in 2 focussed hits once with god rolls)
  • Anything with less than 5 health (thanks for the hidden condition)
  • Anything that can't close the gap (happy to sit back and pick you off)

Elite Ranger counters:

• E Jet Troopers w/ targeting computer (Zillow to add +1 block and converting it to an evade is amazing, these guys took 3+ attacks to kill and deal great damage with three dice and targeting computer attached for a reroll. They have no problem getting in your face so you don't get your rerolls)

• E Echo Base Troopers (Ignore pierce 1 and 8 health means 2-3 hits to kill)

• Bantha/Onar, High health, no defense units (I didn’t face any typical bantha lists, but that type of unit negates the auto pierce 1 and the surge for pierce one, so limits the max damage output a bit. Getting in close eliminates your ability to reroll. Onar seems really good, being able to charge in, hit hard, and give himself a surge cancel when optimal, but I didn’t play against him either.)

The first list we tried was:

eRangers

2xeEBTs

Obi-Wan

Gideon

3PO

This list seemed really strong, with 6 activations and 74 health. The only problem was the Echos really benefit from focus and there wasn’t enough to go around. Without focus and no rerolls, their attack is just ok. Against the Rancor they might as well not even attack. In play testing we mostly just used them for objectives, but 2 sets is a bit of overkill for that and I’d rather have more damage to pair with the already formidable Rangers. Enter Jedi Luke.

Luke’s Finest

For 12 points you get a unit with 16 health, basically 3 actions, built in +1 damage, a built in evade plus white die and a 3 dice attack that you can use twice… not to mention a command card that single handedly wins you the game. In play testing, Jedi Luke was an absolute terror to deal with. I found you want to play conservative with him until your rangers can pick off some units and then rush him in to clean up around the end of round 2. If he’s healthy late in the game he can easily win all by himself. It’s impossible to run from him. His damage floor is a bit disappointing with GBY + 1 but his ceiling is legit and 2 attacks gives you plenty of consistency.

We sacked one of the EBT groups and Obi for Jedi Luke and R2. R2 actually does really well on the ISB map, scomping round 1. On Leia’s map he’s ok, just sitting alone at the top of the map. Not great on the Bantha map, but still he is at least a distraction. Any attacks against R2 are in my opinion wasted attacks. 6 health with a white die and 1/3 chance for evade is plenty tanky. So now our list was:

Luke’s Finest:

Jedi Luke (12 pts)

Elite Alliance Rangers (12 pts)

Elite Echo Base Troopers (8 pts)

Gideon (3 pts)

R2-D2 (3 pts)

C-3P0 (2 pts)

Luke's Finest Strategy

The trick with this list is baiting your opponent into targeting the Echos. It’s easy to accomplish this. Round 1 you leave one of your echos open to an attack (preferably a non-lethal one), near the end of the round but before the Rangers have activated. On the ISB map it was one just hanging out after it opened the door (don’t block LOS for your Rangers), on Bantha’s it was usually in the long hallway, on Leia’s usually down by the objectives. Once one of your Echos is damaged, you have to lure your opponent into dangerous positions by tempting them to finish off your Echo group. At the end of Round 2 your echos should be dead, but the amount of damage you’ve done with Luke and the Rangers will more than make up for it. You’ll find yourself with a healthy Luke and 2-3 Rangers left, while your opponents list has disappeared. Cleaning up from there is easy work.

For command cards I actually was not running grenadier. The rangers don’t get close enough to use it and the EBTs generally didn’t survive long enough. Instead I was running Assassinate which gives you +3 damage on the rangers, giving you a maximum attack of 11 damage and 1 pierce if hidden and focused. Ouch. Also you don’t have to use it until you can see all the dice results so you don’t have to use it if you don’t need it. The new card Positioning Advantage is also a must add to any list in my opinion. +1 dmg for 0 cost and it can be used by any figure, which means no more units getting away with 1 health to go hide in the corner. Call the Vanguard is another must have addition for any list with Erangers. You can use it with the Echos also, which can come in handy for finishing off wounded units that are out of sight of the rangers. Heightened Reflexes comes in handy for getting rid of those pesky white dice, and you can use it AFTER the opponent rolls, so save it for those dodges. Some of the other hunter cards are worth a look, but I decided not to run them including: Tools for the job which gives you damage but is a lot less consistent than Assassinate and Glory of the Kill which can heal your snipers but they really weren’t taking too much damage hiding in the deployment zone. Kody’s command deck was a little different than mine and I think he may have picked those cards. The rest of my deck was pretty self explanatory with the game over card Son of Skywalker (which I only drew twice at the tournament unfortunately), Force Surge, Force Rush, Urgency, Planning, Negation, Take initiative, etc. I also included Camouflage because the Snipers really benefit from that extra surge and you can sometimes cause a miss with it.

Now it was time to put the list to the real test. After a 3 hour drive through the snow up to Trotta’s hobbies in NJ, Kody and I both running Luke’s Finest, we entered the fray.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, as this is an excellent battle report, but shouldn't you have been unable to use Jabba's Realm figures in this tournament? They were released on Dec. 29 and aren't legal for premier tournaments until today, Jan 9 (see https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/legality/).

Edited by tropoFarmer

I don't mean to rain on your parade, as this is an excellent battle report, but shouldn't you have been unable to use Jabba's Realm figures in this tournament? They were released on Dec. 29 and aren't legal for premier tournaments until today, Jan 9 (see https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/legality/).

Premier is for Nationals, Continentals and Worlds.

Good write up, I had a feeling the Rangers would be pretty good. Interested to see how you and your friend fared.

My Regionals are a 6 hour drive so I am on the fence about commitment, would require me to stay over night for at least one night.. but would be a lot of fun :D

Part 2:

There were surprisingly 17 people that showed up, even though the weather was terrible.  There were a lot of familiar faces from the other regionals I attended in Pittsburgh and Rockville.  Right off the bat I noticed that hardly anyone was running Rancor so I was pretty disappointed.  In fact I only faced 1 scum list all day. 

Swiss Rounds

Match 1 - One man's Trash - Scum

My first round I faced what seemed like a pretty well rounded group of Scum:

• 2xEWeequays
  • Greedo
  • Vinto
  • regular Nexu
  • EGamorian Guards
  • Hired guns

He got initiative and took the bottom side of the map.  He positioned his Egamorian Guards to take care of the door to the trash room with his hired guns and one set of pirates ready to jump in for crates and everyone else more towards the long hallway.  Round 1 I spread out my echos, one to open the long hallway door and the other to shoot at the door to the boxes.  Round 1 he pushed one of his pirate groups up into the long hall rather early before my door was open, leaving both pirates very exposed.  I repositioned my echos so one opened the door to the long hallway, then I moved R2 to the terminal giving me the last two activations to use Rangers and Luke to take care of the pirates and giving him two juicy targets to shoot at that I really didn’t care about.  Greedo and Vinto came up and got shots off on the echo, but the nexu learned about the range of the eRangers and got killed in one shot before he could activate.  The other two rangers got the pirates started for Luke.  By the time Luke finished his activation at the beginning of round 2, the pirates, Vinto and the nexu had all perished.  My opponent resigned shortly after.  40-0

Match 2 – Constant Motion – Rebels

His list:

• 2xrAlliance Ranger (18)
  • eEcho Base Troopers (8)
  • Lando (6)
  • Gideon (3)
  • Mak (3)
  • C3P0 (2)

To be honest I don’t quite have Nelvaanian Warzone figured out at all and I can’t wait for it to be on the way out.  That said I played this one a little more loosely than my last match.  I got the initiative and took the side with the stalagmites.  I had my whole army set to push into the objective area, except R2 sitting by himself at the top door, ready to go chill by himself.  My opponent surprised me by pushing one set of his rangers into the middle of the map to take pot shots at R2, who survived all 3 shots without rolling any dodges.  This was definitely a mistake for him, and I had 2 options for taking advantage: either take out his whole card of rangers or push into the bottom with more units than him and win the objectives.  I decided to rush one of my echos at the objectives, and swing the other one back to open the door, keeping both of my options open.  He pushed Mak up and took a focussed shot at the echo, dealing decent damage but not killing him.  His last two groups to activate were Lando and regular rangers, with no focus.  I decided to go for his rangers and took out two of them, the last one sitting very exposed in the middle, but my rangers were out in the open too.  I was planning on activating them first in round 2 to retreat, but now I had to decide if I wanted to push Luke in or not.  Lando came in and got 1 shot off at a ranger, but didn’t kill him.  I played aggressive with Luke came in and finished off the first set of rangers and taking a swing at Lando.  His rangers took shots at Luke, but Luke’s built in evade is very useful against regular ranger, even though I only rolled the 1 defense on white.  I activated Luke at the beginning of round 2 taking care of another 2 rangers, forcing his last ranger to hide at the top of the map.  My lone Echo at the objectives actually ended up controlling one and contesting another, so at the beginning of round 2 the score was 12-3 with me having a big unit advantage, but with him having a slight position advantage.  He finished off my echo, but I ended up killing Lando and Gideon with my rangers and he resigned in round 3.  Mak actually did OK but taking a focus away from a ranger is not great.  40-12. 2-0.

Match 3 – Reconnaissance – Rebels

My memory is really fuzzy on this one so I apologize for that.  I don’t remember his exact list, I know there was at least 1 set of regular Rangers, Gideon, at least 1xeEBT and 3P0.  I think he also had another set of eEBTs, not sure what else.  I finally got son of skywalker off for the first time in this match and like I said in my last post, that is the GAME OVER card.  He had his focused Rangers hiding in his deployment zone (the one with the stairs) the whole game and was not able to get a single shot off with any of them until round 3.  I don’t remember the exact score, I think he scored about 8 from cams and might have killed Luke, but I ended up winning 40-20ish.  3-0.

Match 4 – Fallout – Imperials

The last match of Swiss was against a guy I’ve met before at other regionals, Lucas.  He is a great player and has a very good understanding of the game.  His list:

• 2x eJet troopers w/ targeting computer (16)
  • 2x eStormtroopers (18)
  • 2x rImperial Officers (4)
  • Zillow Technique
  • Rule by fear

Lucas took out Kody in his second Match, so he already had a successful crack at my list.  I hadn’t faced jet troopers yet, but I knew they were good against rangers.  His list leads to an interesting predicament, take out the Jet troopers, or ignore them and go for the stormies.  Both deal great damage with the Jet troopers being a bit beefier, but the stormies getting focus when they die.  Not an easy decision. 

He ended up snatching the middle objective with a Stormtrooper one action before I was planning on moving in there.  That left me with a choice of trying to kill his Stormtrooper with my unfocussed echos (my rangers were 1 space away from having shots), trying to pick off his Jet troopers and let him score 2 objectives (9 points per objective is ridiculous), or ignoring both and trying to get at the bulk of his other Stormtroopers.  At this point his Jet troopers were extremely exposed and I thought I could take out at least 1 set of them before the end of round 1.  I quickly learned how tanky those things are, especially with several 3 block rolls and several Zillow discards converted to evades.  I only killed 1 jet trooper with my whole ranger activation.  I threw Luke into the Fray in Round 2 and he killed a couple Stormtroopers, but died by exact damage, right before I picked up Son of Skywalker.  One move that really hurt was I used gideon’s push ability to put my echo in position to grab the middle objective round 1, instead of using planning, which would have gotten me Son of Skywalker just in time.  I’m still not sure that would have been enough, as his jet troopers were ravaging my snipers.  He ended up winning 40-11.  3-1

I was pretty happy with how Swiss had gone, although disappointed I didn’t face any Rancors and only got to use Son of Skywalker once.  Next was on to the Top Cut.  I was 2nd and Kody was 3rd and the list we were running was definitely making an impression, especially because my 2nd and 3rd opponents had to face Kody right after me, so they got a double dose of Luke’s Finest. 

Part 3 coming soon

I haven't seen the Rancor do a whole lot honestly, He's a little too slow even with Beast Tamer, and there are enough Pierce1-2-3 in the game that the black die just doesn't defend very well against multiple shots.  The Rancors I've played and played against die really fast and don't make up their points. (maybe we're doing it wrong or playing on the wrong maps).  eWeequay are pretty weak as well, I was against them in the beginning and you guys on the board talked me into giving them a chance, but they just don't perform well.  Sure, they're better than Trandoshans, but its so hard to get them in position and Hidden, and then they use the Hidden token and get killed, just at a farther distance.

Luke is a monster like I thought he would be, even when he flubs his dice, he still scares your opponent into doing weird things so his influence is felt, I'd say more than a Rancor. 

I'm with the OP, the All Rangers are pretty boss. You have not met up against Jabba though, so I still wonder about their total efficiency. The built in Pierce is awesome and the rerolls are great if you can keep 5+ away.

It's good to see Rangers and eRangers doing well but I can't quite see where you're high damage assessment comes from. 

With Hidden and without rerolls, the eRangers have a 24% chance to do 5 or more damage against a black die. 

Rerolls obviously help there.... maybe 10-20% but i'd hardly call that "absolutely melt" territory. The range is obviously significant, no doubt about that. 

Without hidden, that chance drops to 4%. The blue dice just aren't great at damage.
They do benefit a lot from focus, that's true. 

Their damage floor is 2 (4 with hidden) and a pierce 

Damage ceiling is 5dmg 1 pierce (6 damage 1 pierce or 5 damage, 2 pierce when hidden). 

So that means, when not hidden, they need a max roll and the stormtrooper needs a single block on the black dice to die. Even an evade will save him. Zillo obviously screws them over pretty hard. 

The 2 rerolls are significant, there's no doubt about that. You may well get close to the max roll quite often, but you might also just roll another surge for an unnecessary +3acc. Basically, half of the blue dice is not good. 

The fact there's 3 of them is probably the bigger deal. They have more health and do a little bit more damage than stormtroopers at much longer range. 

A focused eRanger is pretty amazing, I'll admit. 

Also.... what do you (and Kody) think about running Obi-wan (and some 1pt upgrade) instead of the Echo Base Troopers? 
Bit less health and melee, but more use out of force user cards, nice control skill and hits like a truck. 

**Part 3**

**Round of 8 – Get to your stations – Imperials**

I can’t express how excited I was to see this guy’s list in action.  I am so glad someone was running it and ecstatic that he made the cut with it.  And it was his first tournament!  Yes, you guessed it, someone brought:

• VADER
  • RANCOR
  • BANTHA
  • ZILLOW
  • Temporary Alliance

Wow, I couldn’t wait.  Now, for other lists this might seem daunting.  If you don’t take out one of the three beasts in Round 2, you’re going to have a bad time.  However, for my list this is a prime matchup.  Rancor and Bantha become much less of a threat without Beast Tamer.  Luke and eRangers chew through black dice.  You can only use Zillow once per round and I had potentially 5 piercing attacks per round.  I was pretty disappointed that we were playing on ISB headquarters, because I really wanted to see the full potential of Rancor + Bantha.  Unfortunately it was nearly impossible for him to maneuver those things in the small hallways of the map.  I decided to focus on Vader first and ended up killing both Vader and the Bantha by the end of round 2.  The rancor was doing his best to hit all the dials on the security stations but his claws were a little too big.  40-0

**Semi-finals – Lair of the Dianoga – Rebels - Mirror Match**

The other 3 people in the top 4 had all won a regional tournament before, so at this point I automatically qualified for the World’s seat.  Sweet!  I still wanted that trophy though!  Kody won his match so we were slated to play each other on the Dianoga map.  This was especially sad because our list is built to win on the Dianoga vs. any other list.  So not only did I have to play Kody in a mirror match, we had to waste our best map against each other.  We offered to switch with the 1 and 4 Lucas and James, because they were friends, but they were too smart for that.

As long as we didn’t make any mistakes, this matchup was basically going to come down to who rolled better or who drew Son of Skywalker first.  I got initiative and took the top side.  This is the first time I ever wanted initiative, because it meant I’d get the first crack at the Dianoga.  

The first round was very tense, both of us mirroring each other until the last two actions.  Opening both doors with our echos, pushing luke up to get within two attack range of the objective, focusing up two of our rangers.  We both had our rangers, luke, and r2 left.  I decided to take the first crack at the Dianoga.  One focused attack, 6 pierce 1.  Then 5 pierce 2.  Now I had 1 unfocused ranger left and the Dianoga had 12 health.  I decided to take a shot at luke from across the map instead of the Dianoga and actually hit him for 3 damage.  If he had assassinate in his hand I was screwed.  His rangers activated.  First shot: 5 damage, Second shot, 4 more damage.  The Dianoga had 3 health left with one more chance for his unfocussed ranger….

And he only did 2 damage.  I can’t stress this enough **positioning advantage** is a must have command card, would have completely changed the game.  I ran up with Luke and finished off the beast and still had a chance to run away.  14-11 so far, not bad considering it could have been 17-8.  Turns out having initiative and not taking that third shot at the dianoga really paid off, although in hindsight probably better to go second.  He ran his Luke over to the long hallway and we both pushed our R2’s up to the terminal. 

Round 2 he activated his rangers to take shots at mine still a bit out of position across the map.  He killed one in two hits and injured a second.  I had a slight lead in points, but was losing in material.  I honestly considered activating R2 first and trying to stun luke, the odds are 1/36 (he would have to blank on the white die and I’d have to roll dmg, 2 surge on yellow to eat through his inherent evade).  But that would mean no scomping, because I had to move to get there.  I decided to be patient with my rangers and focus them up since his had activated and there was no immediate danger.  I went with my echos first and got some shots off on luke, dealing about 6 more damage.  His Echos were moving around the other side of the map to secure the other terminal and surround my depleted ranger group I think he should have used a double move with Luke to get a swing at an echo and run away, but he decided to move in and take two thwaks at my echo trooper and kill him and then sit back behind R2.  My R2 scomped and took a shot at his R2, dealing 1 Damage!  His R2 scomped and took a shot at my R2, dealing 1 damage…

With my 2 remaining rangers, now both focused I moved to the hallway and took shots at Luke.  I had a chance to take shots at his rangers earlier in the round, but at this point it was Luke or bust.  I didn’t kill him, but he was on his last legs.  No dodges thankfully.  I ran in with my Luke using force rush and killed him.  At least now I didn’t have to worry about Son of Skywalker. 

At the end of Round 2 it was 26-11 with him down Luke and me down a ranger and an echo.  He used call the Vanguard at the beginning of round 3 and finished off my weakened echo, but it was my Luke’s turn.  I ran into his deployment zone, and took a swing at a ranger, doing 6 damage.  I killed Gideon with my second attack and used Celebration to gain 7 victory points, 32-11.  Then I used force Surge to finish off the wounded ranger.  He started wailing on Luke, but didn’t kill him.  I used assassinate on one of his echos and one shot him with my last ranger.  Now it was 32-11 but he had 2 rangers and it was his turn.  Still no Son of Skywalker. 

He ended up finishing off Luke and R2, but I killed his last echo and after a bit of “hey what is the score again?  I think I counted up wrong” (My fault I forgot to add Luke or something to my points.)  The game was over before either of us knew it.  40-26, my lone ranger surviving with 3 health.

**Finals – Get to your stations – Imperials**

James, who won Regionals in Pittsburgh at Mr. Nice Guy games, managed to beat Lucas in the semi-final round.  Evan though I wanted a rematch with Lucas, I was so relieved not to have to face him again.  James was running:

• captain Terro w/ Suvivalist (8)
  • eJet Troopers w/Targetting computer (8)
  • 2x eStormtroopers (18)
  • 2x imperial officer (4)
  • Zillow Technique (1)
  • Rule by Fear (1)

He got initiative and chose the side with the stairs.  During play testing I was using the Rangers against a captain Terro list on ISB headquarters and killed Terro in two focused shots before he got to activate round 1.  After deployment James’ Terro was sitting in that exact same spot, right at the end of the long straight hallway between deployment zones. I was licking my chops.

It was like 9 PM by the time this game started and I was feeling super confident.  I don't remember all the details but this is approximately what happened.

I focused up my rangers and pushed Luke up 2 spaces, while waiting to see if he’d open his door.  He pushed one of his stormies up with an officer and sat on a terminal.  I scomped with R2.  Then he activated his first set of stormies, and opened his door and retreated back into the hall.  One of his troopers ran behind the lone security station to control it, and ran the other into the side hall to controll the objective closer to my side.  I ran my echos up and opened the door, leaving one sitting right in the middle of the hall (but not blocking line of site for my rangers).  The other I ran in to contest the side security station.  My next activation I was ready to blow Terro to bits with my rangers, I was hoping James would activate Terro last, underestimating the range of focused snipers, but he was too smart for that.  He activated Terro, moved up, took a shot at my echo, and tucked himself in a safe perpendicular hallway on his side where I couldn’t get any shots off.  I activated the rangers and picked off one of the jet troopers that was exposed.  His other 3 stormtroopers ran into the 2 objective hall.  There were now 2 troopers on the top terminal in the side hall and 2 on the bottom terminal.  Luke ran in and killed one of the troopers on the bottom terminal, finished his move running up towards the top terminal damaging a trooper for 4 (zillow grrr) but I had force surge to finish him off.  At the end of the round he controlled 1 objective and I controlled 0.  0-3 with my Echo in the middle taking 2 damage.

Round 2 he reinforced his dead Stormtrooper in the 2 objective hall.  I managed to kill 1 of his 2 sitting in there with Luke (and positioning advantage), the other got away with 1 health, but I left Luke in a spot where he was going to take a hit from the other security station.  He ran terro up and weakened and damaged one of my rangers and 3PO, but he couldn’t finish the ranger off.  I decided to activate my rangers and ignore Terro since he already went.  I went after his second jet trooper and finished him off, and retreated my rangers to the deployment zone, and hiding one behind R2 at the terminal.  He activated his stormies and finished off the echo and took a shot at R2, doing several damage.  

The rest of the details are really foggy from here but some moments that stood out: He finished off R2, 3P0 and he one shot Gideon.  I decided to pick off his lone focussed 1 health stormtrooper hiding in his deployment zone by running up 8 spaces with Luke, just in case he had reinforcements.  (I could have taken 2 swings at Terro, which would have been also a fine play).  By the last round I had just Luke and all 3 rangers, and he had stormtroopers and terro.  I was very ahead on points though, with 6 left to win.  I also pulled son of skywalker, so I was able to run down and kill a stormtrooper to control 2 security stations at the very end and get to 40 points.

40-25  
Regional Champion!

**Closing thoughts**

I can't stress enough how much credit Kody deserves for creating this list.  He is the real mastermind.  We were the only two people running elite Rangers and we both placed in the top 4.  I also want to say that everyone I met and played with was AWESOME.  Had a great time in every match and there was no animosity, complaining, or other tomfoolery.  Huge thanks to Trotta's Hobbies for hosting and putting it all together.  Finally, down with trooper lists!

It's good to see Rangers and eRangers doing well but I can't quite see where you're high damage assessment comes from. 

With Hidden and without rerolls, the eRangers have a 24% chance to do 5 or more damage against a black die. 

Rerolls obviously help there.... maybe 10-20% but i'd hardly call that "absolutely melt" territory. The range is obviously significant, no doubt about that. 

Without hidden, that chance drops to 4%. The blue dice just aren't great at damage.

They do benefit a lot from focus, that's true. 

Their damage floor is 2 (4 with hidden) and a pierce 

Damage ceiling is 5dmg 1 pierce (6 damage 1 pierce or 5 damage, 2 pierce when hidden). 

So that means, when not hidden, they need a max roll and the stormtrooper needs a single block on the black dice to die. Even an evade will save him. Zillo obviously screws them over pretty hard. 

The 2 rerolls are significant, there's no doubt about that. You may well get close to the max roll quite often, but you might also just roll another surge for an unnecessary +3acc. Basically, half of the blue dice is not good. 

The fact there's 3 of them is probably the bigger deal. They have more health and do a little bit more damage than stormtroopers at much longer range. 

A focused eRanger is pretty amazing, I'll admit. 

Also.... what do you (and Kody) think about running Obi-wan (and some 1pt upgrade) instead of the Echo Base Troopers? 

Bit less health and melee, but more use out of force user cards, nice control skill and hits like a truck. 

I did the math for rerolls, I dont have it in front of me right now but I'll post it tomorrow.  They definitely need focus to take out stormtroopers, but when focussed it's almost guaranteed.

Regional Champion!
  Finally, down with trooper lists!

Congratulations very thorough write up. These are the ones I like to read

Although, I consider your list a TROOPER list just as much as any other. Just because you don't have Reinforcements or Grenadier, you still took 2 sets of troopers, they just happened to be elite troopers.  When I see a list of all unique characters or creatures take the world by storm, we can dance on the grave of trooper spam.

Edited by buckero0

Regional Champion!

Finally, down with trooper lists!

Congratulations very thorough write up. These are the ones I like to read

Although, I consider your list a TROOPER list just as much as any other. Just because you don't have Reinforcements or Grenadier, you still took 2 sets of troopers, they just happened to be elite troopers.  When I see a list of all unique characters or creatures take the world by storm, we can dance on the grave of trooper spam.

Not exactly. I would consider it a hybrid. Half his list are uniques in points. It resembles more of a hunter/force user list than a trooper list if you're going by command cards. He has like one trooper command card in his deck. But yeah I guess it depends in how one would define a trooper list.

Here are the numbers for unfocussed rangers:
(Assuming you always reroll the 1 damage or 1 surge sides.  It's actually a little more complicated than that when you factor in range and stuff, but this gives you a pretty good idea)

Not hidden (or hidden vs. 1 evade):

%               DMG   Pierce

0.25           5         1

0.0625       4         2

0.416667   4         1

0.041667   3         2

0.194444   3         1

0.034722   2         2

Hidden:

%               DMG     Pierce

0.25           6           1

0.25           5           2

0.166667   5           1

0.229167   4           2

0.027778   4           1

0.069444   3           2

0.006944   2           2

The math gets more complicated if you add in a focus, because you won't always reroll the 1 damage blue die sides, it depends on how much range and damage you need, and whether you rolled the 1 surge side of the green die (which gets priority for rerolls) but your median result will be either +2 damage or +1 damage and 1 more pierce (for the results that only show pierce 1).  The median for non-focused is 4 dmg pierce 1, but the median is closer to 6 pierce 2 with focus because you're almost guaranteed to get at least 1 surge.  I'm going to have to do the math later to figure it out for sure...

Edited by brettpkelly

Taking the math one step further: If not hidden you have a 8.33333% chance of killing a full health eStormtrooper rolling black.  If hidden you have a 43% chance to kill a full health stormtrooper. 

If focused and not hidden, you have a .34% chance of rolling only 3 icons, which includes the results for 2 pierce 2, 3 pierce 2, and 4 pierce 1. 

99.66% chance to roll at least 4 icons when focused.

If focused, your odds for getting exactly 4 icons is 7.986%.  This includes the results for 3 pierce 2, 4 pierce 2, and 5 pierce 1.  

91.168% chance to roll at least 5 icons when focused.  the worst you can do with 5 icons is 3 surges and 2 damage for 4 pierce 2.  The odds of that exact result is 1.080%.  The second worst you can do is 5 pierce 2 (3 damage and 2 surges). 

Therefore, with focus you have a 90.088% to roll at least 5 pierce 2.  (a little higher if you ignore my assumptions of only rerolling 1 icon die sides and prioritizing the green reroll, because then you might also reroll the 1 surge/1damage side of the green if you're showing 3 surges, depending on the defense results and how much damage you need)

Edited by brettpkelly

Forgot to thank you for this excellent write up by the way. And congratulations on your victories.

Question: Now that you've finished your regional, what adjustments are you thinking about making to your deck?

For example, I noticed you've taken celebration for the +4 VPs when you kill a unique. Would taking something else benefit you better against a non-unique list like on your 4th match (Primary Target, Toxic Dart)? 

Celebration helped me win my semi-final round, but that was definitely the last card i put in my deck, so it would be the first one to go if I found a better alternative. I didn't think toxic dart would get too much use because the rangers don't want to get within 3 spaces of an enemy, they want to be at least 5 away when they attack and retreat further after if possible. Most opponents won't be too concerned with taking the one strain. (Nothing else in my list deals it). Weakened is good against certain units like luke and obi who get up in your face and have built in evade, so it does have a bit of situational appeal, maybe I'll play around with it.

Primary target is a really good card for the snipers, I used it in practice and got some good use out of it. Camouflage is a bit more versatile, but primary target has higher damage output, so that might get swapped.

Tough luck should be in almost every list right now, as well as negation, take initiative, element of surprise, urgency, and positioning advantage. Planning is a must to get to son of Skywalker faster. I really like heart of freedom (how can you not) but force surge won out based on how good it is against zillow. There's not too much room for variation beyond that, unless you try to squeeze in Grenadier, which would have been nice to have vs those imperial lists. Assassinate was excellent in the tournament though so I'd still recommend that over grenadier.

Primary Target is excellent, but only works against the highest point model on the map.  But definitely worth it in a list with multiple Hunters.  Do you think it will be difficult to keep the Rangers at range 5+ in future maps?

Primary Target is excellent, but only works against the highest point model on the map.  But definitely worth it in a list with multiple Hunters.  Do you think it will be difficult to keep the Rangers at range 5+ in future maps?

Unless someone can see into the future, it is impossible to say as we don't know what the next map(s) will be.

well, yeah, but the maps that came out with the Greedo/Obi/Inq wave and most of the Jabba (not all) are if I recall much different in make up.  Lots more long, open areas in some of them, and then the others are the complete opposite, lots of twisty hallways with lots of intervening terrain.

Right now the Rangers are pretty good on Leia and most of the Bantha maps, ISB is a bit more challenging because besides the west side, its easy to dodge in between and lose line of sight.

I'd think they would excel at Obiwan's or Greedo's map as well as some of the other Bespin maps like Bossks.  I know one of the Jabba maps are really small and compact, another is really open and large in space.  So I was curious to see if keeping the range was possible.

To be honest I have only been playing on the tournament maps, haven't even taken a look at any of the new ones except obi-wans since that is a likely candidate for the next map in the rotation.  They excel on long straight passages without any weird obstacles, so on ISB you control the main hall between deployment zones, on Coruscant Landfill you control either the trash room or the long hallway between deployment zones.  You don't want hallways that bend, or maps with lots of hiding spots that can be used to sneak up to you.  You also don't want to get surrounded, although that is pretty hard to avoid by round 3.  I think Leia's map is actually their weakest, because the deployment zones are only 6 spaces apart, compared to 11 on ISB, so it's pretty easy for your opponents whole list to be in your face by round 2.

I found that at some point in every match I got a shot off at the highest figure cost model so I think the restriction on Primary Target isn't that big of a deal.  

"If he had assassinate in his hand I was screwed."

FWIW, can't assassinate the dianoga, it's not a figure.

"I honestly considered activating R2 first and trying to stun luke, the odds are 1/36 (he would have to blank on the white die and I’d have to roll dmg, 2 surge on yellow to eat through his inherent evade)."

R2 has that built in surge though. Still pretty dicey though.

Edited by bobbywhiskey

"If he had assassinate in his hand I was screwed."

FWIW, can't assassinate the dianoga, it's not a figure.

"I honestly considered activating R2 first and trying to stun luke, the odds are 1/36 (he would have to blank on the white die and I’d have to roll dmg, 2 surge on yellow to eat through his inherent evade)."

R2 has that built in surge though. Still pretty dicey though.

Ah yeah, so the 1 dmg 1 surge side would have worked too, so 1/18