Sign in to follow this  
Thrawn86

Non-competitive Phantom+Bombers list

I play with friends and family, and tried this list yesterday. I rarely ever use bombers, so I need more practice with properly setting up missile shots. This list faced off against Ryad/x7 and 2 Defender/D's with ions. The second round my opponent slow rolled, and I didn't go far enough to shoot (2mm off). The third round I was barely able to get the missile off b/c my opponent should have chose speed 4 instead of 3. After the initial engagement I never got another missile off, but my bombers rolled well with their main attacks. In the end I won and only lost a bomber. Whisper with gunner is a beast against x7's. Every single time Ryad either evaded my first attack or took 1 hit. My wife and daughter decided they like Defender/x7's a lot more than the Defender/D title since they only get one modified attack, and can't survive as long. 

What do you think of this list vs a Whisper + 2 Defender/x7's list? 98 points gives me initiative, whereas Phantom + 2 Defender/x7's chews up a full 100 points, which means I lose initiative to a sub 100 point list. 

"Whisper" — TIE Phantom 32 Veteran Instincts 1 Fire-Control System 2 Gunner 5 Advanced Cloaking Device 4 Ship Total: 44     Gamma Squadron Veteran — TIE Bomber 19 Crack Shot 1 Extra Munitions 2 Homing Missiles 5 Long-Range Scanners 0 Ship Total: 27     Gamma Squadron Veteran — TIE Bomber 19 Crack Shot 1 Extra Munitions 2 Homing Missiles 5 Long-Range Scanners 0

Ship Total: 27

Not sure about Gunner + FCS on the phantom. Chances are your opponent will prefer to let 1 hit go through from the first attack instead of using tokens to prevent it then take a fullly modified 4 dice.
And it makes the Phantom really pricey, with really little HP, that could be dangerous.

Edited by Giledhil

Not sure about Gunner + FCS on the phantom. Chances are your opponent will prefer to let 1 hit go through from the first attack instead of using tokens to prevent it then take a fullly modified 4 dice.

And it makes the Phantom really pricey, with really little HP, that could be dangerous.

What less-expensive combo do you recommend that can handle Defender/x7's? 

Gunner works fine as long as your opponent doesn't realize to let one hit through on the first shot.  However, I find rebel captive just as good in most cases, and its 2 points less.  Others like Agent Kallus, and it works decently when you are facing only 2 or 3 enemy ship lists, but becomes less valuable against lists featuring 4+ ships.

Edited by blade_mercurial

Conner Nets on the GSVs would help to block those K-Turns that Defenders love.

Whisper (40)
-Advanced Cloaking Device
-Vetera Instincts
-Fire-Control Sistem
-Intelligence Agent.

When you Decloack, activate Intelligence Agent and observe the dial of the X7 and you know where you must place so that they do not shoot you.

Good call! Except I don't have any Conner Nets... Do they come in any expansions besides the Tie Punisher? That ship is so ugly I refuse to spend money on it and put it on my shelf  :D

I'm mainly playing against 3 ship lists. I'll have to look into some other less expensive crew options. 

Edited by Thrawn86

Good call! Except I don't have any Conner Nets... Do they come in any expansions besides the Tie Punisher? That ship is so ugly I refuse to spend money on it and put it on my shelf  :D

I'm mainly playing against 3 ship lists. I'll have to look into some other less expensive crew options. 

Conner Nets come in the K-Wing and Ghost expansions.

Punishers come with Cluster Mines.

Conner Nets come in the K-Wing and Ghost expansions.

Punishers come with Cluster Mines.

Ugh, the K-Wing is the second ugliest ship in the game... I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I probably won't ever acquire a Ghost either. Maybe I should look up some Conner Nets on eBay. 

K-wings and Ghost (both excellent ships with cool upgrades) include Conner Nets.