Sign in to follow this  
Seastan

The Quest Championship 2016

Steward's fear > Treachery of Rhudauer - Feat is the better quest in my book as it doesn't have an obvious game plan like rhudauer (turtling).

I'm curious what you mean by this comment.  In Rhudaur you get 5 turns to get ready and get a clue, then Thaudir is coming for you whether you like it or not.  If you didn't get a clue, then get ready for undefended attacks and +3 attack shadow cards.  I don't see how turtling is a good strategy for this quest.

Although I like the quest, I do turtle for Rhudaur because I often stretch myself too thin if I try for an objective. I find it better to just equalize questing, and clear out what's already in play so that when Thaurdir comes out I'm ready for him. Though in multiplayer, where you can have a dedicated questing deck, it's totally viable to go for an objective.

Really loving how this championship is going, thanks again for running it Seastan. It is exciting that we are now up to elimination rounds and the swiss rounds are over (as great as they were). Here are my votes for this first round of elimination:

Helm's Deep vs Breaking of the Fellowship - I'm going to cast a vote that shocks even me for the first match up!!! I think Helm's Deep is such a great quest and that the developers did such a perfect job with it (mechanics AND difficulty) that I am disappointed I am not voting for it once all is said and done. Yes it is amazing but is it the best quest in the game? Yeah probably not, its a little bit too challenging/frustrating (as it should be though) and maybe even a little too grand or epic. Breaking of the Fellowship also has amazing mechanics and is an extremely unique and well designed quest. My one pet hate for this quest is missing out on The Seat of Seeing though and I usually have to replay the quest a few times before I am lucky enough to see it appear (and not be discarded from quest effects). I love the four quest stages you get to choose from at the end (that all have beneficial effects for players) and I love that other players get to stay at these stages until the end while the first player tries to escape with Frodo. Someone else said it above and I couldn't agree more; this quest is definitely the best of the quests that split staging areas up or force players to split up. I really love that you can still use Ranged and Sentinel (not being able to use these in Fog on the Barrow Downs and Foundations kind of sucks as much as it makes perfect thematic sense) on top of the quest stage effects you can use to buff team mates. Even the way the encounter cards and quest itself deal with this is really cool featuring various effects that can move locations or enemies between the various staging areas while they hunt for the Hobbits and attempt to take them captive. Half just to mix things up and half because I think Helm's Deep is just a bit too epic or grand to win the championship I'm voting for Breaking of the Fellowship . It is a fantastic and iconic quest just like Helm's Deep but is a little more forgiving, interesting and has to be one of the best quests in the game as far as multiplayer (as opposed to solo) or multiple staging areas are concerned. 

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields vs Journey Along the Anduin - Here goes another crazy vote! First off Pelennor Fields is amazing, in fact I think I like it more than Helm's Deep which is really saying something. It is one of the most epic quests we have so far and beating it is immensely satisfying and fun. It also represents yet another truly iconic moment in Lord of the Rings. There are a few minor issues I believe though such as the mechanic with the escaping/trapped allies (if you get all allies with 1 hitpoint this part of the quest often doesn't really function properly). Minor issues such as these combined with the fact that Journey Along the Anduin STILL remains relevant today even though it is from the core set of the game is what cemented my vote. Think about the core set. We get Passage which is utterly unplayable with todays card pool (unless you enjoy winning in three rounds without any chance of ever losing) if you don't play the Nightmare version and Escape from Dol Guldur which is more of a niche quest that also doesn't have much replayability and is more of a specific challenge than anything else. Then we have Journey which is highly replayable (and variable!), has simple but extremely effective mechanics and is one of the main quests used by players to test decks out. This quest has legitimately stood the test of time and is still loved by the community. You cannot say the same for Passage or Escape (there will be plenty of people who love both but not the vast majority of the community like Journey) or really even most of the quests from the first cycle. Most of them are just too easy, too inconsistent or too simple mechanics wise compared to the quests we get now. Journey will forever remain relevant and honestly probably deserves to win this championship for that alone! 

Foundations of Stone vs Wastes of Eriador - I don't think either of these quests deserve a spot in the top 16 to be honest. I do really like both quests but they are certainly not among my favourites. Although I really like Foundations (especially the art on the Nightmare version) I'm going to have to go with Wastes of Eriador here. I have a love/hate relationship with Wastes as it is an amazing quest but is just so **** frustrating at times. Uncancellable shadow effects and treacheries every second turn is just ridiculous and the treachery card Nightfall is easily my most hated treachery in the entire game. Seeing multiple copies of it appear during a single game and it wreaking absolute havoc on you is not an unusual occurrence and can make you want to flip the table. As much as I am voting for it this particular round I would be disappointed if Wastes won the whole thing.

Ruins of Belegost vs Seventh Level - Now if it was Nightmare Seventh Level my vote would probably be different as NM Seventh Level is an AMAZING quest. The original is just too simple and basic for me to vote for it against what is easily my favourite of the POD/Special Event quests. Ruins of Belegost is just so **** amazing and feels like what certain quests in the past should have been like (I'm thinking a few quests in Dwarrowdelf). The only one issue is difficulty but I have beaten it a couple of times and although each time it was such a disgustingly long and intense game it is so **** satisfying getting a win agains this quest. People say it is too hard but I don't find it anywhere as difficult as quests like Nightmare Amon Din or Battle of Carn Dum. I also find that that hardest part is mid to late quest where you are trying to find your way to the final quest stage and can potentially be forced to clear several different copies of Stage 3 before you are able to advance. You have to reveal an encounter card per player when arriving at Stage 3A, C or E which on top of the Hazard mechanic and plenty of surge can easily overwhelm you. If I had to make a single change to this quest I would remove this additional revealing of extra encounter cards from the three copies of Stage 3 or would at least reduce it to a single card not one per player. That being said I like that this issue occurs late in a game so you have time to try and prepare yourself and are not getting your face smashed in within the first few rounds. If a quest is going to be hard and I am going to suffer a ton of losses before grinding out a win I'd much rather face those losses late game during the majority of matches rather than within the first few rounds. This way at least the losses are fun and I get somewhere rather than just having to constantly scoop, shuffle and restart. 

Journey in the Dark vs Conflict at the Carrock - Conflict at the Carrock although simple is surely a classic and that can be seen by how well it has done. That being said it does not compare to Journey in the Dark. Such a pivotal and important section of Lord of the Rings that this quest captures perfectly. It also has some truly breathtaking art (especially on locations) and is one of the most exciting quests in the game in my opinion as you are always watching that Balrog timer and trying to get as far as possible (or escaping altogether!) before it goes off.

Murder at the Prancing Pony vs Flight of the Stormcaller - The matchup I care least about. Only played Murder once and wasn't much of a fan at all and don't have any immediate plans to play it again. Flight of the Stormcaller wasn't something I was overly impressed by either and although the concept and mechanics are really cool this quest didn't captivate me like it did most users on the forums when it was released. Have to give this one to Flight of the Stormcaller just for how unique it is and how cool the concept of chasing the Stormcaller through the quest stages is, also alternative win conditions are always great. 

Steward's Fear vs Treachery of Rhudaur - If Treachery somehow beats Steward I would be incredibly shocked. Steward is one of the best quests in the game to me (minus the potential for location lock) and the Nightmare version is great as well. Don't get me wrong I like Treachery as well but it is not even close to a top tier quest for me whereas Steward most definitely is. Only thing about Steward is it isn't exactly an iconic quest as it doesn't exactly scream Lord of the Rings (no Orc or Ringwraith enemies or anything else iconic) with its detective/investigator feel (clue cards, plot cards etc). It is certainly more thematic and iconic than Murder at the Prancing pony though that's for sure.

A Knife in the Dark vs Battle of Five Armies - I love A Knife in the Dark but Battle of Five Armies is just so epic and whats more is the only decent quest from both Hobbit boxes! (I actually do like Over the Misty Mountains Grim as well but Battle is a better quest and is certainly more epic). Definitely a close one but in the end I have to vote for Battle of Five Armies. 

We have such an interesting bunch of quests remaining and although many amazing quests didn't make it I really like how eclectic our final 16 is. We have a few early quests that are still very playable and enjoyable even with todays card pool, two POD quests, a handful of the best saga quests and a couple of very unique and clever newer quests such as Wastes and Flight. I would be happy if any of the following end up winning the championship as they are all honestly classics: Helm's Deep, Pelennor Fields, Battle of Five Armies, Breaking of the Fellowship, Ruins of Belegost, Journey Along the Anduin or Journey in the Dark. I do feel like it should really be something that is either iconic or very thematic though, if Prancing Pony wins I'd be extremely dismayed... 

I'm sad that my personal favorite (Temple of the Decieved) just barely missed the mark, coming in at 17! What a heartbreaker!

Even so, this is a great set of quests. I'm sort of ambivalent about A Knife in the Dark and The Seventh Level (both of which are fine quests but wouldn't make my personal top 16) but in general I seem to have pretty similar tastes to the rest of the forum-going community.

Interesting that the only complete cycle that's not represented in the top 16 is Voice of Isengard + Ringmaker -- whose most popular quest was The Three Trials at #43, which means that it didn't have a single quest in the top 50%.

Steward's fear > Treachery of Rhudauer - Feat is the better quest in my book as it doesn't have an obvious game plan like rhudauer (turtling).

I'm curious what you mean by this comment.  In Rhudaur you get 5 turns to get ready and get a clue, then Thaudir is coming for you whether you like it or not.  If you didn't get a clue, then get ready for undefended attacks and +3 attack shadow cards.  I don't see how turtling is a good strategy for this quest.

First of I should say, that I usually Play solo or two Player and therefore vote/comment with this in mind. I/We found it to be the easiest way to fokus on one of the 3 quests and adjusting the decks to this choice (that is what I mean by turteling: Not even trying to do more than 1 quest and even if you don't make it, it shouldn't hurt to much).

As were max 2 Players mostly we usually choose the quest that gets Progress done when you kill enemies (we found you get the most Progress for your Troubles this way) and it is not to hard to handle about 1 enemy per round as long as the right deck has the highest threat. With one finished quest many shadow effects loose much power and as the decks are made to deal with enemies, so Thaurdir is not that bad.

Finishing a quest is easier the more Players you are, so when I Play solo I expect having to live without a clue, what isn't too bad as you can use the 5 turns to set up a burning brand and be fine, as long as you can handle about 2 attacks per round (Thaurdir + an enemy or sorcery).

In Steward's Fear Things can dramatically Change depending on what plot/enemy you get. On the one Hand this doesn't allow too specific deck Building and bringing an Allrounder might be better, on the other you aren't tempted to do the same again and again. That's why I go with fear. It surprises me way more often and forces to adapt the gameplan.

Even though I voted for wastes of eriador I am surprised it took out foundations of Stone :blink: For the next round:

Helm's Deep > Battle of the pellenor fields - the two quests that are the most similiar to each other and I think Helm's Deep is a little better. It is just the Little easier set-up, the somehow a bit better atmosphere (also I don't know why pellenor doesn't feel quite so awesome) and (in my case) being annoyed that you didn't get enough ship Locations during siege of gondor to have one less time Counter :D.

On a side note: Somehow Helm's Deep seems to be the more memorable battle for most media (book's, movies, (Video)games). If someone compares big desperate battles their go to one is helm's deep, even though pellenor IS THE battle of the age (of Course this is just my conception, curious how others see this)

Wastes of Eriador > Ruins of Belegost - Honestly don't understand why I vote for it^^ Every Belegost playthrough is different, exploring ancient ruins is cool, not to mention fighting a Dragon and defenitly more challenging. It's just if I had to choose one of the quests right know I would choose Wastes, so I can't justify voting against it.

Journey in the dark > Murder at the prancing Pony - Journey is one of the best quests ever made. Only downside is after some games you know how to leave the mines before it gets really ugly :D Murder annoys me more than i entertains after some rounds of "Investigation" (and getting the same clues again and again...)

Steward's Fear > Battle of the five armies - Steward is an all time favourite I never get bored of. I never really cared much about the Hobbit quests as most of them are "very Special" in an annoying way. That isn't really true for five armies as the mechanics fit and work very well and I feel I should give especially five armies another try, but for the time being Steward rules supreme.

Very surprised that Foundations lost to Wastes of Eriador.  Happy about that, because I like Wastes better, but I thought Foundations was pretty universally loved while Wastes had a lot of haters.

Helm's vs Pellenor: I vote Pellenor.  It's a good matchup.  I like the feel of Pellenor better, which advances in stages with distinctly different flavors and has some cool built-in events.

Wastes vs Belegost: I just didn't care for Belegost.  On the other hand, Wastes is the only wolf-theme quest in the game, how about that?  I dig the theme more.

Journey vs Murder: I chose Journey.  Murder is always a foregone solution (the answer is always Johnny Goblin-fingers at Bill Ferny's house).  Seriously though, Murder can kind of drag for me.  I like the sense of urgency in Journey.

Steward vs Battle: probably the hardest choice for me here, both probably in my top 5.  I chose Battle.  It's a very unique quest and I have some good memories of that one.  You can play it thematically with 4 players and stand a chance of winning (Dwarves x2, Silvan Elves, men+Beorn).

2 hours ago, GrandSpleen said:

Very surprised that Foundations lost to Wastes of Eriador.  Happy about that, because I like Wastes better, but I thought Foundations was pretty universally loved while Wastes had a lot of haters.

Helm's vs Pellenor: I vote Pellenor.  It's a good matchup.  I like the feel of Pellenor better, which advances in stages with distinctly different flavors and has some cool built-in events.

Wastes vs Belegost: I just didn't care for Belegost.  On the other hand, Wastes is the only wolf-theme quest in the game, how about that?  I dig the theme more.

Journey vs Murder: I chose Journey.  Murder is always a foregone solution (the answer is always Johnny Goblin-fingers at Bill Ferny's house).  Seriously though, Murder can kind of drag for me.  I like the sense of urgency in Journey.

Steward vs Battle: probably the hardest choice for me here, both probably in my top 5.  I chose Battle.  It's a very unique quest and I have some good memories of that one.  You can play it thematically with 4 players and stand a chance of winning (Dwarves x2, Silvan Elves, men+Beorn).

Looks like we made all the same choices for all the same reasons! Steward vs. Battle was indeed a tough one.

For Belegost, I don't mind the theme at all, but the main issue for me is that while I think they're both hard and fun, Wastes demands a powerful deck while Belegost demands a powerful and specific deck (healing, rushing). So I end up playing Wastes more if I want give my generic deck a challenge. 

On 24/01/2017 at 6:19 AM, Authraw said:

Interesting that the only complete cycle that's not represented in the top 16 is Voice of Isengard + Ringmaker -- whose most popular quest was The Three Trials at #43, which means that it didn't have a single quest in the top 50%.

If any cycle was going to not have a quest in the top 16, it doesn't exactly surprise me that it's Ringmaker. That said, I love Three Trials and I'm incredibly disappointed it didn't do better. I thought more people agreed with me on that one.

6 hours ago, Seastan said:

The Wastes of Eriador vs The Ruins of Belegost: I think the winner here is obvious. The difference between these quests is night and day. So make the smart choice now - there's no need to make your decision drag on.

Wordplay aside, one of the problems with Wastes is that it can drag on a bit - a problem I've never had with Belegost.

On the current round:

Helm's Deep < Battle of Pelennor Fields - Helm's Deep has some bits of odd design, particularly with regard to multiplayer scaling, and Pelennor is the more epic battle.

Wastes of Eriador < Ruins of Belegost - Partly covered this above. Also Wastes can be incredibly swingy and frustrating (especially at higher player counts) while Belegost I've always found fun even when I'm losing.

Journey in the Dark < Murder at the Prancing Pony - I love both, but Prancing Pony is more unique. I could really go either way here though.

Steward's Fear > Battle of Five Armies - While I can see its good points, I've never been so onboard with the general love of Five Armies. It's good, but I've never really viewed it as a standout, whereas Steward's Fear is an amazing quest and absolutely one of my favourites.

2 hours ago, Seastan said:

There's only a 2-vote difference in some of the matches, and only 12 more hours to vote in this round! You could be the deciding vote!

Well, then. Quest Matchup!  It's the Tim Curry matchup!

A Journey in the Dark:

1ii7uv.jpg

Murder at the Prancing Pony:

75114783.jpg

Well that was a perfect quarter-final in my opinion :D 

Helm's Deep > Wastes of Eriador - Wastes made it far (coming from seed 13), but I think this will be a clear match-up. As many stated above, wastes by far isn't flawless and Helm's Deep is close to a perfect quest.

Journey in the dark > Steward's Fear - I found this very tuff to decide. In the end I am going with Journey, but if you ask we an other day it might be Steward. What pushed me to Journey in the end is the tighter atmosphere.

Edited by Calvadur

There we go:

Helm's Deep > Journey in the dark - Biggest downsside in my opinion for Journey is, that you can cheat the Balrock, because that will be all you ever do, at least in campaign. Doesn't Change that it is an awesome quest and fully deserves the 2nd spot (how really doubts Helm's Deep will win?)

Wastes of Eriador > Stewawrd's Fear - I like both. I go for Wastes, because it has the "Underdog-Bonus" (coming from seed 13).

Journey in the Dark because the tempo and anticipation in that quest are amazing.

Steward's Fear because ... I don't know.  First time that I voted against Wastes of Eriador in the elimination tournament.  Steward is somehow more memorable, although I like both quests very much.

Thank you all who have been diligently voting over the last month! The 2016 Quest Championship is now over. Congratulations to our winner...

Supreme Champion: Helm's Deep
Worthy Adversary: Journey in the Dark
Maybe Next Time: The Steward's Fear
4th place: The Wastes of Eriador
5th place tie: The Ruins of Belegost
Murder at the Prancing Pony
The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
The Battle of Five Armies
9th place tie: Foundations of Stone
A Knife in the Dark
Journey Along the Anduin
Flight of the Stormcaller
The Seventh Level
The Treachery of Rhudaur
Conflict at the Carrock
Breaking of the Fellowship

Apparently people really like:

• Recreating epic battles (Helm's Deep, Pelennor, Five Armies, to some extent Journey in the Dark)
  • Quests with variable setup/resolution (Steward's Fear, Prancing Pony, Belegost)
  • Multiple staging areas (Foundations of Stone, Breaking, to some extent Stormcaller)
  • Balanced quests that don't require specific deckbuilding (Eriador, Anduin, Seventh Level, Rhudaur, Carrock, Knife in the Dark)

Cool contest. Really great quests made it to the elimination part (only have a personal grudge against flight of the stormcaller). A Little sad there wasn't a reason to doubt that helm's deep will win, even though in some rounds is was closer than I would have expected after the swiss round.

Will be interesting to see, if this Championship becomes a yearly Event like the hero one, if FFG manages to outo themselves and knock Helm's deep of the throne. I wouldn't expect much changes in the ranking as quests are more Independent than heroes, who are highly dependant on other Player Cards (imagine Boromir without fire/blood or gondorian shield).

Given that the community seems to favour saga quests, it may be hard to topple Helm's Deep. Maybe something from The Mountain of Fire could do it, or it could just lose because people don't like to see the same quest win multiple times.

If I do it again next year, I will probably just run a top 32 by taking the new X quests of this year and the top 32-X quests from the Swiss round.

1 minute ago, Greyhound78 said:

Thanks to Seastan for the organisation of this championship and one wish: can you make the same championship of unique allies? Thanks

Maybe in a few months. I am a bit burnt out on tournaments at the moment!

For posterity, here was the full ranking from the Swiss tournament.

Rank Participant Match W-L-T
(wins +1.0, ties +0.5)
Byes
(+1.0)
Score TB Buchholz Pts Diff
1 Helm's Deep 7 - 0 - 0 0 7 0 23 337
2 Journey in the Dark 6 - 1 - 0 0 6 1 23.5 102
3 The Steward's Fear 6 - 1 - 0 0 6 0 25 228
4 Foundations of Stone 6 - 1 - 0 0 6 0 21.5 232
5 The Ruins of Belegost 5 - 1 - 1 0 5.5 0 22.5 44
6 A Knife in the Dark 5 - 1 - 1 0 5.5 0 18 156
7 Murder at the Prancing Pony 5 - 2 - 0 0 5 2 25.5 138