Sign in to follow this  
David Spangler

Dreamlands Gate Question: 2 Gates on a site?

Hi.  In playing EH with the Dreamlands sideboard, if a Gate is spawned on a Dream Portal on the main board, it is placed on the corresponding site in Dreamlands,  But there are also Dreamland-specific gates.  So in our game, there were times when a specific Dreamland site had two gates--one from spawning the specific Dreamland gate disk and one from spawning the main world city gate that corresponded through a Dream portal to that Dreamland site.

Is this legal?  Can you have two Gates on a single site?  Or is one of the Gates just not placed (it doesn't spawn due to interdimensional interference!)?

Guest LeRoux13

I have no Idea cause I don't own the expansion.

I would think there would only be 1 gate though, the City gate does not get placed and instead you spawn the Dreamland version that corresponds to the gate.

Example:

The portal to land X is on Tokyo.

You draw Tokyo Gate.

Don't spawn the Tokyo Gate, spawn the Dreamlands gate on location X

Again, no idea if this is right, this was my interpretation from what someone at Arkham Nights explained

LeRouxt3, thanks.  this would make sense, but the rule book states:  "If a Gate would spawn on a space containing a Dream Portal, spawn that Gate [italics mine for emphasis] on the space that corresponds to that Dream Portal instead." 

Hence my confusion, since if I read this as written, it means the Tokyo gate, to use your example, ends up in Dreamlands on the site associated with the Dream Portal in Tokyo.

Your answer makes more sense, but it would be nice to have an official ruling if possible.

[i hate ambiguous rules! ]

Edited by David Spangler

It occurs to me as well that if your interpretation is correct, as it probably is, then it means that a Gate can never be spawned on a city that has a Dream Portal.  It would have made sense, if this is true, to simply state this in the rules:  "A City with a Dream Portal will never spawn a Gate."  That would have made everything much more clear!

OK, I think I’ve answered my own question.  I should have studied the Dreamlands board more closely.  There are Gate disks for the Dreamland Cities, but the Dream Portals all lead to Wilderness sites in the Dreamlands where ordinarily a gate would never appear.  So the gate that would spawn in a named city on the main board will spawn in a Dreamland wilderness instead if there is a Dream Portal in that city.  Makes sense.

Guest LeRoux13

Ah I see what you are saying, thanks for clearing this up as I would have definitely been scratching my head about this too :D

On 1/8/2017 at 5:43 PM, David Spangler said:

Is this legal?  Can you have two Gates on a single site?  Or is one of the Gates just not placed (it doesn't spawn due to interdimensional interference!)?

I assure you that if there would be some special rules regarding two gates on one space, FFG would post those in the Dreamlands rulebook.

The rules are sometimes unclear or complex. But, six expansions in, they were never missing.

How likely it is that both the design team and the playtesters have missed the fact that thanks to a Dream Portal, two gates can spawn on one space?

The rules don't mention this situation at all because nothing special happens.

Edit: After all, the game doesn't place two gates on one space yet. Maybe we'll see such effects in the future.
Edit 2: After all, my original post was correct. Sorry for the mess.

Edited by tsuma534

I assure you that if there would be some special rules regarding two gates on one space, FFG would post those in the Dreamlands rulebook.

The rules are sometimes unclear or complex. But, six expansions in, they were never missing.

How likely it is that both the design team and the playtesters have missed the fact that thanks to a Dream Portal, two gates can spawn on one space?

Maybe read the rest of the thread?

On 1/10/2017 at 11:03 AM, Meretrix said:

On 1/10/2017 at 10:51 AM, tsuma534 said:

On 1/8/2017 at 5:43 PM, David Spangler said:

Maybe read the rest of the thread?

Thank you, I missed the one crucial post.

Edited by tsuma534

For reasons I assume to be uncommon, I did have this problem in a game. I'm trying to work out if we did something wrong.

We had the Hypnos Mystery that allowed investigators to close Dream Portals, but caused them to respawn elsewhere based on the reveal of a Gate. Often this would cause the Dream Portal from City 'A' it to appear in City 'B' without the Gate from City 'A' at the other end having been closed first; when the recently revealed City 'B' Gate spawned shortly after, it would be due to appear on that Wilderness space in the Dreamlands where the City 'A' portal was already waiting.

I couldn't find anything that covered this circumstance, so wondered if we'd misread the rules somewhere (we resorted to having the Gate appear in City 'B' rather than at the other end of the Dream Portal, as if the Dreamlands board wasn't in play - or, thematically, as if the effect of a previous Gate opening in the Dreamlands location had caused this second Gate to open in its real world counterpart).

8 hours ago, psibreaker said:

For reasons I assume to be uncommon, I did have this problem in a game. I'm trying to work out if we did something wrong.

We had the Hypnos Mystery that allowed investigators to close Dream Portals, but caused them to respawn elsewhere based on the reveal of a Gate. Often this would cause the Dream Portal from City 'A' it to appear in City 'B' without the Gate from City 'A' at the other end having been closed first; when the recently revealed City 'B' Gate spawned shortly after, it would be due to appear on that Wilderness space in the Dreamlands where the City 'A' portal was already waiting.

I couldn't find anything that covered this circumstance, so wondered if we'd misread the rules somewhere (we resorted to having the Gate appear in City 'B' rather than at the other end of the Dream Portal, as if the Dreamlands board wasn't in play - or, thematically, as if the effect of a previous Gate opening in the Dreamlands location had caused this second Gate to open in its real world counterpart).

Everything is fine with two gates on one space, the same way nothing special happens with two Clues on one space. Both this situations are uncommon as both Clues and Gates correspond to a single specific space.
Few expansions ago we received effects that move Clue tokens elsewhere, allowing more than one Clue to end up on a single space.
With Dreamlands we can have more than one Gate on a single space.
It's uncommon but not special in any way. You just choose which token you would like to encounter and that's it.

Edited by tsuma534