Embir82

What happened to Squadron Benchmark

I reckon Squadron Benchmark wasn't upgraded for a long time - also there aren't any new ships from wave 10.

Does anybody knows if this project is still alive? That was great tool to testing lists before tournaments. It would be unfortunate if creator of this tool stopped to support it.

Thx in advance for all the info.

EDIT (Feb 6, 2017)

Update: Squadron Benchmark is no longer maintained.  Ynot forked it into a new app called "Ynot Squad Benchmark" that can be found at https://ynot6517.github.io/bench/

Edited by Embir82

Hah, I was actually going to make a thread about this in a day or two... Guess you beat me to it. ;) But yeah, nothing seems to have changed since Heroes dropped, since new Poe is the newest pilot on there and Pattern Analyzer hasnt been implemented fully yet. I don't know what has happened, but I agree it would be a shame if it was no longer supported since Im only able to play once a week and haven't gotten around to figuring Vassal out yet.

His last push to the git was in October 2016 and I have tried to get in touch with him through various channels with no luck.

I believe he is part of the X-Wing community in France so maybe someone there knows him IRL and can make sure he is ok.  I was planning on working on updating it but I just don't have the time required to do it.  The sources are available so it can be continued if anyone has the time.

No. This was by a guy who uses the name "Denis" in his nicknames from France I believe.  It was a great project.  I have forked a copy of it and my son and I are looking into continuing it.  Once we've fixed some of the issues in the current version, we'll be looking to add new ships and pilots.  I'll post when we have something for folks to try out.

Thanks for putting in the effort Ynot. I can't code or anything but if there is something you need help with let me know. 

Thanks.  Testing is going to be an important thing.

What I'd like to do is setup a test area where fixes get pushed to and certain folks can test it for us.  Then, if it works as expected, it can be merged into the stable tree.  One thing that bugged me about how this has been run in the past is that he pushed things into it that completely broke it more than a few times and made it completely unusable.  We are going to try to avoid that situation if at all possible.

i'm happy to test as well.

the last bug i noticed was Glitterstim being popped by the AI on turn one. (and palp not working properly but that's easily sorted)

Maybe a thread here, or on reddit where this has also been discussed, to put together a list of testers and bug reporters? 

For example I have noticed Counter measures behaves as above and upgrades that add slots will occasionally see the upgrade drop once the game starts.

A short list of what I know is wrong with it right now.  Most of these are AI related.

1 - arc170 - teleporting random ships to random spots

2 - sometimes shooting from large based ships hangs the whole thing

3 - shooting at asajj with latts crew hangs the whole thing as it doesn't allow asajj to add the evade and remove stress

4 - glitterstim and countermeasures used on round 1

5 - docked phantom on ghost deployed round 1

6 - anything put on that the title card allows disappears when starting to play. Starviper, Tie Advanced, etc.

There are others but I can't think of all of them right now.

We have regionals this weekend so nothing will be done before next week.  I'll be looking to simplify things in the app.  Fixing the AI is a priority as many bugs are related to it.  After that adding the current ships in the game will be on deck.  Probably going to remove the sound effects, etc as they scared the crap out of me the first time I ran it with my speakers on - lol.

In 2013, I made a C# application (X-Wing Maneuver Benchmark) that used very simple Windows Form vector graphics to move stuff around, but I ceased development within a year. It was taken up by a German and probably inspired what you now know as the X-Wing Squadron Benchmark with obvious web compatibility advantages. Still, my app is still useful to me to this day to practice quick openings and setup formations without having to go through the dozen clicks or so needed to do the same thing in Vassal.

I know the heavy scyk title has issues.

First of all its not updated to add the extra hull. But more importantly after selecting a secondary weapon and saving your squad the weapon goes away.

The first issue is because the app hasn't been updated since before ffg made that change.  The second is the same issue affecting all ships that have a title that adds something.

It will take us a bit to follow through the code as it isn't documented in any way.  Once we have that figured out it shouldn't be that difficult to correct the title issues.

Also you can use Sabine every time a bomb goes off.

Only once per round though.

Your upgrade bar gains the bomb upgrade icon. Once per round, before a friendly bomb token is removed, choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1 of that token. That ship suffers 1 damage.

Your upgrade bar gains the bomb upgrade icon. Once per round, before a friendly bomb token is removed, choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1 of that token. That ship suffers 1 damage.

Right but for example, If a ship hits all three cluster mines it will let you sabine three times. I am assuming that the app treats this all as one "detonation" and that is the only issue. 

Right but for example, If a ship hits all three cluster mines it will let you sabine three times. I am assuming that the app treats this all as one "detonation" and that is the only issue. 

That definitely isn't right.  There are quite a few interactions that don't work quite right.  Lots of work ahead - lol.