Sign in to follow this  
intothenight

Speculating on the Future of EotE

Why not? There was a jedi who was a sand people. Well, half. Possibly not at all. 

They'd at least have to have that Primitive species ability.

Wasn't he a human who was adopted into the tribe?

Sharad Hett was a Jedi who quit the order and made a home with the Tuskens. There, he married K'Sheek, a human woman who had been abducted by the Tuskens, and they fathered a son A'sharad Hett, who would later be taken as a Padawan by Ki-Adi Mundi, and even later go on to become the Sith Lord Darth Krayt.

Edited by Nytwyng

I would love to see them introduce a new Core Rulebook and supporting books with an Imperial focused theme.  Aimed at groups wanting to play as characters serving the Galactic Empire.

I would love to see them introduce a new Core Rulebook and supporting books with an Imperial focused theme.  Aimed at groups wanting to play as characters serving the Galactic Empire.

Just a "Region" book full of all the cool stuff the Empire doesn't want the rest of the galaxy to know. A chapter dedicated to fleshing out ideas for running an Imperial game would fit well, along with a bunch of extra gear and perhaps Human (Clone) as a species. its got to be on the cards after Strongholds.

Considering all the back and forth about a new and or revised edition, not to mention retooled space combat, I think it'd make sense if they took a page from WotC's (source)book. Haven't really kept up with D&D much in the past few years, but back when I still played, one of the most unexpectedly interesting books was Unearthed Arcana, which was chock full of variant rules. They didn't supercede the rules in the Player's Handbook, but they allowed for more options and showed solid examples of how to tweak the rules and still stay somewhat balanced.

Considering all the back and forth about a new and or revised edition, not to mention retooled space combat, I think it'd make sense if they took a page from WotC's (source)book. Haven't really kept up with D&D much in the past few years, but back when I still played, one of the most unexpectedly interesting books was Unearthed Arcana, which was chock full of variant rules. They didn't supercede the rules in the Player's Handbook, but they allowed for more options and showed solid examples of how to tweak the rules and still stay somewhat balanced.

In contrast, when I was playing D&D, we felt that Unearthed Arcana was the dreambook for power-mad munchkins. Lots and lots of power creep there.

IMO, alternate rules are fine, if they clarify without massively boosting power levels.

We’ve already seen some of that with what FFG has already published, but I don’t know how much they’d be able to do with regards to “fixing” the things that everyone seems to complain loudest about.

The adventure books have much lower sales than the career books.

And I imagine they'd be even lower if they didn't have new weapons, vehicles, attachments, etc. embedded in them. 

Point. I hear friends like these sold well, for that exact reason.

Personally, I'd like to see more books about places. The CSA, shadowports, the Unknown Regions, that kind of thing. It wouldn't break my heart to have a book as big as the core books that was JUST planets/regions/sectors. But I buy all the books from all three lines simply because a) I enjoy reading them, b) I want them, and c) I can. So another ~$60 book isn't a problem.

I'd also like pictures of vehicles and ships, possibly weapons, that are in the current books. I dislike having to Google them every time I get curious about one.

And even though I have pretty much accepted that this will never happen and I'll just have to make Excel sheets with the stats and any pictures I can find, I would LOVE searchable .pdfs for ships, races, weapons, items, planets, etc.

I hope in future books move to a format which is separate to the AoR/EotE/FaD split. Seeing generic Star Wars RPG books would be nice, considering everything's all cross compatible already.

I'd like them to revisit/revise Force mechanics. They need serious tweaks.

As for other books they could create, a forum Pirate suggested an idea a while ago that caught my attention, a book of Modular Encounters.

Hey! :P

I have already informed my EOE players I am done after I finish Mask of the PQ. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE creating my own adventures but the format for EOE isn't something I see myself doing a campaign around. Simply put, I just don't feel like writing up 3 pages of backstory and minutia for covering every possible conceivable reaction for Bob-7, the Asp droid used once every 15 years by Gardola the Hutt.  

If they don't do more adventures, someone else is running our game. End of story.

That being said, I did pledge to so some Modular encounters in the future but I will design one or two a year.

Part of the problem with FFG is the way they slice the game up- they almost cut it up too much to were they eventually back themselves into a corner creatively.

That said, I think the starship rules are some of the best ever put together for s SCIFI RPG so I wouldn't be interested in any changes to them.

I could see a Weapons and Equipment Compendium being a big hit- something that brought all the gear, gadgets, guns and gizmos together from all the sourcebooks so that when my players want to know what the special effects are of their weapons or whatever, they aren't rummaging through 15 different sourcebooks trying to find it.

I would also find a EOE "Monster Manual" rather useful as well. I've always found it a bit odd that there are dozens and dozens of sentient alien races in the SW canon yet so very very few creatures. I think a manual like that could be universally accepted across all the SW RPGs.

How about a "rival factions" guide- perhaps a book of NPC organizations or smugglers, scoundrels and gamblers that the PCs might run across during the course of their adventures.

How about a "Mysteries, Rumors and Legends" book- a book with information about interesting or unusual sights in the galaxy, mysterious places which no one talks about or legends that could be big payouts if the party investigates. Something like this could be a great seed for GMs.

And how about the "Canon sourcebook" - go ahead FFG and stat out Vader, Fett, Obi Wan and the rest. Different profiles could even be used to represent those characters at different points in the SW canon.  

How about a ................nah, that's enough for now! :)

I would also find a EOE "Monster Manual" rather useful as well. I've always found it a bit odd that there are dozens and dozens of sentient alien races in the SW canon yet so very very few creatures. I think a manual like that could be universally accepted across all the SW RPGs.

Already exists in the form of 6 adversary decks....

How about a "Mysteries, Rumors and Legends" book- a book with information about interesting or unusual sights in the galaxy, mysterious places which no one talks about or legends that could be big payouts if the party investigates. Something like this could be a great seed for GMs.

How about the 4 existing setting books?  All of them have adventure hooks and mysteries. 

And how about the "Canon sourcebook" - go ahead FFG and stat out Vader, Fett, Obi Wan and the rest. Different profiles could even be used to represent those characters at different points in the SW canon.

To paraphrase one of the founders of TSR (I think he was the player who played Mordenkain or one of the other Wizards who have spells named after him) "The biggest mistake that we ever made was giving stats in Deities and Demigods".

This was after the office had received a letter from a disheartened fan who had run out of things to do after (and in no particular order):

Killed all the Valkyries,

Sutur and the rest of the giants along with Thor and Odin and the rest of the Norse Pantheon,

Killed the World Serpent 9saving the multiverse from extinction)

Killed off the Celtic Pantheon

And was laying siege to Olympus at the time of the writing with the only Gods still alive were Zeus and Aphroditie.  Ares, Athena, Hercules and some others were already killed.

How about the 4 existing setting books?  All of them have adventure hooks and mysteries. 

To paraphrase one of the founders of TSR (I think he was the player who played Mordenkain or one of the other Wizards who have spells named after him) "The biggest mistake that we ever made was giving stats in Deities and Demigods".

This was after the office had received a letter from a disheartened fan who had run out of things to do after (and in no particular order):

Sutur and the rest of the giants along with Thor and Odin and the rest of the Norse Pantheon,

And was laying siege to Olympus at the time of the writing with the only Gods still alive were Zeus and Aphroditie.  Ares, Athena, Hercules and some others were already killed.

I guess I could grab the monsters from my kids pokemon decks too and call that a monster manual?

I have to believe if you have a Universe as expansive as the SW one is then I'd hope the publishers could whip up more than 6 decks of monsters or at least give some in depth ecologies on them.

The "rumors and legends" book would be to add to what already exists.

Agreed on the canon part but they are always a lot of fun for getting "Ohh's and "Ahhs" at the table :)

I guess I could grab the monsters from my kids pokemon decks too and call that a monster manual?

I have to believe if you have a Universe as expansive as the SW one is then I'd hope the publishers could whip up more than 6 decks of monsters or at least give some in depth ecologies on them.

I guess you could,  but honestly when the original materials cannot be bothered with writing ecologies for them why should FFG?  It is space opera,  the giant killy beast exists there because.

The trash compactor monster, Rancor, Veractly, Nexu, and the other 2 montsters in Ep2 were just there and attacked things.  

Sand people....well are people that live in the sand.  They have no other background then they were a primitive culture that raided the settlements on Tattooine

The more information that is written down is harder for a GM to work around.  Well I want a pack of wild Gundarks to be on Planet X, but they are only native to Planet Y and so on. 

I have already informed my EOE players I am done after I finish Mask of the PQ. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE creating my own adventures but the format for EOE isn't something I see myself doing a campaign around. Simply put, I just don't feel like writing up 3 pages of backstory and minutia for covering every possible conceivable reaction for Bob-7, the Asp droid used once every 15 years by Gardola the Hutt.  

I... don't see why you have to do this at all? There's really not a lot of differences between writing for EotE and writing for any other system, other than having to take advantages and threat into account, which is something that can easily be done on the fly with a little imagination and player input anyway.

The "rumors and legends" book would be to add to what already exists.

Agreed on the canon part but they are always a lot of fun for getting "Ohh's and "Ahhs" at the table :)

There are 17 creatures in Savage spirits. There are 17 in stay on target. And a few in other books. There are several creatures in Beyond the Rim. It is not exactly like they are ignoring making creatures. But if we are honest most of the problems are centered around sentients. 

The adventure books are aimed almost exclusively at GMs, while the career books are aimed more towards PCs and the group as a whole.

Therefore, the presumption is that if FFG switches to producing books that are exclusively aimed at just GMs, then they won’t have enough sales to support the franchise and they’ll lose it.

In the groups I’ve been in, I’ve been the primary guy that ends up buying all the books — partly because I can, and partly because I’m a completist. But a lot of people can’t afford that. A lot of groups have trouble getting together enough money to buy one copy of most of the books.

A lot of guys who might be willing and able to be the GM, can’t or won’t do so because they can’t afford to have copies of most of the books.

If FFG is going to be able to continue to sustain their business in this space, they have to continue to appeal to a sufficiently broad variety of potential book buyers. Producing books only for the GMs who can afford to buy them won’t be enough.

Our GM btw does not buy books at all. While the group as a whole basically as three collectors and 4 players who don't bother even with their own career books Still, GM books are silly and more importantly USELESS.  

What type of content needs to be in a GM book? And how many of those books could you ever hope to make before GMs stop buying those. 

Now character options, locations, themes for characters and the right opposition for those characters, etc … this comes not only with a big appeal to players of those specs, but it comes as well with all the necessaries for a GM to create content for those characters, but in essence those splatbooks will always stay player books and that is good and fine. I really wish they would edit their books in general, but that appeals as well to the core books already. 

And space combat is great in this system.

And I imagine they'd be even lower if they didn't have new weapons, vehicles, attachments, etc. embedded in them. 

The WEG adventures seem to be a good deal more interesting than anything FFG offers. And a lot better designed to support the GM. And FFG adventures are vouge even on key nps with their backstory. So I don't get the claim that more FFG adventures would save you from writing 3 pages of backstory for random droid when FFG is not writing more than a few paragraphs for the key npcs in a whole campaign. 

Furthermore the encounter ideas are actually quite good and you got those in literally every book, always fitting to theme and setting of the book, complete with adversaries, creatures and whatever else you need to run that setting. In that regard FFG seems to doing a rather well job even, because it makes building an adventure easy, theoretically you could run them straight out of the books even. Which is even more ironic when you consider how bad our experience with FFG adventures was so far. ^_^

Edited by SEApocalypse

There are 17 creatures in Savage spirits. There are 17 in stay on target. And a few in other books. There are several creatures in Beyond the Rim. It is not exactly like they are ignoring making creatures. But if we are honest most of the problems are centered around sentients. 

You make a good point, which has always puzzled me about SW. There are all these vast galaxies and what not yet it seems like so few natural predator problems like beasts.

I... don't see why you have to do this at all? There's really not a lot of differences between writing for EotE and writing for any other system, other than having to take advantages and threat into account, which is something that can easily be done on the fly with a little imagination and player input anyway.

:) :) I was partly venting when I posted that as I was reading "Mask" and my frustration was growing at that point :) you are correct though, it isn't something one has to do. In fact, as an adventure designer, you do have the added benefit of knowing what you want to have happen in the adventure and can already anticipate how all the NPCs would react.

I guess i'd like to see the following:

Hives of Scum and Villainy - an EotE book version of AoR Strongholds of the Resistance

Creature of the known systems - a book with all the playable races in one place, plus listings of all the critters, with pictures of each

A Starship & Vehicles Compendium with pictures for each ship

A gear book with the gear from all of the books in one collection, hopefully with at least pictures of most items

Sector Books, detailing main planets and points of interest (along the lines of Suns of Fortune)

A book with LOTS of NPC creatures and "animals" from around the Galaxy would be nice. But they are more likely to splash them in other books, as they have up to this point. And I guess that is what the NPC decks are for (and they are great....)

So I changed my mind. I want more NPC cards.

I would like books that adress all 3 lines, for example: The Clone Wars Book, -F&D -> Jedi at this time, how do they interact with people -AoR-> How to fight the republic or the seperatists at this time. -EotE -> Edge business during war, profiteurs, smugglers,

for every class one new spec

new races (genosian, Kaminoan, and... ehm... Harch)

gear (battledroids, walker tanks, the small star destroyers etc)

A similar book for the time between Episode 6&7

A similar book for the time of the old republic or during a Sith empire or...