Sign in to follow this  
Xinael

2016 retrospective Timeline for Descent + your thoughts on What Next !

Hello everyone,

I was bored and I made a little timeline to see the list of all the Descent products released in 2016 as well as the time between announcement and release. There is also a list of the reference numbers on the right.

http://imgur.com/a/rmy1w

Picture in spoiler.

MvpewHE.png

(I apologize for any grammar mistakes in the following wall of text)

-------------------------------------------------------

1) Some thoughts :

Globally, 2016 have been caracterized by a lot of varied announcements and releases : from February to December, there have been announcements for 1 box, 1 HM, 1 virtual App and a lot of new content for it.

In addition, the year started with the release of :

- Mists of Bilehall

- 3 Lieutenants,

and 2 other HM packs.

These latest products were all announced many months before, and the end of 2015 was caracterized by a content drought. Indeed, since the release of the 6th HM (Bonds of the Wilds) in August, there have been no new content released until January (but many official news in between).

In comparison, we start 2017 without any physical content announced ... but instead a new virtual campaign which should be available soon, Seeds of Corruption.

If we give a look a the end of 2016, since August, all the announcements were tied to the virtual App, and the delay between these and the actual release have been severely shortened.

Also, the 6 latest announcements, since May, all concerned the App, with the exception of Chains that Rust.

So by lookin at this timeline, we can clearly see a shift if focus toward the App (temporary or not).

It is totally possible that new physical content will be announced in february or in some months, but their delay is generally longer, so it would let us with 3 or 4 months of waiting at best ... months who could possibly be used to release more App content.

2) What I would like to see next :

I am personnally happy with all the content the game have ATM, and to see the Devs working on new App content. This is an audacious try to link physical and virtual board game, but the accessibility of it, the low cost and the large amount of "supports" (aka Android, iOS, Steam, Amazon) all lead to a solid product.

One thing to note though is that since the release of Chains that Rust, this is the first time that no physical content is publicly planned. And I think this is also the first time that no reference number is left in advance, apart from the eternal 06.

But there is still room for some more things :

- There is still 12 heroes from the Conversion Kit that have not been released in HM packs. It would be interesting to know if anything is planned for them. Some new HM with a new content guideline (more heroes with only 1 or 2 monsters for exemple), or maybe will they be released in some future expansion boxes ? There is also the possibility they stay in the Conversion Kit forever. :P

- For the classes : we have 7 Warriors, 7 Scouts, 6 Mages and 6 Healers, due to the fact that no small box ever complemented the Manor of Ravens.  FFG instead decided to break the mold with Mists and Chains. I would LOVE to see another box to equalize the number of classes, which is one of the most important aspect of the game, IMO. We could possibly see another big box, or two small boxes complementing eachother.

- Still for the classes, the hybrids were happily welcomed, and new hybrid combinations would be liked by a lot of people. Although, it is important to keep in mind that they certainly require the most testing and balancing compared to "full" classes.

- The Heirs of Blood campaign book was also a great success, at least on the forums (sales-wise, I do not know !). One or some more campaign books would be a good alternative way to provide content not related to the App,

- I personnally have enough miniatures, monsters and heroes. I can not even store everything anymore !  What I would like to see is more content focused on the variety of themes.

What I mean is more quests, classes and tiles :

• who could be used by the App as variations of existing maps,
  • Or by new virtual campaigns as well as the Delve
  • Or by new physical campaigns

I am sick of the same herbs and stones, I want cold mountains, arid deserts, luxurious and enchanted forests, glowing caves full of magic jewels and mushrooms and so on !

I can dream, but a box with a new campaign, many varied tiles and new hero classes (without miniatures, making a small and compact package full of replayability and variation for everyone), would actually be pretty cool and differ from the usual boxes, HM and LT packs. Allow it to also unlock Delve stages, App variations or a new App campagn such as Seeds requiring Nerekhall, and it would be a pretty nice release as this kind of product would concern everyone.

3) What would YOU like to see next ?

So, I created this post to gather your thoughts about all of this. 2016 have clearly been a busy year with a lot of cool and varied new content for us. Are you happy with what we got ? What would you like to see next ? Share you opinion !
;)

Edited by Xinael

Now that WFRP is gone, I would love to see them take the system from the Star Wars RPG series and bring it to Terrinoth (or even Dawnforge). Would anybody else like to to see this? I know I would buy it all up  :) Hey FF, I'd be happy to give you my translation notes and help out if you would consider it!  ;)

There are actually 26 heroes from previous Terrinoth games that have not been released specifically for Descent 2.0 yet. These are:

From Descent 1.0

1. Bogran the Shadow (base game)
  2. Mad Carthos (base game)
  3. Red Scorpion (base game)
  4. Varikas the Dead (base game)
  5. Landrec the Wise (base game)
  6. Brother Glyr (The Well of Darkness expansion)
  7. Aurim (The Altar of Despair expansion)
  8. Eliam (The Altar of Despair expansion)
  9. Kirga (The Altar of Despair expansion)
  10. Tobin Farslayer (promo)
  11. Laughin Buldar (The Tomb of Ice expansion)

From Runebound 2.0

1. Ciridin (Midnight expansion)
  2. Elaria (Midnight expansion)
  3. Gyruk Kinslayer (Midnight expansion)
  4. Harthan Axecaster (Midnight expansion)
  5. Jaena of Sharuun (Midnight expansion)
  6. Kael, Son of Gurin (Midnight expansion)
  7. Mirala Goodtide (Midnight expansion)
  8. Telvan and Orcbane (Midnight expansion)
  9. Annen the Trailblazer (Mists of Zanaga expansion)
  10. Kala the Hunter (Mists of Zanaga expansion)
  11. Maliki the Claw (Mists of Zanaga expansion)
  12. Runemaker Tara (Mists of Zanaga expansion)
  13. Saka and Kuto (Mists of Zanaga expansion)
  14. Spiritspeaker Elga (Mists of Zanaga expansion)

From DungeonQuest

1. Hugo the Glorious

12 of these have been released in the Conversion Kit, but not as proper Descent 2.0 versions. None of the Runebound figures was contained in the Conversion Kit. Although many of the figures in Runebound 2.0 are now made for Descent 2.0, all of these were originally from Descent 1.0, so there are probably no plans for releasing the rest of the Runebound figures for Descent 2.0.

Edited by tombrun

My play group started playing Descent (and now also IA) because we needed a change from LANs and computer games.

Now FFG seems to focus totally on the app (which doesn't interest me at all). Yay.

Seriously; I'm hoping for more expansions (a big one) and a revised rule-book. I would love it if they made an expac that utilized the mechanics of all the other x-pacs. For example: The OL influence tokens from SoN adds surprise elements to the game play, which Descent is seriously lacking compared to IA.

The best what FFG can do is bringing two big expansions with the rest of classes and heroes! Most suitable with a Snow and a Sea Themes like Tomb of Ice and Sea of Blood! :-) That would be amazing! And then go with all Tiles in the App!

1. A new campaign book, if possible with material from at least one large expansion

2. The two missing classes

3. Heroic feats (like in the Tomb of Ice expansion of Descent 1.0)! The nostalgia of that is the reason I made the Spellcaster. :wub:

Since everything else I would wish for was already mentioned here is my no. 1 wish for the next expansion:

- New search cards. Pretty please!

Just anything to change up this glaring monotony of a boring card stack. It worked for IA, so it should also work for Descent. Make searching interesting again :)

Edited by DerDelphi

Count me in the 'new exciting tiles camp'! We have seen plenty of generic 'outside/dungeon' tiles. Trollfens, Manor of Ravens and Nerekhall are notable exceptions, and also the tiles people seem to like the most. I haven't yet played with the crumbling terrain of Mists/Chains but I could see that idea being further explored.

I would really like forest setting, snow or enchanted! I imagine that such a map would have a lot of obstacles, maybe FFG would find a way to take the pit/elevation spaces to a new level. I always found that they haven't been used to their full potential somehow.

I wouldn't dislike new settings, however I would be even more interested in [official] crossover expansions mixing settings and monsters. I feel like I need to play a certain campaign in order to see some monster types that I would never see in other campaigns otherwise.

Apart from that I think new hero classes >> new heroes, even if I too would like to see the missing ones being released at some point.

New OL classes as well are necessary. CtR helped in that regards, but it's not enough in my mind.

Not sure about a new search deck. What would you have in it instead of its current contents? Right now I feel this deck is pretty much on top of its optimization curve. It provides access to secret room, items deck and generic utility items. If you mean that you would see other types of utility items then I wonder which ones these would be, because right now we´re covering pretty much all areas of the game without going out of line. Also notice they need to remain universal. Then if we had other types of items, how would you then build the deck? The number of cards in it should remain fixed, which means you would add a new "phase" to the game as for randomly picking cards to throw into the search deck. Not sure that "phase" is necessary, I think it burdens the game more than it helps enriching it. So yeah, not convinced.

New search deck definitely, new items and tiles all great ideas, agree with them all.

I really enjoy the 2.5d style of dungeon crawlers that use terrain so maybe some FFG released and terrinoth themed terrain to add the extra dimension to the game.

New search deck definitely, new items and tiles all great ideas, agree with them all.

I really enjoy the 2.5d style of dungeon crawlers that use terrain so maybe some FFG released and terrinoth themed terrain to add the extra dimension to the game.

I came across these earlier today, thinking about getting them for flavor.

4443.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

By far, the biggest thing I'd like to see is a skirmish game mode similar to Imperial Assault. I doubt it will ever happen, because the factions in the Terrinoth setting aren't as thematically delineated as in Star Wars, so army building would be a little tricky. But considering the amount of stuff I have for Descent, I would love to put it to use as a 1v1 skirmish miniatures game. 

Another mode of play that I've been thinking for a while is a way to play solitaire as the Overlord, in a kind of Dungeon Keeper style. Playing as heroes is great fun, and it's cool that I can play solo. But I'd love to have a scenario with high replayability in which I'm managing a dungeon and it's creatures while heroes are trying to come in and break up the place and steal all my precious treasure. Some type of AI to play the heroes would be great.

I like that dungeon keeper idea @warfinger ! Brilliant.

@kaaihn I've actually got the dungeon saga door set and do use them! I'm a sucker for terrain and would recommend to everyone to use such pieces to enhance the game. But as a sucker for terrain I would like to see game specific stuff aswell you can guess the type of thing I mean, search token replace menus etc and maybe pieces to place on the board for blocked terrain items etc. It's a very niche set of nits and I'm sure a lot of ppl, myself included, will continue to use proxy pieces but it's something that FFG could put out there that I'm sure would find a buyer.

Aswell as terrain FFG could also put of a series of replacements for villagers/guards/townsfolk, they could be bundled in a box with extra cards, and quests perhaps new mechanics that let you 'hire' mercenaries to use alongside your group the same way as reanimates etc and use them on new harder quests. They could have a cost/reward mechanic where by depending how much you pay them Depends how willing they are to continue on an adventure or do your bidding! Maybe even a new search card that when revealed causes a henchman to betray you and try to escape with the found gold/item? Thoughts?

Another mode of play that I've been thinking for a while is a way to play solitaire as the Overlord, in a kind of Dungeon Keeper style. Playing as heroes is great fun, and it's cool that I can play solo. But I'd love to have a scenario with high replayability in which I'm managing a dungeon and it's creatures while heroes are trying to come in and break up the place and steal all my precious treasure. Some type of AI to play the heroes would be great.

Interesting, indeed. We always tought about the overlord, never the heroes. Can be relaly trick, tough. One thing is to cast an IA to the overlord, another is to cast an IA for four heroes, unless it' a lone hero game like those old books "fantastic adventures".