Sign in to follow this  
voltagejim

should X-wing have just stuck to fighters?

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Epic play for X-Wing. Also, I personally don't like how the company packages small ship upgrades with them; to entice folks to buy into it in order to get it.

Easy enough to trade for cards. I have no intention of getting a third TIE Advanced so traded off the third set of upgrades I'd never use from the Raider, which I actually use more than the Advanced models. I've also picked up the epic cruiser upgrades from the Gozanti which I haven't bought since the design didn't really catch me right away.

As a non scum person the autothrusters in the Star Viper bother me more, but eh... You know what you get and I don't need the cards unless I'm playing tournament... And then I borrow what I need if required.

Each person has their own opinion.  I personally wouldn't buy into any Epic ships if they didn't have card upgrades.  Also, its hard to get some upgrades since they are only packaged into $59.95+ Epic ships.  E-Bay is an option.  However, the prices are pretty inflated for a few upgrade cards because of the availability of them being in Epic ships only. 

+1 to the 'No' camp.

But EU should be small ship only.

Thematically large ships should be the only ones who can take EU, I mean How does corran slap bigger engines on the already small and streamlined E-wing? Same with any of the TIE variants that don't have a native boost.

Restricting EU hurts the Lambada and Firespray allot, and doesn't reall affect the Falcon, it only alienates Dash, to which you don't see a terrible lot of at the moment because he really doesn't like X-7 defenders.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Epic play for X-Wing. Also, I personally don't like how the company packages small ship upgrades with them; to entice folks to buy into it in order to get it.

Easy enough to trade for cards. I have no intention of getting a third TIE Advanced so traded off the third set of upgrades I'd never use from the Raider, which I actually use more than the Advanced models. I've also picked up the epic cruiser upgrades from the Gozanti which I haven't bought since the design didn't really catch me right away.

As a non scum person the autothrusters in the Star Viper bother me more, but eh... You know what you get and I don't need the cards unless I'm playing tournament... And then I borrow what I need if required.

Each person has their own opinion.  I personally wouldn't buy into any Epic ships if they didn't have card upgrades.  Also, its hard to get some upgrades since they are only packaged into $59.95+ Epic ships.  E-Bay is an option.  However, the prices are pretty inflated for a few upgrade cards because of the availability of them being in Epic ships only.

Trades are better than eBay. If you are a tourney player, and I'm assuming you are if you absolutely must have the cards (you could just be completionist), those alternate art cards net you pretty good returns on the trade thread here on FFG. I was just pointing this out to be helpful, not to start arguments about anybody being right or wrong.

But yeah, everybody has an opinion. Some make a lot more sense than others. I can totally understand your position on how FFG packages cards. I cannot agree that the epic cruisers have no place in the game.

+1 to the 'No' camp.

But EU should be small ship only.

Thematically large ships should be the only ones who can take EU, I mean How does corran slap bigger engines on the already small and streamlined E-wing? Same with any of the TIE variants that don't have a native boost.

Restricting EU hurts the Lambada and Firespray allot, and doesn't reall affect the Falcon, it only alienates Dash, to which you don't see a terrible lot of at the moment because he really doesn't like X-7 defenders.

Not to say I think EU should be small ship only, but an upgraded engine doesn't mean a physically larger engine.

Well it is too late to cry over spilled milk. While hindsight is 20 20 there are some things that could have been done like the shuttle gets an auxiliary firing arc and a title much like the TIE-S/F and the YT-1300 shouldn't have had such a flexible dial. (something closer to the HWK with a K-turn would have been fine). The title should have made it firepower 3 not the pilot and such. No the YT-1300 should not have started with a mobile firing arc. It had 2 separate quad laser cannon turrets. (Maybe started with a mobile firing arc and title gave it a PWT and 3 firepower but I digress.

Still the game is fine. The only thing X-wing doesn't have is compatibility with other games, ever since they added that 3rd faction the only game it could match with is Imperial Assault Skirmish. Rebellion and Armada seemed to be sticking to 2 faction only which builds a wall of separation from X-wing.

FFG games with Rebels Imperial and Scum

• Imperial Assault Skirmish
  • X-wing miniatures
  • Star Wars RPG

FFG Games with Rebels and Imperials only

• Star Wars LCG (Scum is a subfaction of Darkside)
  • Star Wars Rebellion
  • Rebels vs Empire (Star Wars themed CIA vs KGB)
  • Star Wars Armada minatures

Epic is a great format without which the game would be poorer. It is nieche and its scummy how FFG packages some upgrades with the huge ships, but without them the format wouldn't be anywhere near as good. They also are great designs, managing energy is one of the most fun things you can do in this game and the slow lumbering movement creates a sharp contrast with the fighters.

My epic ships have never been used in a game because, as was mentioned, it takes a hell of a time to set up and play a 300+ point epic game. I'll get around to it eventually, and have some more-than-willing folks thinking the same. That said, several of those epic ships are sitting on my shelf simply looking great above my board game collection, flanked by some master grade Gundam kits. When I picked up the Gozanti, I was already aware I was unlikely to ever use it, but **** if it doesn't look nice on the shelf anyway (and the amount of use I've gotten from Wampa alone kind of makes up for it...).

Wait what? No Falcon? Getouttahere!

Absolutely. Screw the Falcon. Thats right I said it.

I'm fine with the Falcon, Slave I, etc. Generic yt-1300s and firesprays? No, bugger off.

I love the large ships, I am not fond of the price range of these little plastic models. I think 20 - 30 dollars is high, especially when you think of the size of the K-wing or U-Wing. Its not like the plastic is extremely strong and holds up against being dropped. Its brittle, lightweight model plastic, which should be cheaper to obtain.

I love the large ships, I am not fond of the price range of these little plastic models. I think 20 - 30 dollars is high, especially when you think of the size of the K-wing or U-Wing. Its not like the plastic is extremely strong and holds up against being dropped. Its brittle, lightweight model plastic, which should be cheaper to obtain.

A lot more goes into running a business and bringing a product to market than its raw materials.

The price per model may not be cheap, but when you compare a models value in comparison to other tabletop wargames it's not bad.

You get a model, useable out of the box, with suplimental rules and upgrades for it.. and that's your full expenditure. For £100 you can get the starter box and a couple of ships to get a reasonable 100points force for cassual play.

On the other hand many other wargames you are looking at a couple of hundred (at least) before you can play. And to FFGs credit the robustness of the rules and the minimal power creep is far superior to even comparitivly priced wargames (like attack wing), so they evidently do a lot more playtesting for each product.

I would say the pricing was fairly reasonable, though I'll admit I wish the huge ships were cheaper if only to encourage more epic play. :P

My epic ships have never been used in a game because, as was mentioned, it takes a hell of a time to set up and play a 300+ point epic game.

It takes 2-3 hours.  It is an evening worth of fun.

All you guys who don't have enough time to play epic must never have enough time to see a movie all the way through.

My epic ships have never been used in a game because, as was mentioned, it takes a hell of a time to set up and play a 300+ point epic game.

It takes 2-3 hours.  It is an evening worth of fun.

All you guys who don't have enough time to play epic must never have enough time to see a movie all the way through.

197563677.gif

^@ Joe:

My eyes, my eyes! Too much glory!

I think packaging stuff like C-3po, Palps and the TIE Ad fix in 100 buck boxes was unnecessary on many levels. But X-wing without Large ships? That's no fun.

I haven't delved into HOTAC too much, is there a 'tramp light freighter' option to start with a YT-1300 ORS-like basic ship (or equivelent with 2400 or VCX or scummy large transports)? That would be a pretty cool option, maybe a Scum of the Autari Cluster Criminal Underworld campaign?

Shucks immah even buy'n the Large Ships FFG ain't even made (yet...) !!!

IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER%2B2.png  IMP%2BCARGO%2BSHUTTLE%2BSW.PNG  IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER%2B2.png

STAR WARS MF STAR WARS!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

HOW... DARE... YOU... NOT... LOVE-IT!!!

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

That ships looks dumb, and of course it's gonna come with upgrades that are incredibly powerful in dogfight that you'll want to have to stay competitive. They should have just let epic die and did this with an aces pack.