Sign in to follow this  
voltagejim

should X-wing have just stuck to fighters?

SOmething I was thinking about recently, with looking at X-wing and Armada, I was thinking maybe X-wing should've just kept it at fighters and smaller ships like the falcon, slave 1, etc.  In my opinion, things like the tantive 4, imperial raider, decimator, rebel transport, etc should be in armada since that is supposed to deal with the bigger ships.  I feel like some of the sould of x-wing is lost when you start having those giant ships.  To me X-wing is about the smaller fighters

In my opinion, things like the tantive 4, imperial raider, decimator, rebel transport, etc should be in armada since that is supposed to deal with the bigger ships. 

good news

they are in armada!

(also you don't really see the tantive, raider or transport because they're epic only. **** requires a LOT of set-up and time to play out)

Epic X-wing is a completely optional variant that doesn't require anybody to play and therefore use huge ships, so to answer the question. No, X-wing shouldn't have just stuck to fighters because some people love epic X-wing and are actually looking forward to more huge ships hopefully coming down the line and there is little if any drawback to those uninterested as they can just opt to pass. 

Edited by benskywalker

No.

Fighters, esp hunter types, never were fielded in a vacuum. There were always objectives to reach or protect in the background,in wars. Often actually trade-related.

Thus if people are willing to look beyond unrealistic 100/6 deathmatches transports and small warships are totally natural.

What X-wing should however have left alone are all these stupid pancakes, which are faster and more maneuvreable than even top of the line interceptors.

I agree that all large bases being absent would have been nice. PWT would never have existed, massive hp ships would be extremely rare, and things like engine upgrade would not be a problem at all. As for the osterich strategy of don't like them don't play them, I prefer not to play against them either.

Forgot the obvious one, Palp wouldn't be a thing nothing could hold him except a bomber shuttle lol

Edited by LordFajubi

I agree that all large bases being absent would have been nice. PWT would never have existed, massive hp ships would be extremely rare, and things like engine upgrade would not be a problem at all. As for the osterich strategy of don't like them don't play them, I prefer not to play against them either.

eh...

see the PWT isn't a product of large bases as much as just ass lazy game design from wave 2, back when we had no idea how the game would explode

fixed with the caster, though sadly they didn't take the opportunity in Hotr to fix the falcon

the large base issue itself is due to the movement mechanics which have actually been perfectly ironed out in Armada. Because the ship moves along the  movement template front to front, rather than front to back, large ships do not actually move faster than smaller ships unless the ship is explicitly faster (like the ISD is far more maneuverable than the smaller VSD, because the VSD is a clunker)

and massive health really isn't too huge. if you think about it, the cost of a naked falcon still doesn't produce as many hull + shields as equal points of small base ships .

only real problem was stacked defensive tech with EU back when the game didn't have any answers from small ships, as they just didn't have the modifiers to compete

Nah, lack of large base ships would be a huge blow to versatility and utility, and have made the game very weird, very fast. You'd see much slower trickle of stuff like crew or systems slots, FFG would have had to pull more obscure fighter designs sooner to keep up the release - it just wouldn't be pretty. 

Also, X-Wing Epic play is still a lot different from Armada. It's definitely its own game; just because FFG has Armada doesn't mean they shouldn't allow any other games to have capital ships. That's sorta like going "Whelp, we have the Star Wars LCG, I guess that's it for Star Wars stuff."

It's been said, no. But to echo a different bit of the answers, I would play only epic if I could find the time or the people. Right now I get an epic game in maybe one out of every 10 games played. I, like many around here im sure, came to x wing from 40k so I'm used to big games that take time, models and money to play. 300pt epic games for me are the way it should be and I can't wait for more epic ships

Forgot the obvious one, Palp wouldn't be a thing nothing could hold him except a bomber shuttle lol

Wait what? No Falcon? Getouttahere!

Absolutely. Screw the Falcon. Thats right I said it.

I "un-liked" your post

Now, I'm no expert in how things are at higher competitive levels, but to me it seems that larger ships provide variations in gameplay that would not have happened otherwise. Also, for me personally, I like the larger ships like the ships from Armada, but the prices are a bit of a turn off. I can use ships like the Decimator and the Falcon in X-Wing for a fraction of the price of investing in Armada, which sounds like a good deal to me.

anigif_enhanced-18460-1445308980-10.gifanigif_enhanced-18460-1445308980-10.gifanigif_enhanced-18460-1445308980-10.gifanigif_enhanced-18460-1445308980-10.gifanigif_enhanced-18460-1445308980-10.gifanigif_enhanced-18460-1445308980-10.gif

I now own over 150 X-wing ships, 7 of which are epic size, and almost 40 Armada ships plus numerous squadrons all because I was rooting around Amazon for a millenium falcon "model" only to discover FFG's X-wing version and bought it because it looked cool. After realizing it was a game; I looked into it further and got a core set and now here I am. I'm sure there are other people with similar stories. Regardless of how anybody feels about PWT not having a ship as iconic as the Falcon in this game would have been a supremely dumb business decision, so probably a good thing it wasn't your call. 

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Epic play for X-Wing. Also, I personally don't like how the company packages small ship upgrades with them; to entice folks to buy into it in order to get it.

Easy enough to trade for cards. I have no intention of getting a third TIE Advanced so traded off the third set of upgrades I'd never use from the Raider, which I actually use more than the Advanced models. I've also picked up the epic cruiser upgrades from the Gozanti which I haven't bought since the design didn't really catch me right away.

As a non scum person the autothrusters in the Star Viper bother me more, but eh... You know what you get and I don't need the cards unless I'm playing tournament... And then I borrow what I need if required.

No, FFG did right adding the epic cruisers. Flying the star fighters in a chasing dogfight between cruisers that might mash them on the windshield like a bug feels a lot like the battle of Endor to me. What's more Xwing than that? Also... I've got run over by a Mon Cal cruiser in the old arcade game as it made the jump to hyperspace. It's something I won't forget. Definitely we need these small cruisers in Xwing.

Edited by LagJanson

^@ Joe:

My eyes, my eyes! Too much glory!

I think packaging stuff like C-3po, Palps and the TIE Ad fix in 100 buck boxes was unnecessary on many levels. But X-wing without Large ships? That's no fun.

I haven't delved into HOTAC too much, is there a 'tramp light freighter' option to start with a YT-1300 ORS-like basic ship (or equivelent with 2400 or VCX or scummy large transports)? That would be a pretty cool option, maybe a Scum of the Autari Cluster Criminal Underworld campaign?