Sign in to follow this  
Zakain

Roll20

Yeah, you need a subscription at pro level (10 dollars per month) to be able to use the API, which is needed for dice rolls. That's only something the GM has to deal with though, so if you're looking to join a game it's not a concern. The API script for dice rolls does work really nicely though, and it's integrated with the built in character sheets.

I've had heaps of success running EotE in Roll20, so if you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I use Roll20 for all my gaming, namely d20 games, especially after I moved to the middle of nowhere. You can play FFG SWRPG on it with little problem. Google Hangouts has a plug-in for sw dice if you do not want to pay the subscription (if you are hosting the game). I am currently putting together a beginner's campaign on roll20 and we plan on using google hangouts or another method since I am not subscribed.

Roll20 is fantastic. It is a strong program and has some interesting flexibility. If your have problems with the webrtc voice chat, use discord or google hangouts along with the plug-in.

PM me if you have specific questions, either on Roll20 (better way to contact me) or here. Same username. However, it is pretty easy to learn.

Edited by Commissariat

My understanding is that the apps to do dice-rolling in Google Hangouts don’t work with the new version of Hangouts, and because Google is making lots of changes underneath there is no way that they could be ported to do so.

Google also has a history of abandoning projects that they spent a lot of money on, and it seems to me like Hangouts could very easily be on that list.

So, those dice-rolling apps are on their last legs, unless someone can wave a magic wand or something.

My understanding is that the apps to do dice-rolling in Google Hangouts don’t work with the new version of Hangouts, and because Google is making lots of changes underneath there is no way that they could be ported to do so.

Google also has a history of abandoning projects that they spent a lot of money on, and it seems to me like Hangouts could very easily be on that list.

So, those dice-rolling apps are on their last legs, unless someone can wave a magic wand or something.

Google keeps claiming they are making hangouts better. but by every measure I would use they are making it worse. IE The new hang outs has no ability for add ons. Less functionality. Like no chat features.. etc

Edited by Daeglan

Yeah, you need a subscription at pro level (10 dollars per month) to be able to use the API, which is needed for dice rolls. That's only something the GM has to deal with though, so if you're looking to join a game it's not a concern. The API script for dice rolls does work really nicely though, and it's integrated with the built in character sheets.

I've had heaps of success running EotE in Roll20, so if you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask.

There is a way to do custom dice in Roll20 - by using rollable tables. By doing that, you can create the dice needed "from scratch" and use 'em in macros. This approach requires more work, and doesn't auto-calculate results (ie, you'll have to actually count the symbols, much like playing tabletop) but doesn't require use of the API.

It hadn't even occurred to me until a one-shot GM used it.

So I bought a pro sub, got most of the beginner box set up and running on it.  But I've finally come to my first issue,  around the table we normally do theater of mind, but using maps I know a few of the people I have interested are going to want to use a grid of some kind. How do I transition them out of using a map with a set movement grid?

So I bought a pro sub, got most of the beginner box set up and running on it.  But I've finally come to my first issue,  around the table we normally do theater of mind, but using maps I know a few of the people I have interested are going to want to use a grid of some kind. How do I transition them out of using a map with a set movement grid?

dont use snap to grid and dont use maps with grids

NOOOOOOO.......

We played today for like 6 hours and the first 20 minutes was spent lamenting how we might have to go back to GoToMeeting. :(

Dang, been using this successfully for a year now for my star wars gaming.   I know there are other solutions but they don't all work quite the same.  

Since I've had little luck finding a group in my area I've been thinking of giving roll20 a shot.  How is it for this game?

Legends of the Galaxy is trying to get a GM for an online roll20 game. If you are interested in joining the organized play visit www.Legendsofthegalaxy.com

With the news that Hangouts is dropping the Apps, I built a new one that doesn't need hangouts:
https://dice.owenmead.com/

You can use Hangouts/Skype/... to do the voice or video, and another window or your phone to do the communal dice rolling. Our group uses Hangouts for our chat and video and it works quite well.

More info: