Sign in to follow this  
Leowulf

Who else is probably starting with two Core Sets?

Im thinking of getting two core sets and splitting with my friend. I feel there's a lot of value in the core sets and the additional listbuilding options will be exciting.

The only thing to double up on that you cant really make use of without mirror matches is having 2 of the same hero, but even then a spare heroic base and a model to go nuts with converting is pretty nice.

I guess it also depends on what else is releasing immediately. If the extra units and command packs are releasing with Wave 0 it may be 'one of everything' instead of two cores. Will be waiting on those announcement articles...

I'm going to hold off buying multiple cores until I know exactly what is in the core and exactly what is in the initial wave of expansions/figure packs.  

Honestly though, I'm still on the fence about this game as a whole till we have the full rule set out and I've been able to hear some initial battle reports and such.  I think it looks fun, but I'm already playing IA, Armada, Xwing, LOTR lcg, and AGOT LCG 2nd ed. and keeping up with xpacs on all of them in addition to many other FFG and non-FFG games.  The only reason I'm even considering this game is because of it's fantasy vibes... and I'm a sucker who's apparently addicted to expensive plastic and cardstock...

I've already planned on two. Probably be a few months til we see anything other than the core and dice pack that are currently at the printer. I'm already surprised we'll be seeing RW by late February - March. I was betting on April at the earliest. I would be gobsmacked at additional releases alongside the core. Star Wars this aint. 

I thought a dev/game presenter somewhere said that they're planning to distribute upgrade cards in a different manner than their other minis games. i.e. Each faction release should have all of the upgrades it can use, or something like that. Either way I'll collect at least two factions so that will likely cover most bases.

Depends on if there is expansion packs with the same units and different upgrades.

This. If expansions pack different upgrades, like both X-Wing and Armada do, then I'll want a single core, so I can pick up the other packs without completely going overboard.

And IA... except for Vader and Luke that come with the core box.

I bet the business model will be the same.

Edited by Kentares

Iam also on the side of people, which want to wait for the final contents of the core set and possible expanions for wave 0.

I think FFG will do the same with those upgrade cards as within their other games, but hopefully they won't ^^!

If wave 0 only consists of the core set and dice i will maybe get two of them, so that i can play bigger games just from the start, or share armies with a friend.

Iam also on the side of people, which want to wait for the final contents of the core set and possible expanions for wave 0.

I think FFG will do the same with those upgrade cards as within their other games, but hopefully they won't ^^!

If wave 0 only consists of the core set and dice i will maybe get two of them, so that i can play bigger games just from the start, or share armies with a friend.

They've already said upgrades won't be packaged the same way.

I am buying two core sets, and depending on how many plates come with a blister additional units, my tentative plan is for 3 golems and Lancers, 6 knights and archers, 12 of each spearman. So one of the two bigger units, hopefully just one of each archer and knight, and two of each spearman. No idea if it will be 1 tray per blister or 2 for the infantry. Hoping on 2 per infantry and the knights, with the big golem and lancer being solos. I think 2 of the reanimates and spearman is likely due to composition, same with knights and archers. But we won't know for a little while yet.

I'm on the fence whether or not I want to buy two core sets. It will all depend on what the future previews bring and my local gaming group. For example, I'm willing to just collect a single faction if someone wanted to spilt two core sets.

I'm interested to see how they change up the distribution of upgrades and cards.

Yeah I wonder if that means more unique or faction only upgrades and multiples of the generics, or if we can simply buy them separately.

I'm going to hold out on getting the second core to see if I like one Faction more and to see if they release the included model expansions as quickly as they did the Armada ones. The hero character is what is really my main holdup to buying two cores, and the only thing that really makes these different than the Armada core...

I'm reviving this thread because now I can't decide on what to do...I don't know if I want to buy two, or get one then buy someones models for the faction they don't want, or trade one core faction with someone for the full 200 pt army of one faction.  It's pretty clear to me the best option when building up the units that are part of the core is to get one of the boosters for the new upgrades then use cores to get more models as long as someone in an opposing faction wants to do the same. 

That was my original issue but the price point of the expansions so far has shown that it will most likely still be a better deal...4 cav for $25 8 Archers $25 we can probably speculate that 16 infantry of either faction won't be LESS than $25 so we have already hit our breakeven without even addressing the carrion rider or rune golem.  The duplicate heroes I'll probably just give to the guy that does painting tutorials at my LGS for people to use when they are learning.

Edited by jek

And I.... .... .....

-_-

:huh: ... ... What ? Are you waiting for something ? 

-_-Zzzzzzz zzzzz.... :blink: Oh wait, I have to answer... the nap can wait a little longer : GET UP, ELRAD, Just get the f...up....!!!!:angry:

Ok never mind, I'm on my own little trip to hit the wall of madness.... So yes, I'm not completely decided whether or not to blindly buy 2 core sets. The thing is that I won't share it with anybody in particular, I'm used to play left-handed and like to have multiple armies at hand to learn the rules, trying to master the basics of a game and so on. After this big purchase, I will wait. If ther's one faction that I like the most among those two, then I'll buy expansion packs and find a store where people play that game (but I'm always intimidated by guys in games stores, always find myself a bit uneasy don't know why...). So yes, basically and I reserve my decision for when the rules and content are released, I'm totally in for two core sets...yes....-_-Zzzzzz (had a hard day today ^^)

17 minutes ago, Elrad said:

And I.... .... .....

-_-

:huh: ... ... What ? Are you waiting for something ? 

-_-Zzzzzzz zzzzz.... :blink: Oh wait, I have to answer... the nap can wait a little longer : GET UP, ELRAD, Just get the f...up....!!!!:angry:

Ok never mind, I'm on my own little trip to hit the wall of madness.... So yes, I'm not completely decided whether or not to blindly buy 2 core sets. The thing is that I won't share it with anybody in particular, I'm used to play left-handed and like to have multiple armies at hand to learn the rules, trying to master the basics of a game and so on. After this big purchase, I will wait. If ther's one faction that I like the most among those two, then I'll buy expansion packs and find a store where people play that game (but I'm always intimidated by guys in games stores, always find myself a bit uneasy don't know why...). So yes, basically and I reserve my decision for when the rules and content are released, I'm totally in for two core sets...yes....-_-Zzzzzz (had a hard day today ^^)

I do always enjoy deciphering these post Elrad keeping being you ^_^

My friend and I are each buying one core box and swapping out the armies.  I will effectively be getting 2x of everything Waiqar from the core and he'll be getting 2x of everything Daqan from the core.  Not bad for $99.95.  We know that the expansion boxes will have upgrades that don't exist in the core set, so I know that I'll end up buying a box of Reanimate Archers when they release.  I don't really mind.  Doubling up on the core set is just too good of a deal to pass up.  With Armada and X-Wing, there is very little reason to buy multiple core sets.  With Runewars (and most table top miniature war games), buying multiple starter sets is usually a great way to get cheaper models.

I just went straight to the double core set. I am not in the least worried about the 2 doubles: even if I bin them straight away it's still great value compared to buying the other components individually, and I get a rule book per player, extra movement thingies for when I lose them, extra dice, etc...

I can use the double heroes to test spray undercoats, or on the contrary to paint some display quality minis, not to be used on the tabletop