Sign in to follow this  
Westonard

Immediate quibble

Unless theyre undead and some future upgrade allows units to "raise" dead... undead already... killed...

The demo is already ahead of you. If a tray is not fully eliminated (3 out of 4 reanimates dead for example) the undead guys can be raised again with the runes that are flipped at the beginning of every round.

No its not. I was talking about future abilities/skills/whatever of future heroes/units... when a unit is totally eliminated which at this time we dont have and was the original point of this particular discussion.

An example of this could be to raise a unit from fallen enemy corpses (not necessarily a unit of the same type of course) or a "open portal and bring an infantry unit to the table of the same type you just lost". Of course both of those should be properly balanced in playtest (or not if going by some other miniatures game I know).

Edited by Kentares

Unless theyre undead and some future upgrade allows units to "raise" dead... undead already... killed...

The demo is already ahead of you. If a tray is not fully eliminated (3 out of 4 reanimates dead for example) the undead guys can be raised again with the runes that are flipped at the beginning of every round.

No its not. I was talking about future abilities/skills/whatever of future heroes/units... when a unit is totally eliminated which at this time we dont have and was the original point of this particular discussion.

An example of this could be to raise a unit from fallen enemy corpses (not necessarily a unit of the same type of course) or a "open portal and bring an infantry unit to the table of the same type you just lost". Of course both of those should be properly balanced in playtest (or not if going by some other miniatures game I know).

I don't think this game wants to go Warhammer 40k Chaos Demon Factory or WHFB Necromancer this early in its run, if at all. Both of those were focused around forcing the player to buy more models just for this sort of game play option, and the Runewars crew has said they are going away from things like PTL in faction specific expansions so players don't feel like they have to buy cross faction. Forcing people to buy more trays is the same sort of thing, and can easily lead to backlash. 

I'm just hoping (and fairly certain that they do) the trays come with the actual units.

That would be stupid of FFG to make you by the bases separately especially since there are three different types by the look of things(infantry, calvary, and monster/hero).

I'm just hoping (and fairly certain that they do) the trays come with the actual units.

Having the trays sold separately would kill this game quicker than anything else with no hope of recovery for this game. Also selling a game supplement in two pieces isn't something that FFG or even GW would do.

Having the trays sold separately would kill this game quicker than anything else with no hope of recovery for this game. Also selling a game supplement in two pieces isn't something that FFG or even GW would do.

The trays will come packaged in, for certain.  I'd also expect them to sell tray only sets like they sell bases for X-wing.  But yes, there is no doubt you receive trays to fit the number of figures that come in an expansion.

Yeah, was waking up this morning when I said that. Something that is optional like unique bases or card sleeves is one thing. But selling the expansion units separate from the required base is a different matter entirely.

It's all so obvious now. Somehow this conversation about spare trays sparked it.

Magnets! Cheapo sheet magnets.

Cut into strips, adhere to sides of bases, profit!

That locking mechanism is looking kinda rough. With a thin sheet magnet the trays will stick to each other with out pulling other units across the board like rare earths would. The trays will also be easy to pull apart since again, cheapo sheet magnets.

Now I really want spare trays to be a thing for testing purposes. 

Only reason I mentioned it was because I hadn't seen anything officially announced about the trays being included I was 99.99999999% sure they would include them since it is so integral to the game.  And I also plan to magnetize my trays and minis, since I am obsessed with magnetizing all my miniature stuff...right now i'm working on magnetic storage for imperial assault for after I paint it.  But i'll be magnetizing the minis to the trays and the trays to other trays.  Neodymium for the win!

and GW sold their trays separate so they would to that...it was one of my biggest qualms with them in WHF...

It's all so obvious now. Somehow this conversation about spare trays sparked it.

Magnets! Cheapo sheet magnets.

Cut into strips, adhere to sides of bases, profit!

That locking mechanism is looking kinda rough. With a thin sheet magnet the trays will stick to each other with out pulling other units across the board like rare earths would. The trays will also be easy to pull apart since again, cheapo sheet magnets.

Now I really want spare trays to be a thing for testing purposes. 

I'll be picking up some custom steel movement trays from Shogun (http://shogunminiatures.com/).  I'll be getting the type with a folded lip around all four sides, and using a small rare earth magnet in between each tray to hold them all together.  I suspect this will work much better than the FFG trays, but it might not look as nice, or be as easy to make scenic with sand, grass etc.  But I'm OK with simple black!

Edit: Well, that and the decision to go for a 6x3 board which seems to be on the larger side of things.

6x3 is actually on the small size, most other games like 40k, Sigmar, or Flames of War use a 6x4 foot table. 6x3 is standard for Armada and Epic X-Wing.

One thing I'll point out however, is it's pretty much a given that you'll need to use the FFG bases at any sort of official tournament. Range, movement, ect... is all all based around them, so you'll need to use them. If you're not going to play in something like Regionals or beyond then it may not matter to you.

Why not just mod the included trays?

Looks like the minis have circle bases, and so do the included trays.  I have a ton of painted up undead on square bases.  I'll be using those since I'm not keen on repainting an entire second undead army...!

so you are planning on playing runewars with...GW models? or another rune wars/terrinoth game's models?

I know I'll certainly be doing the same with my stuff from Descent, and 3d printing some trays

so you are planning on playing runewars with...GW models? or another rune wars/terrinoth game's models?

I know.  Sacrilegious, right? 

I just have hundreds of great undead figures, painted all nicely...  And the though of doing it again with new undead figures fills me with a sense of existential dread... 

just reminds me of a guy that only ever played with proxies at a LGS...always bugged everyone at the store and he eventually was banned from organized play, but I mean if you don't plan on doing any of that more power to you though...

just reminds me of a guy that only ever played with proxies at a LGS...always bugged everyone at the store and he eventually was banned from organized play, but I mean if you don't plan on doing any of that more power to you though...

Technically, if I use Descent figures on my custom bases, it's still legal ;)

Why? Because they're both produced by FFG? I don't think that's how it's going to work.

Why? Because they're both produced by FFG? I don't think that's how it's going to work.

Until they tell me otherwise, and even after at home among friends.  But really it can only help them if they support cross game purchasing.

Ha.  That never occurred to me, but certainly makes sense.  I only play at home with friends.

But if I ever show up to an organized event, I will only bring empty, unwashed ketchup bottles.  One per figure in my army.  "This stinky pile of bottles are my archers.  You can tell from the color of the mold on the bottletops.  These are my cavalry.  They all have cracks in them. "