Kaaihn

Painted Descent is best Descent

2 hours ago, Demtor said:

That said I still probably spent more time on them than necessary but I am off to a good start with my first few groups of baddies. Especially proud of my brown spiders.  

Nice work on the spiders...I totally want to squish the crap out of them.  Good job. :)

On 5/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, Kaaihn said:

I've said a few times that it's just Descent, I'm not going crazy with the paint jobs. Higher levels of highlight and OSL aren't really noticeable on the table for Descent over what I've done. That said, these would look significantly different without highlighting, far more washed (lol) out. There is at least one level of highlighting everywhere, with another on metal areas and extra on certain figures that I felt like doing a little more on.

The nice thing is that if I ever decide to turn these from game pieces into art pieces I can just pick up any piece and continue adding more layers of highlighting and object source lighting to get them there. I doubt I'll ever bother though.

Different strokes for different folks.

I personally don't care if it's "Just" descent or if it's "OMGWTFBBQ" warhammer figures, I strive to paint them all to the same level. There's also something to be said for the simpler, more old school D&D style of the Descent minis compared to the cluster@#$@ of obscene detail on Warhammer minis these days.

My comment wasn't meant to be condescending, just that on some of the larger surfaces, the models look a bit flat since there aren't as strong exaggerations of shadow and highlights. Might also be partically due to the lighting in the photo as well.  

48 minutes ago, Alcovitch said:

Different strokes for different folks.

I personally don't care if it's "Just" descent or if it's "OMGWTFBBQ" warhammer figures, I strive to paint them all to the same level. There's also something to be said for the simpler, more old school D&D style of the Descent minis compared to the cluster@#$@ of obscene detail on Warhammer minis these days.

My comment wasn't meant to be condescending, just that on some of the larger surfaces, the models look a bit flat since there aren't as strong exaggerations of shadow and highlights. Might also be partically due to the lighting in the photo as well.  

No worries, I didn't take it as condescending :)

The lighting on these shots is indeed bad and I'm just grabbing quick shots with my phone. Once I finish everything I'll set my photography area back up and light things properly, good backdrops, and use a real camera to make a nice finished album with. I have the gear for full high quality macro work, but don't want to do it piecemeal.

These models in general don't thrill me. I just like the game and like painted figures better than plain plastic in games that are all about the figures like Descent. If I don't really like the model I don't have the motivation to spend excess time on it. My custom 40K marines and terminators got almost 2 weeks of work, each. Custom moulding and hand crafted 3d flamework, etc. Descent models just don't interest me enough to put that much time into is all. Each to their own though!