Sign in to follow this  
ArturiStellare

Why I don't buy this game

3 hours ago, jek said:

The unique heroes in the core sets are the biggest factor preventing me from committing to two core sets...which is why I want to wait and see what the estimated price of the individual units will be and how many come in a pack. 

I have the same dilemma. It may end up being cheaper to get two core sets to fill out the infantry, dice pool and movement templates followed by buying the seperate blister packs for the upgrade units (musician, leader, hero). However, I'd hate to have duplicate heroes. I suppose I could always donate them to a friend that enjoys painting but I'd rather do the blister packs if it is feasible.

I'm also interested in the pricing as well because I'd like to give myself and my opponent the option of fielding a full formation of Rune Golems and Carrion Worm Lancers but not if it's going to cost hundreds of pounds. That said I got offered a new job today on double my previous salary, so I'm going to be able to go full on into this game even more so than I've done with Imperial Assault where I've bought 1-2 of each blister and a single copy of the boxed expansions.

Edited by Muz333

pre-painted ? would double or thrice the price I guess... I bring here an example coming from a different company : Lord of the ring : War of the ring board game. The company released it at a price under 100€ but has recently released a limited edition of the game with pre-painted minis and deluxe boards and rule books and tokens. well the price was, I think, nearly 400-500€. I don't think that would be a good shot to sell a minis game with such a high price only justifying it by the pre-painted aspect. Players who would like to paint their minis like they want would find less interest in the game

On another side,I agree that buying colours and spending hours to paint an or more armies is also costly so...

13 hours ago, Muz333 said:

I have the same dilemma. It may end up being cheaper to get two core sets to fill out the infantry, dice pool and movement templates followed by buying the seperate blister packs for the upgrade units (musician, leader, hero). However, I'd hate to have duplicate heroes. I suppose I could always donate them to a friend that enjoys painting but I'd rather do the blister packs if it is feasible.

I'm also interested in the pricing as well because I'd like to give myself and my opponent the option of fielding a full formation of Rune Golems and Carrion Worm Lancers but not if it's going to cost hundreds of pounds. That said I got offered a new job today on double my previous salary, so I'm going to be able to go full on into this game even more so than I've done with Imperial Assault where I've bought 1-2 of each blister and a single copy of the boxed expansions.

Congrats on the new Job Muz.  I haven't hit IA that hard since I have only ever played campaign though I think some people are about to force skirmishes on me...

12 hours ago, fistfulofforce said:

If only it was prepainted I would be all in.

Pre-painted miniature games of this magnitude would either look like crap like mageknight, heroclix or they old Star wars game.  Or be priced so astronomically ridiculous that they would not have a following.  Also it would really affect the hobby side of the tabletop gaming community.

1 hour ago, fistfulofforce said:

I would still pay for pre-painted. 

www,paintedfigs.com

they painted my Descent stuff, reasonably priced, give them a call, they'll paint your stuff and it'll look great

I still don't understand people complaining about this not being pre-painted. If you want to pay a ton extra for pre-painted, take it to someone who paints minis. You will spend less than you would if FFG painted it, it will look better, and the people who want to paint thier own don't have to spend so much. It's the definition of a win/win situation.

3 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

I still don't understand people complaining about this not being pre-painted. If you want to pay a ton extra for pre-painted, take it to someone who paints minis. You will spend less than you would if FFG painted it, it will look better, and the people who want to paint thier own don't have to spend so much. It's the definition of a win/win situation.

I think we are going to see a lot of this with RuneWars though.  Unfortunately people are going to be comparing this to the other miniature games FFG has which are painted without taking into account the paint on the x-wing and armada figures are $15-$50 for maybe $.50-$2 of materials.  If they applied that model to a unit of say 4 cavalry with the paint job of the infantry soldier then these things would be like $100 a unit, or as I said before, look like crappy clix figs or similar minis.

My question would then be : will they "base-coat" them or not ? I mean, like in Battlelore where some are blue, others red and the last ones purple ? or will it be like Warhammer, fully grey ? I've got stuffs to paint minis but I'm more interested in the game aspect than on the painting aspect of this product...

Edited by Elrad

27 minutes ago, Elrad said:

My question would then be : will they "base-coat" them or not ? I mean, like in Battlelore where some are blue, others red and the last ones purple ? or will it be like Warhammer, fully grey ? I've got stuffs to paint minis but I'm more interested in the game aspect than on the painting aspect of this product...

Not sure if they will go the route of using different color plastics for the different factions or not...I would say uniform grey would be the best choice for the hobby community as it would be easily concealed even by lighters primers

My guess too... oh boy, I think I will just have to clean up my brushes then ;-)

Nevertheless, Privateer Press seems to use different colors for some of their minis (just checked some battleboxes and saw that minis from Hordes are already in green while some from Warmachine are in blue) don't know if it is one of their policies in producing minis ?

And FFG beeing mainly a boardgames editor It would seem like plausible to have basecoated minis... don't know

Edited by Elrad

Privateer started doing that with the new sets since MK3 but I believe those are also just they same plastic with dye added, though maybe they are using different sculpts now too, idk since I have not purchased anything new since before MK3, also the LGS i used to play warmachine at went out of business so I have no where to play. :( BUT the LGS I play destiny at is basically turning into a FFG store so that is exciting for IA and RW :)

I don't want someone to paint them for me. I want to purchase and it be ready to go. It's fine you guys don't agree but I'm from the old days of D and D minis and we had fun back then with prepainted ready to go minis. It's just my opinion and what I would prefer. You Guys don't have to get so angry about what I think. Who am I anyways? No one.

No one is angry. We are just explaining the economics of it and why it's not pre-painted. I think people are spoiled now with Xwing and Armada. The cost to have a figure in Runewars pre-painted would probably be about as much or more than a small base ship in Xwing... except now instead of your squad having 3-8 of those figures, it'll easily have 25+.

1 hour ago, TallTonyB said:

No one is angry. We are just explaining the economics of it and why it's not pre-painted. I think people are spoiled now with Xwing and Armada. The cost to have a figure in Runewars pre-painted would probably be about as much or more than a small base ship in Xwing... except now instead of your squad having 3-8 of those figures, it'll easily have 25+.

Heck, I'm going to play mine unpainted out of the box. I just want to play it. Painting can come from downtime between games.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, Supertoe said:

I recommend waiting at least two years to jump in. I have little faith that FFG will actually support this game beyond a season or two. Diskwars anyone? Except the difference is that Diskwars was $30, this is $100 for half a set.

Supertoe just nailed it.  If I ever pick this up, it will be from the bargain bin. 

FFG have Lucy Van Pelted me the last time. 

Edited by privateer4hire

On 1/26/2017 at 1:21 PM, jek said:

Congrats on the new Job Muz.  I haven't hit IA that hard since I have only ever played campaign though I think some people are about to force skirmishes on me...

Thanks, a few months of unemployment after my PhD was really hammering my finances!

On 1/26/2017 at 3:10 PM, TallTonyB said:

If it was possible to have everything prepainted with no additional cost it would be great to have as an option. However even a basic paint job would probably cost £1-2 per figure and there is a lot of infantry in this game, it's just not economical. However, those that don't want to paint can easily hire an experienced painter which, as you say, is a win/win.

Edited by Muz333

I honestly think anyone who thinks this game won't be supported is placing a bad bet. X-wing, Armada, GoT, Descent, Netrunner, Arkham series, LoTR, Imperial Assault, and even Conquest before the GW split: all those games have great support. I personally own every single expansion for Descent and there is near unlimited play value there. I play it a good amount and there are still heroes, monsters, and quests I still haven't run. That game is 4 years old and still being supported. Also, this game is in Terrinoth, a world they really want to build up, and already are starting with the road to legend app for Descent.

The path is wide open to drop massive support for this game, and their recent history lines up with that.

/opinion

7 hours ago, Carbini said:

I honestly think anyone who thinks this game won't be supported is placing a bad bet. X-wing, Armada, GoT, Descent, Netrunner, Arkham series, LoTR, Imperial Assault, and even Conquest before the GW split: all those games have great support. I personally own every single expansion for Descent and there is near unlimited play value there. I play it a good amount and there are still heroes, monsters, and quests I still haven't run. That game is 4 years old and still being supported. Also, this game is in Terrinoth, a world they really want to build up, and already are starting with the road to legend app for Descent.

The path is wide open to drop massive support for this game, and their recent history lines up with that.

/opinion

I look at what they want to do with the new quarterly kits and see that FFG wants to do something special with the game. I already love the idea of tournaments using special cards.

I also think that it's pretty obvious that there will be tons of support for this game.  Most of the games people have lamented a lack of support for (or a termination of the line) were victims of the split between GW and FFG.  Other games, sure, it stinks that Battlelore hasn't gotten more support, but Battlelore 2nd was released in 2013.  Now, I have never worked for any game company, so I don't know the lead time for development of a game like this, but I would imagine it is significant.  

I think (and this is unfounded speculation, so bear that in mind) that work on Battlelore organically grew into development of this game, one which gives the designers a little more freedom in the design space.  

As for continued support of this game, I am confident that this is going to be one of FFG's flagships, and that is really important.  We saw what can happen with licensed games.  I obviously have no idea what the terms or length of the license agreement between FFG and Disney/LFL are, but I for one am really happy that FFG will have what looks like an engaging and fun minis game totally free of the constraints of a licensing agreement.

I fully agree (what a surprise), and moreover, it is their first attempt in the field of med-fan rank&file minis game so we just have to pray that the game will be a true hit for FFG, allowing the company to gain confidence in the field and support the game furthermore than already intended to.

And also, on a more light note : this topic must change its title by now it no more "Why I don't buy this game". Instead we can say : "Why I don't buy this game twice or thrice" or "Why I buy this game" :P

Edited by Elrad

58 minutes ago, Elrad said:

And also, on a more light note : this topic must change its title by now it no more "Why I don't buy this game". Instead we can say : "Why I don't buy this game twice or thrice" or "Why I buy this game" :P

Now you jinxed it...countdown to another person posting about how bad this will be or some unfounded nonsense! 3...2...1...

1 hour ago, jek said:

Now you jinxed it...countdown to another person posting about how bad this will be or some unfounded nonsense! 3...2...1...

And just like that prices for the blisters are announced!

I know :D Well the malediction is operating, mwahahahahaha !

Well now I think the initial title of the topic is relevant again.  With this prices announced, It's like blowing on a cards castle... and rebuild it smaller and tougher

What a lot of people in this discussion forget ...: the miniatures market can be ... HUGE compared to one single boardgame.

It is pretty clear that FFG wants to have a stake in this miniatures industry now that GW really made some errors over the last few years.

FFG made a huge impact in the boardgame industry and has now the financial back up of a 250 million dollars parent company like Asmodee. So ... it is quite OBVIOUS this new miniatures game will be supported massively over the next few years. And indeed they will go head to head against the GW infrastructure.

I give it a 50% chance they can grab that lucrative market whatever your personal reasons to play X or Y.

Let me be very clear. Over the last decade, FFG surprised me in how they entered this boardgame market and took so many games to the road of success, despite lots of competition and false prophets, like that idiot Rahdo idiot.

So, yeah, I see the  next big hit incoming.