Sign in to follow this  
ArturiStellare

Why I don't buy this game

Because FFG has interrupted Battlelore, I m still waiting for the elf faction, and because FFG has interrupted my favourite game of all time wharhammer 40k conquest LCG probabily for make this game that seems a very good game, but sorry, I have spent a lot of money in the above products that FFG hasn't complete.

Edited by ArturiStellare

Because FFG has interrupted Battlelore, I m still waiting for the elf faction, and because FFG has interrupted my favourite game of all time wharhammer 40k conquest LCG probabily for make this game that seems a very good game, but I have spent many money in the above products that FFG hasn't complete.

Great, except they were going to lose the GW license anyway.  I have all of conquest also.  GW was never going to let them keep it, regardless of Runewars.  Also, I hope they do release more for Battlelore

Because FFG has interrupted Battlelore, I m still waiting for the elf faction, and because FFG has interrupted my favourite game of all time wharhammer 40k conquest LCG probabily for make this game that seems a very good game, but sorry, I have spent a lot of money in the above products that FFG hasn't complete.

This game had nothing to do with why they dissolved the GW partnership, and there is a good chance that this game could reinvigorate interest in the terrinoth universe, thereby leading to increased sales of battlelore product, making an expansion more likely.

So I guess I just don't understand your complaint.

I hated to see Warhammer 40K conquest go and we will never get to see a Forbidden stars expansion, that's was ready to go to print.  I don't understand why people are so upset about Battle lore 2nd edition.  I own the game, still play it today as a great fast light wargame.   FFG never said they were going to make elf's, don't get me wrong I would buy them today if they came out.   With three factions each with an Army upgrade and more neutral units that can be used by any side.  Battle lore 2nd is a full game, and I don't think it's made lesser by not having more factions.  

Do really need anther "I'm not buying this game, because of X" thread?  I'm beyond excited that a major player in the tabletop industry going a to make a rank and file miniatures game.  If someone told me that FFG or really any company going to make a new IP R&F game, I wouldn't have believed them.  GW literally blow up the Warhammer Old world, to make Age of Sigmar, because they didn't want to make a R&F game anymore.  

Edited by dcgoose86

I do think it's a shame that BattleLore hasn't gotten much love.  It's a great game.

I'm still in the wait-and-see on RuneWars.  It went off my radar at first because it was assumed it'd have X-Wing's terrible distribution model of BUY ALL THE THINGS, but since that doesn't seem to be the case I'd like to see it in action. 

For me Battlelore is better. Its easy and simple to play also for new players! But its very variable and lots of fun! So i find enough players to play that. Im not sure if i find enough with Runewars.

I own battlelore, and I still hope they do elves for it, but for me 28mm is the best.

I'm not into it because of those command tool dials.

rwm01_spearman_command_tool.png

It looks nice, but having these things (one for each unit! gah!) clutter up the battlefield and each turn your picking them up, tweaking them, then moving your minatures, changing another dial...It feels a bit gimicky to me, plus I'd like a battlefield with only teh terrain and minis on it, not strewn with tokens and dice and now big dials on plastic stands! I'd be using them as cover half the time. ;)

Oh and also there's the fact that I'm sinking my money in half a dozen of FFGs other games, so I got none to spare for this one...

You can always just leave the dials on the appropriate unit card. Just make sure you're appropriately marking which dial goes with which squad. If you're at a tournament or other non-casual venue be sure to clear it with your opponent and the TO.

I really like all the tracking methods FFG puts in their minis games. It reduces how much minutiae you have to keep track of and helps prevent arguments over intent. 

I expect this will run at or slightly above Armada costs. I've stopped collecting X-Wing stuff and curtailed Armada collecting for the initial launch. If it's as good as I hope, cool, if not I can always catch up on other things. 

I think those dials are a smart solution for tracking the game mechanics/descisions of the players through out the game. They are the same ans command dials like in SW X-Wing/Armada.

If we will have a unit card and dial for every unit, you could just put every dial from the board and onto those regarding unit cards and face down, so they wouldn't "pollute the wonderful countryside" of your gaming table ^^!

Personally i don't have any problems with tokens and Co onto the gaming table (coming from Warmachine/Hordes and Guildball) :).

I recommend waiting at least two years to jump in. I have little faith that FFG will actually support this game beyond a season or two. Diskwars anyone? Except the difference is that Diskwars was $30, this is $100 for half a set.

Edited by Toenail

I recommend waiting at least two years to jump in. I have little faith that FFG will actually support this game beyond a season or two. Diskwars anyone? Except the difference is that Diskwars was $30, this is $100 for half a set.

Hmm this does look like a proper minis game, not the "why are we playing warhammer with pogs?" that was diskworld diskwars.

Question is will it be able to hold it's own against warmahordes and a resurgent GW?

Hmm this does look like a proper minis game, not the "why are we playing warhammer with pogs?" that was diskworld diskwars.

Question is will it be able to hold it's own against warmahordes and a resurgent GW?

It won't hold up if fans wait 2 years to give it a go. If you don't like the game why are you here in this forum?

I'd like to try it but my fear is that i would invest too much in this game and all of the sudden, FFG would announce the incoming release of Latari elves for Battlelore which is more my cup of tea. My wallet cannot sustain both games.

Well...  GW only makes tabletop skirmish games at this point.  Runewars isn't a skirmish game.  Also, GW games have a super high barrier to entry for new players to be able to play a 'standard game'.  An 1850 point army can cost $$$, takes a long time to assemble, takes a fair amount of skill to assemble well and might very well be useless in today's meta.  Age of Sigmar is similar, but cheaper due to most of the core rules being free.

Warmahordes is also a skirmish game and has almost no capacity to support casual players.  It's more of a rock/paper/scissors competition, where the player who can pull off the game winning combo first triumphs.  At least, that's been my experience.

I realize that Runewars will be competing with GW and PP (Privateer Press), but Runewars will also be capturing the segment of gamers who like the idea of tabletop games, but have no real interest in spending grueling hours building their armies.  Those players were never going to buy into GW or PP games. 

...Age of Sigmar is similar, but cheaper due to most of the core rules being free...

Dont forget that several players (even some GW fanboys) refused to keep playing/buying that abomination and looked for alternatives.

Edited by Kentares

...Age of Sigmar is similar, but cheaper due to most of the core rules being free...

Dont forget that several players (even some GW fanboys) refused to kept playing/buying that abomination and looked for alternatives.

Means really not that much, many were just pissed they offed WHF and i know quite some 40k players that would have never started WHF but started AoS.

Yes i played WHF and i do not play AoS but it's not about beiing a abomination, it's more about having more than enough miniature wargames already and it is not a game with rank and file infantry.

Overall AoS is doing better than at it's release time thanks to more reasonably priced start collecting boxes and the generals handbook, it's probably still a far cry from WHFs heydays but it is growing and it will be interesting to see whre it is going.

Dont forget that several players (even some GW fanboys) refused to keep playing/buying that abomination and looked for alternatives.

Means really not that much, many were just pissed they offed WHF...

So you manage to criticize and support my claim in the same setence... congratulations.

Edited by Kentares

Dont forget that several players (even some GW fanboys) refused to kept playing/buying that abomination and looked for alternatives.

Means really not that much, many were just pissed they offed WHF...

So you manage to criticize and support my claim in the same setence... congratulations.

No i do not, you called it an abomination which i said it is not, as said many old WHF players left just because they were angry about GWs move which is understandable but has nothing to do with the game itself and how good/bad it is, and many of those old WHF players choose to hate it without even trying it.

And i don't play it because it is a very different game and it is not what i want, i played some demo games for AoS and yes it was fun it is just not the game i personally want but not because it is a abomination or bad and as said and because it is a very different game compared to WHF it attracts players that wouldn't have played WHF and thanks to some things GW did it seems to be growing.

So in conclusion i do not support your claim that many old WHF players did not play it because it is a abomination and a bad game, which i think you are implying by calling it an abomiantion, I'm just saying there are many reasons why those players didn't start AoS which have nothing to do with the actual quality of the game but if you are saying it is an abomination for you because it is a very different game than WHF was then you are right of course.