Sign in to follow this  
Ferretz

Collisions and ramming things :)

So, I've always thought the rules for collisions were a bit unspectacular, and after seeing Rogue One a couple of times (loved it!), I found that I wanted to expand on the rules for ramming that appears in Stay on Target. So I wrote up some ideas today, and I thought I'd share them here, to see what you guys think. :) 

Note that I didn't want to change any existing rules with this, but rather add to the rules as they are in the book. I also very much like to keep the rules similar to other rules in the game. I've not playtested this yet:

Expanded Ramming

Ramming can be used as a risky, but effective tactic for vehicles, especially those equipped with a ram attachment.

Ramming follows the regular rules as described for collisions in the core book, and for ramming in Stay on Target, with a few additions.

When a vehicle decides to ram another, it must be in Close range of the target and make a Piloting (Space or Planetary) Check. The difficulty is decided by the speed of the two vehicles, and uses the table for Gain the Advantage (see page 247 of AoR).

If the Piloting Check is successful, the rammer hits his target. All successful ramming attempts are considered major collisions. In addition to the regular modifiers, an additional modifier equal to the rammering vehicle's Silhouette × current Speed is added to the rammed ship's Critical result.

Each s on a ramming attempt increases adds 2 to the Critical Damage roll on the rammed vehicle, and any uncancelled a reduces the result on the Critical Damage roll for the ramming vehicle. In addition, T can be spent to hinder the rammed vehicle, preventing it from taking any Maneuvers or Actions until the end of its next turn (can be activated up to two times).

Each t adds +2 to the ramming ships Critical roll, and any d rolled can be spent to prevent the ramming ship from taking any Maneuvers or Actions until the end of its next turn (can be activated up to two times).

Vehicles described as Massive add 10 per level of this trait to the Critical Damage roll rammed targets. They also subtract 10 per level of this trait to the Critical check to themselves in when ramming.

Example: In a desperate attempt to save the rest of the fleet, the captain of a Nebulon-B Frigate sets full speed and attempts to ram an approaching Imperial-I Star Destroyer. The frigate has Speed 3 and Silhouette 6, giving it a +18 to the Critical Damage roll when ramming. The destroyer has a speed of 2, making it easy for the frigate to catch the slower ship. Both ships roll for Critical Damage when they connect. The Frigate rams with its front into the side of the destroyer, so its modifier is -10. The destroyer has stronger shields than the frigate, but due to the modifiers from the size and speed of the ramming ship, and the Massive trait of the destroyer, its total modifier is -17.

If a ramming starship rams another ship or object that has no power on its own, the ramming ship can spend aaa or x to move the target one Range Band in any direction, possibly colliding it with another object.  

Each s on a ramming attempt increases adds 2 to the Critical Damage roll on the rammed vehicle, and any uncancelled a reduces the result on the Critical Damage roll for the ramming vehicle. In addition, T can be spent to hinder the rammed vehicle, preventing it from taking any Maneuvers or Actions until the end of its next turn (can be activated up to two times).

Uhh, "font=swrpgicons"? How did you do that again?

If a ramming starship rams another ship or object that has no power on its own, the ramming ship can spend aaa or x to move the target one Range Band in any direction, possibly colliding it with another object.

And now "font=eote symbol"? WTF?!?

I found a Word-file template online somewhere that had all the symbols in it, and I just copy-pasted them where I needed them, then I copied the text from my Word-file into this post. :) 

Question on this.   The Hotshot's K-Turn (a maneuver) removes "GTA" effects... Ramming requires a GTA roll.   So - could a hotshot avoid a ramming attempt by using a K-Turn - OR would that be an out-of-turn maneuver and thus not within the RAW / RAI ?

On 2017-11-06 at 10:59 PM, Khyrith said:

Question on this.   The Hotshot's K-Turn (a maneuver) removes "GTA" effects... Ramming requires a GTA roll.   So - could a hotshot avoid a ramming attempt by using a K-Turn - OR would that be an out-of-turn maneuver and thus not within the RAW / RAI ?

No, because it's not an out-of-turn maneuver and it specifically counters GtA. Ramming uses the same base difficulty as GtA, but is a completely different action.

Edited by penpenpen
Forgot the word "not".

On 10.11.2017 at 1:36 AM, penpenpen said:

No, because it's an out-of-turn maneuver and it specifically counters GtA. Ramming uses the same base difficulty as GtA, but is a completely different action.

K-Turn is actually not out of turn. 

K O I O G R A N T U R N
Activation: Active (Maneuver)
Ranked: No
Trees: Hotshot

And don't forget the speed 4 requirement. :)

2 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

K-Turn is actually not out of turn. 

Embarrasing mistake on my part. Missed typing out a "not". It would have to be an out of turn maneuver to avoid ramming as the ram occurs in rammers turn if I'm not mistaken. Again. Thanks for catching it.

2 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

And don't forget the speed 4 requirement. :)

Wouldn't dream of it. ;)

Edited by penpenpen