Sign in to follow this  
Guest BladeWing24

Venting on the state of armada

Guest BladeWing24

Thing that need to be fixed.

This is not a game of chess it's rock, paper, scissors and that really needs to be fixed bad. Xwing players have noticed it and are put off by it and the armada communities hostility to xwing in general also isn't helping. Many do play both but hate how the is largely decided on build not skill. They point to contracted scout issue they had before it was fixed and say that is armada.

Horribly not welcoming and scary to new ones. I can sell someone on xwing if I say anything about armada they run in fear.

The fact that obscure ships still rule the meta and a straight middle finger to defensive play style see AP, xi7, email and FAQs reversal. That alone almost made me write the game off. The reversal which destroyed not only AP but the redirect token as well and needs to be reversed

Not listening to the community at large to appease a certain competive class of player.

A lot of xwing guys refuse to get into armada do the bad reputation of armada tournament setup.

Edited by BladeWing24

Guest BladeWing24

Large, medium ships need a fix or the game will devolve into xwing mini epic. I did not buy that.

Guest BladeWing24

Really never see anyone playing it at any LGS I go to. This is from asking around why?

Guest BladeWing24

@BladeWing24 I do think it is time you move on from Armada.

Complaining about Armada when it is currently at an absolutely amazing state is really ridiculous.

Right now everything is viable and the mix that can be brought to the table is outstanding.

Exihibit A as to the hostility btw.

So what exactly are you saying needs to be fixed. All I get from your post is a vague rambling about unbalanced gaming and an unproven statement about this being rock paper scissors and the unsubstantiated claim the game is all about list bulding and not skill. I don't care if you have complaint but actually put examples of what you feel is wrong instead of an "ARMADA IS DEAD" ramble.

I would echo Ninja's sentiment. Your observations on the state of the game are objectively wrong. Whatever hostility you are experiencing regarding xwing v armada seems like a local issue, as that is entirely a local player problem. We don't have it here, although I've heard of the reverse in other locales. Really, hostility based on what game someone plays is ludicrous on its face.

Edit: Although given that you took Ninja as hostile (also objectively rediculous) it may also just be you are perceiving hostilty where none exists.

More importantly, every time you post its clear you arent enjoying the game. Thats fine, but life is too short to waste playing games you don't enjoy. Find a game you DO enjoy, and play that.

Edited by Madaghmire

Hmm. Even tough I may disagree with some of the OPs post, he does have some good points.

For background, I have been playing Armada since the beginning (same with Xwing, but I digress), and it has become my goto and only game, except for occasional forays back into Xwing.

Around 8 months back I moved to SW Florida from KY, so have knowledge of the state of the game in both places.

The game is basically dead in both locales. In KY (I still have friends back there) there are no tourneys, and hardly anyone ever plays anymore.

Here, there is a store about an hour away were a group is trying to get things going. Locally, I have a store were me and my buddy Destraa are attempting to drum up interest and support, with very mixed results.

Xwing is definitely the stronger presence. I believe entry cost, however is the major deterrent to new players.

As far as the actual game play....... I hate flotillas. I do. I despise what they have done to the overall meta game. I want to fly ISD's and large capital ships, not flail about attempting to swat small fry, dammit!!

On the other hand, I just got CC and the new wave, and this certainly looks set to change things dramatically, so I am not giving up ever! Lol.

As far as hostility....lets all try to get along, Mkay?

Now now guys, Bladewing has caused this beatiful post, and for that i am grateful.

Hilarious.  Would you mind terribly if we called you "Admiral"?

I was under the impression that this was just satire. Am I wrong?

Ryan, are you italian, the phrasing you chose reminds me of someone i know. Just curious thats all.

I'm inclined to agree that the game is problematic right now.  I have two specific issues.  It should be said that I'm not coming from X-Wing.  I've played a grand total of maybe five games of X-Wing.  It's a good game, but it's a completely different game.  X-Wing is tactically reactive from turn to turn.  Armada isn't.

#1 - The game can frequently be decided after the list building and deployment steps.  What I mean here is that if you have a bad list or a bad deployment...  you're not going to win versus a good list/good deployment MOST of the time.  Skill is not really the equalizer that it is in many games.  It's not like a skillful player can make a Victory-class Star Destroyer fly faster if he deployed it a bit too far out.  There is no coming back from certain mistakes and it feels like you hit a point where you know you've lost, but you have to play the loss out in slow motion to try to mitigate the damage and get a better score.

#2 - Squadrons seem weirdly unbalanced.  It seems crazy that the majority of ships in the game CAN'T kill a Decimator, even with perfectly lined up shots and all hits all game long.  A few of the ships that have two anti-squadron dice CAN kill certain squadrons over the course of a game, but only with good rolls and at the expense of shooting at other ships.  I feel like the only reason a player wouldn't take all squadrons is the hard limit on squadron points and the loss condition of having no ships. 

I don't even play the game, and I think that there are multiple builds.  The X-Wing versus Armada thing is a strawman.  They are two separate games with separate playstyles.  To a T, I have almost always seen non tournament player hostility on the X-Wing forum.  The rep there is deserved.  This group's been nothing but welcoming, but will absolutely leap on troll posts like this one.  If there is a complaint, use the Scientific Method and start the discussion from that angle.  You'll get a lot more sympathetic voices, even if they disagree.

Troll alert. Don't feed him. Cninja's rsponse was spot on and more than he deserved. Now, since there has been a precedence set for dated games, let me gripe about how only four people can play settlers of Catan......

;)

Expansion pack dude....

you missed my sarcasm....

Knowing Catan, there is an expansion pack for that too

Guest BladeWing24

Not Rock Paper Scissors why did I catch Ben changing his build to take advantage of my builds weakness. Btw real a rock to scissors move. But Ben just told not one week earlier that build with large ships and no fighters was dead. Which btw way I was building to take on he previous builds fighter heavy nature. When I saw his build was a perfect answer to my build and had no fighters I knew how he winning every time he built cheesy builds to play against the major archetypes and switched up at the last second to get the easy win. When I switched up he would switch up. That time I lost three games with the same build each time to test my theory, and each time he ask me if was going to change. I didn't to see if he would change as knew he hated that build he was playing. He didn't change a thing. A friend also noticed this and agreed that was what he was doing as he usually only changes up when I change my list and each time it amazingly played against my weekends. That needs to be fixed. If you win the game based mainly on set up then it leads to people quitting early and not investing in the game. Which is what I am seeing and hearing from people in the LGS.

Not Rock Paper Scissors why did I catch Ben changing his build to take advantage of my builds weakness. Btw real a rock to scissors move. But Ben just told not one week earlier that build with large ships and no fighters was dead. Which btw way I was building to take on he previous builds fighter heavy nature. When I saw his build was a perfect answer to my build and had no fighters I knew how he winning every time he built cheesy builds to play against the major archetypes and switched up at the last second to get the easy win. When I switched up he would switch up. That time I lost three games with the same build each time to test my theory, and each time he ask me if was going to change. I didn't to see if he would change as knew he hated that build he was playing. He didn't change a thing. A friend also noticed this and agreed that was what he was doing as he usually only changes up when I change my list and each time it amazingly played against my weekends. That needs to be fixed. If you win the game based mainly on set up then it leads to people quitting early and not investing in the game. Which is what I am seeing and hearing from people in the LGS.

You do realize that this is because "Ben" is a ******, not because Armada is a bad game?

Guest BladeWing24

I love what this game could be but I am tired of the community elites dismissing it problems. Notice I was told to quit that is a jerk thing to say. Ok I don't matter the one for a year promoted this game started a club to watch it die and is now trying to wake people up.