Sign in to follow this  
voltagejim

Has anyone used these to transport and hold your ships?

Trying to find something that I can put all my ships in.  Right now I have them in a gallon size zip lock bag and I noticed the other day that the wing had broken off my TIE fighter :(  I am trying to buy 1 of every ship in the game, and so far have almost a complete rebel and empire fighter collection. 

Was looking at this type of case:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PW7TCJG?psc=1 

There are others it seems of that same material.  Was wondering if there was just one set I could buy that comes with inserts for every ship in the game or do I have to get nickel and dmied and buy like 5 different sets of those cases since they all seem to house different capital ships?

Feldherr is ship specific type of solution thats why i don't like it. If you wanna carry whole collection in Feldherr you need to buy every foam they have. As for the sets you need to look around the net - both Feldherr site and 3rd parties can also sell custom sets of their products.

But i strongly discourage using Felherr as whole collection storage solution.

I use feldherr and am very happy with the protection and storage they offer. Not sure where you from but I in the uk and have found chaos cards to give excellent prices for these.

It is true that for large ships they have exact shape moulds so you do need to buy the exact one. For almost all the small ships (not including things like the punisher and k wing) they have trays that have 10 generic slots in them. Now these come in 2 sizes one thin one where ships like the x wing just lay flat and a thicker one where you can keep the small ships on the base with 1 peg in them. Personally I prefer this as my ships are pre set up and much quicker to pack away after playing.

The ones for large ships though do have other slots as well though so you do get use out of them.

Now after the foam you need to think about a bag or box for the foam, 1 bag would be good to have that is big enough to transport as many ships as you are likely to take to a game away from home. The bags come in 4 sizes I think. They also do storage boxes which are very overpriced so I would just look for generic storage boxes that fit the size, now there are even places that make custom sized boxes but you need to order 25 or so as a minimum, but if you had a friend in the same boat as you maybe you could split the cost and it still works out better than buying feldherrs boxes.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Storgar

As far as tackle-box type cases go, it's pretty hard to beat these from Home Depot: http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485

You get 2 of them for less than $10, plus they hook together so you can keep adding on as your collection grows larger. Highly recommend. 5 Stars. Would buy again.

I use Feldherr cases. While for large base and huge ships you will need custom foam for standard ships their generic foam is fine. Feldherr to me make by far the best cases available. Nearly all the X-Wing players I know use them.

Feldherr-ing myself as well, for Star Wars Armada and X-Wing. Have like 12 of their carton boxes size M and put together squads which I then take to friends in their Feldherr bags.

Bought 2 new boxes with inserts for Hero Quest and Star Quest as well.

I use a bag, that fits 3x2 trays. Is really good, but I wish I had a small bag for 3 trays only to take to tournaments - it can hold 2 big ships and a few small ones. If I had the option, I would keep everything else in the cardboard box.

True, that the trays are large-ship-specific, but I think that adds protection to the minis.

For fleet storage (The hangar bay), I use some generic foam with rectangular cut outs and mod each one to suit my needs.

For tournament transportation, I've been using a Plano 5321 - works a treat so far, though I can't quite fit a double ghost list without butchering the insides.

There's an album of my storage solution here:

http://imgur.com/a/vtzaN

I love my Feldher case. Got the mini plus with trays for YT1300, YT2400 and 10 small ships. Both the arc and the kwing fit ok if you remove the base and put the diagonally in one of the slots.

I cycle and the mini plus fits perfectly in a pannier bag.

Just ordered a second one with trays for the ghost, cards and dials and another 10 ships.

I'm a big fan of Feldherr, but if you're worried about needing custom foam for large ships, you can always pick up some of their Raster foam trays and make a couple of generic "large ship" slots in them for a more flexible storage solution.  If nothing else, their cases are really good.

I use Feldherr.  I feel Plano is a good storage solution at home or light travel when you can keep it from getting jostled around too much.  Feldherr cases with the foam allow you to hop the bus to a game without worry.  When you're driving you don't have to be as paranoid of the case shifting around either.

Maybe I'm overly worried about the mini's durability, but the Feldherr looks great and gives that extra peace of mind.

I've a couple of the soft Feldherr mini plus cases which were perfect for my Confrontation collection and wouldn't cost me much to re-fit with X-Wing foam, but I was always worried that I'd lean back on the bag inside a rucksack and squash the delicate lead contents.  Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the soft cases for transporting X-Wing around please?

Trouble with the Plano stuff is that the few I've seen recommended just don't get sold over here.