Sign in to follow this  
Jamaican Lumberjack

Chewbacca crew and lethal damage

So I am aware that if you have 2 hull and 2 incoming damage crewbacca keeps you alive with 1 shield and 1 hull. But what if you have 2 hull and three incoming damage, does the chewbacca ability save you with 1 hull left due I the second damage card being discarded to the ability and the third damage being absorbed by the newly recovered shield, or does the ship end up dead with 1 shield?

Chewie kicks in when you receive the 2nd damage, so you get the first one, discard the 2nd and get a shield back (and now you're at 1shield and 1hull), the 3rd hits your brand new shield, leaving you at 1 hull in the end

Couldn't Chewie kick in on the first damage card?

"When you are dealt a damage card, you may immediately discard that card and recover 1 shield."

Result is 3 hits.  First damage card is discarded, resulting in 1 shield + 2hull.

Next 2 hits take out the shield and then 1 hull.

Effectively this is the same result, but if the first and/or second results are crits, it could allow you to avoid a crit on your ship.

Edited by USCGrad90

Damage cards are dealt one at a time.  

You get the first you decide to use Chewie or not.  

If you don't then you get the second and can decide to use Chewie or not and it this can you definitely should!  

Now that third damage comes in and is cancelled by the Shield token you just got back.

If that incoming damage had been boom, kaboom, kaboom Chewie would allow the Falcon to say flying having only taken the face-down damage from the boom as the face-up card from the first kaboom would get discarded by Chewie and the second kaboom would get cancelled with the new Shield token.

Damage cards are dealt one at a time.  

You get the first you decide to use Chewie or not.  

If you don't then you get the second and can decide to use Chewie or not and it this can you definitely should!  

Now that third damage comes in and is cancelled by the Shield token you just got back.

If that incoming damage had been boom, kaboom, kaboom Chewie would allow the Falcon to say flying having only taken the face-down damage from the boom as the face-up card from the first kaboom would get discarded by Chewie and the second kaboom would get cancelled with the new Shield token.

Got my order of damage backwards.  For some reason thinking crits go first..

Got my order of damage backwards.  For some reason thinking crits go first..

If that was the case you'd see a lot of people happy but also make crits even harder to land.  Now crits DO "go first" in the case of cancellation when autoblaster weapons are used but that is simply because the regular hits can't be cancelled.  If crits always went first that means fewer get through as you cancel those out and leave the hits and if they did get through they'd run into shields first.  There's a good reason that crits are dealt with after hits.

PS.  I wasn't even thinking about your comment when I mentioned how Chewie would work when you throw crits into the mix.  If all you're taking are hits then it really doesn't matter which damage you use Chewie on as he effectively blocks 2.  What bothers me most about Chewie is that there are three times you use him:

1.  You would suffer a face-up card (or two!) that you'd rather not take.

2.  You're going to be dead if you don't use him!!

3.  And now because of the half points @ half health rule you may just "pop" him when the ship would go from over-half to under-half because if he's still on the ship when the game ends he hasn't done you a bit of good despite still being good for two attacks.

Edited by StevenO

Armada has crits come out first, if you play that you might have gotten mixed up. Lord knows i did that a few times lol.

The only way chewie wouldnt keep you alive is if you suffered more than 2 damage. Discard one, shield block the other, the third damage goes through and can potentially kill you.

Ive actually thought about using Chewie to purposely block crits, since his card doesnt specify faceup or facedown. price and crew slot make me think otherwise.

If you suffered a boom, boom, kaboom but use Chewie on the FIRST boom then you could still die.  Chewie stops the first boom, the Shield token stops the second boom, and then the kaboom gets to deal a face-up card which  might give you what it takes to kill the ship.

When it comes to Chewie-crew you really do want to save him for a face-up damage card or to prevent the last damage that would actually kill you.  There is generally no need to stop some random face-down card from landing and at 4 points he's far more effective that just a Shield upgrade would be.  Chewies biggest drawback has long been filling that crew slot in the face of ever better crew.

Thanks for the help. That clears it up a lot. This card is literally insane. If only rebels had a high agility ace type ship with a crew slot.

Chewie crew has always been a solid card. It just got out done by C-3PO which was a point cheaper to boot.

He works well on a HWK or Assault Shuttle if there isn't some other crew that you need to bring. 

I think that the current best carrier for him is Ezra shuttle, but just imagine whisper with chewie.

As for c3p0 overshadowing him, I think that is only due to the fact that good c3p0 carriers are far more prevalent than good chewie carriers. 5/8 of an evade every turn is a lot better than 2 hp on a 13 hp ship. Not so much on a 3-4 hp 3-4 agi ship. Plus c3p0 gives you significantly less value on a 3-4 agi ship.

You may also use Chewie on the 3rd card to preserve your shield.

Shame you wont preserve your hull that way :D

I'm not entirely sure what this means.  Are you saying use Chewie the first time you'll take damage to preserve your shield?  Until your shields are gone you wouldn't be able to use Chewie in most cases as you aren't taking cards.

You may also use Chewie on the 3rd card to preserve your shield.

Shame you wont preserve your hull that way :D

I'm not entirely sure what this means.  Are you saying use Chewie the first time you'll take damage to preserve your shield?  Until your shields are gone you wouldn't be able to use Chewie in most cases as you aren't taking cards.

Hypotetical scenario: you have no shields and 2 hulls and get 3 damage cards.

Case 1, use chewie  on first card - new shield goes to second card, 3rd damage goes to hull.

Case 2, use chewie on second card - first card hull, second chewie, 3rd on new shield.

Case 3, use chewie on third card - first card hull, second card hull, (you are dead at this point) 3rd card discarded with chewie, you regain shield, you die with 1 shield on.

Edited by Vitalis