Sign in to follow this  
Helios85

After the core set...

Hi gang,

Another Armada newbie here! I've invested in the Rebels side of the Core Set. I'm just curious what might be good purchases for the next step. I can't afford to buy 2 or 3 of everything just yet, but looking to get a basic Force of 300 and then upto 400 points to start with that won't cost the Earth. Is there anything in particular that people recommend?

Are you focusing on just Rebels?

If so to get up and running I suggest getting these: 

At least one Rebel Squadron I Pack, although two is more advisable. 

An Assault Frigate MK II

Either a MC-80 Home One (Has powerful broadsides) or MC-80 Liberty (Powerful Bow/Front guns)

Eventually you'll want to get one of everything and two of some such as CR-90's. 

Edited by Forresto

buy what you think looks good and fun to play with, Plus some fighters to go with, the good thing especially with rebels is every ship is powerful in their own way from the smallest ship (bright hope) which can be a pain the arse to get rid of to the big capitol ships that can rain death on the opposition from their sides or front.

I would recommend the Assault Frigate Mark II as it can be a great flagship for the 300 point games, medium based like the Victory - has good shields and firepower and the Gallant Haven title will toughen your x wing squadrons if used right, and get one or two Squadron packs, either I or II depending what small ship fighters you like the most.

The other way you could go is get the new Phoenix Home Expansion Pack - if you watch Star Wars Rebel's you know the ship.

When you got your 300 pts Fleet up and running and you plan to go to 400 pts then get either a Home One or a Liberty as they can go toe to toe with the ISD.

Assault Frigate Mark II can be a great flagship for the 300 point games, medium based like the Victory, had good shields and firepower and the Gallant Haven title will toughen your x wing squadrons if used right.

I can't believe no one's recommended an MC30.  They're usually in the first 3 recommendations, often the first.

Not that I'm recommending one, mind you.  Just surprised that no one else has.  Are they being frowned upon at the moment?

buy what you think looks good and fun to play with,

I'd recommend Benji's advice here.  It really still is a game where everything goes, so go for what drives you.

i got the core and Phoenix Home  and Star Destroyer for imperial to start whit I rebels girlfriend empire

first exp packs i get is gonna be

Imperial / Rebel get thos bombers both factions

next

Raider 

Imperial Assault / Rebel Transports fotilla both factions

then

Interdictor

last

more fighter packs 1 and 2 for both faction + The Corellian Conflict

I can't believe no one's recommended an MC30.  They're usually in the first 3 recommendations, often the first.

Not that I'm recommending one, mind you.  Just surprised that no one else has.  Are they being frowned upon at the moment?

They are alright if you know how to use them correctly. THey're probably better off as a later expansion for the OP once he learns how to play the game. 

Hi gang,

Another Armada newbie here! I've invested in the Rebels side of the Core Set. I'm just curious what might be good purchases for the next step. I can't afford to buy 2 or 3 of everything just yet, but looking to get a basic Force of 300 and then upto 400 points to start with that won't cost the Earth. Is there anything in particular that people recommend?

For each faction, depending on what you want to play (edit: I know you said rebels but I also know people change their minds)...

Rebels, given that you have the core:

• Rebel Squadrons 1 (Wave 1)
  • Rebel Squadrons 2 (Wave 5)
  • Assault Frigate Mark II (Wave 1)
  • MC30 Frigate (Wave 2)
  • GR-75 Medium Transport (Wave 3)

That gives you more than enough to make reasonable 400 point lists; you will have X-Wings, one of each of the other non-rogues and villains squadrons at a minimum, and 1 Neb B, 1 CR90, 1 MC30, 1 AF, and 1 GR-75. That's a good base to learn with and see what you like.

Imperials, given you have the core:

• Imperial Squadrons 1 (Wave 1)
  • Imperial Squadrons 2 (Wave 5)
  • Gladiator Star Destroyer (Wave 1)
  • Imperial Star Destroyer (Wave 2)
  • Gozanti Cruiser (Wave 3)
  • Arquitens Light Cruiser (Wave 5)

Same thinking as above. That's a broad variety of stuff to play with, without going totally insane. If you don't want to spend on the ISD, you can swap in something else, but I think the Victory (core set for Imperials) is one of their hardest ships for a new player to use, so having something chunky to sub in for it helps you in ways the Rebels in the core set don't need.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Reinholt

I recommend grabbing the ship(s) you like the most aesthetically and some extra fighter packs to go with it.  Or figuring out what sort of play style you are interested in.

Basic playstyles include:

• Big Ships (1-2 large capitals with support, great for Star Destroyer/Mon Cal fans)
    • Grab whatever big capital ship you want, then a fighter pack, you should be good from here with the starter
  • Bomber wing (max bomber fighters with 3-4 ships specifically to support them)
    • Rebels start pretty well here, especially with Phoenix Home and an Assault Frigate II/ Flotilla, get one pack of each fighters as well
  • Multiple Small Unit "MSU" (Many small maneuverable ships, great for Corvette lovers)
    • For rebels you'll want at least one more corvette, a Flotilla an MC30, as well as fighters.

Iv only just gotten back into the game and I grabbed a load of ships for both sides (I cant just pick one side I love all the ships........) and for Rebels I found that the Mk2 Assault Frigate is great for playing about as its tanky with good armaments and a good hold of fighter control allowing you to throw bombers in the enemy face :D id Recommend that the first fighter pack (at least one) and ether a the Neb B or the CR90 (which ever one you like the most) and build your fleet from their.

in all honesty it comes down to what you want and love, if you want small ships eating away at star destroyers then go for the small ships like the Pelta, CR90, Neb B or the MC30c or if you want big ships grab the Home one or the Liberty but if you want to try a little of both id go for what you have any one of the small ships and the  Mk2 Assault Frigate. 

No matter what you pick they are all good fun ships so grab what you like and enjoy your self :D

Thanks for the advice all! I plumped for the Mk II Assault Frigate and a squad of Fighters (I). First ever game I lost, used only the Core set. Our big ships traded shots for little gain, whereas my terrible dice rolling lost me all my X-Wings and therefore the game.

Second time around we bumped it to 250pts, and I somehow managed a flawless victory with a Mk II Frigate, Nebulon and various Fighters.

Very happy with the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've just grabbed the Home One and MC30 ships, which will keep me going for a while. About to start the Correlian Conflict campaign next week so getting as much practice as possible in.