Sign in to follow this  
BillyBabel

So the first edition expansion tiles don't seem to have been that useful

I had really kind of assumed that if you bought the first edition expansions that the huge box of tiles that you got would at least show up occasionally in the other scenarios like the monsters do, but as far as i can tell the tiles only show up in the missions that are tailor made for them. Seems like a waste when they coulda just sold the figures for 20 dollars if they were only gonna use the tiles for 2 stories. 

As I understand it, each scenario features a number of different maps. Some of them use the 2nd edition tiles exclusively, but if you have access to 1st ED tiles, the game will randomly offer maps including these tiles.

I have seen tiles from 1st Edition in almost every scenario so far, but not every time. It depends on the map the app has chosen. I would think that the tiles will continue to be used in future scenarios, so being able to use them could bring a lot more variance to the game.

Scenarios have multiple maps, but not all of them. Like the second scenario of the original set only has 1 map, but the first scenario has four. Each time you play, one of the four is randomly seclected. So you need to play scenarios multiple times.

I imagine that part of the problem comes from a combination of:

1) how specific some of the locations depicted in the tiles were in the first edition. After all, they were designed for scenarios created in the first edition.

2) how despite variation in map layout, the overall structure of the map needs to follow a set pattern for each scenario.

So whilst it's straight forward to swap a bedroom for a different bedroom, or an entrance hall for a different entrance hall, I'm not expecting to wander into a Chapel or Laboratory in the Vanderbilt manor (please correct me if this does happen, I don't think I've actually fully explored each map variant!). As a result, when a first edition map tile is used, I've been a little underwhelmed by its effectiveness, as it has often simply been a 1-to-1 swap for something from the second edition.

I suppose that the best way to make use of the expansion tiles is to design scenarios that specifically require them, and with the recent announcement of Descent's Nerekhall campaign for Road to Legend, I hope this something that is being considered.