Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

Wings of Glory WW2

I was unaware of a new starter set coming out.... hmmm

I played it a few times. Superficially similar to X-Wing but actually feels very different IMO. WoG came across as more strategic, less "beer and pretzels" than X-Wing. Both are very good games,and both capture the flavor of what they are going for, but to me X-Wing feels like a casual game you could play to fill some time while not needing to concentrate very hard, while WoG felt a lot more like a historical miniatures wargame. If that appeals to you, then absolutely worth picking up.

One thing that really put me off of it though was that there were no point values in WoG for creating moderately balanced games, no way to judge, other than playing many games and forming a gut impression, whether 2 squads will be evenly matched. Maybe they have fixed that more recently, but I doubt it.

Oh also, not really a commentary on the game itself but on the company, when a friend and I were thinking about picking it up at gen con a few years ago we went to the Ares booth for a demo and they had the WORST people running demos I have ever seen. We had been virtually convinced to buy the game and the demo very nearly convinced us not to. the guy giving the demo couldn't explain basic concepts and seemingly didn't actually know the rules. Same thing happened when I demoed Sails of Glory the next year.

Got to play WWII in an epic-like demo event at Origins last year.  Seemed fun, though I found the damage chit mechanic to be fiddly and odd -- I'd prefer dice.

On an impulse I actually tried to buy it, went to the Ares booth ... no starter sets for sale. Since then I realized that I know no one who plays it so save the money for Star Wars games that people do play.

Pretty miniatures, though.

The damage chit is random so it is like dice... The WW II one though has five different types of damage chits so you need quite a few paper bags (not supplied) to draw from.

I like it, have both the WW I and II, all of the card packs they released for II before they converted to minis and jacked the cost out of my price margin at the time. The lack of balancing mechanism is a huge deal. it also got old fast for me. Tried to switch things up with bombers and scenarios, but they never balanced...

Still fun once and a while.

If it's some historical scenario-based fun you're after then I think it's worth seeking out what you can pick up cheaply second hand. The format of the game arguably doesn't offer the same level of ongoing engagement/attraction and repeat fun that X-Wing has.

There are scablable difficulty levels/advanced rules that offer you an arcade like experience or introduce issues like altitude difference, but they aren't overly complex.

As an alternate view, I actually really like the chit pull damage system as it is blind. You're opponent doesn't know how many more hits they have to inflict to take you down.

I have and play both the WW1 and WW2 versions of the game. The WW2 WOG with all the optional rules is an excellent dog fight simulator. There are optional rules at the Aerodrome website (dive and climb on all maneuver cards, energy and cannon rules) that add a ton of realism and are easy to play with.

Both WOG games are better at portraying aerial combat than X-Wing. Both games have a simple and workable system for altitude. Bumping does not exist, but mid air crashes are possible if both aircraft are at the same height and same place. There is no point system for the aircraft. We use the aircraft service dates to determine what would be in the air at the same time. Games that match weaker aircraft against better ones are the norm. We usually play each game twice and switch sides. If you like X-Wing you will most likely enjoy WOG.

That said the gaming community is small and if you cannot get your X-Wing buds into it you may have no one to play against. 

Disclaimer....I play and enjoy X-Wing, WOG WW1, WOG WW2. I am very lucky in that my wife enjoys all three, and we have many friends that play all three games also.  The above endorsement is not intended to shed a negative light on X-Wing.