Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abaath

Monster Encounter Question

5 posts in this topic

On page 14 of the rules book (base game) it says "Sometimes monsters appear as the result of a location or gate encounter.  ................However, these monsters never remain on the board after the encounter is resolved.  Return to cup."

So, I get the part about location monster encounters but I have no idea what a monster gate encounter is.   I hope I haven't been missing anything with this.   I know you have Other World encounters and monsters can appear there but what is a gate encounter?   

It's just an encounter with a monster in one of the Other World locations that are accessed via the gates.

Example: Investigator X has entered a gate to R'lyeh. During the Other World encounter phase a card is drawn that says Monster Y appears. If the investigator evades the monster it is immediately returned to the cup. Likewise if the investigator fights the monster and is defeated by it, then monster is returned to the cup. Of course if the investigator defeats the monster, then the monster can be claimed as a trophy.

Julia and Facsantos like this

Nope. Areas are both streets and locations, but locations are locations, and streets are streets. There are no encounters to be resolved in the streets, unless you're resolving a gate in the streets (only possible case: moving gates coming with the Lurker expansion).

So, in the game there are no effects asking you to resolve an encounter in a street area that could result in a monster appearing (and then being removed)