Bluebird79

Expansions: what i would like FFG to make

First of all got this for xmas and its a fantastic game, superb atmosphere and clever design. So i got thinking about possible expansions and came up with the following:

1) Miskatonic University - strange happenings in the halls of MU.

2) Mountains of Madness - a whole campaign exploring the mysterious city of the shoggoths.

3) Dreamlands - unlimited possibilities here.

4) Dunwich - easily done, create some tiles with ramshackle houses and barns then throw in some ancient evil.

5) Some sort of egyptian themed exoansion, maybe based on the story under the pyramids.

There is masses of potential for expansions for this game so will be interesting as to how it developes in the coming years.

Any of those suggestions would be great to see. Really anything that takes us away from the core set, rather than just more of the same (though understandably only really possible with a big box expansion).

Campaign mode, along with items/relics as rewards that can be used across scenarios, or maybe character abilities would be good to see as well.

I'd also love to see a campaign mode for Mansions, even if my real desire is not for Mountains of Madness, but for something a la Masks of Nyarlathotep or Horror on the Orient Express. In any case, bring those in!

This would be excellent!

OP's original suggestions are all good, especially the MU one. 

I never played much of the CoC LCG as it never really clicked with me (it was a good game but I played it after Netrunner which I much preferred), but I remember one of the expansions had art work detailing some kind of masquerade ball in Venice with deep ones swimming in the canals. I'd love to see some tiles and scenarios covering this.

On 12/31/2016 at 0:50 PM, Bluebird79 said:

4) Dunwich - easily done, create some tiles with ramshackle houses and barns then throw in some ancient evil.

I am not opposed to more Dunwhich content, but for the record the Suppressed Memories expansion gives you some Dunwich love and you already have the tiles and characters. 

Yeah, I think the only city missing is Kingsport right now, correct? Innsmouth we've gotten in the core set, and Dunwich in the Suppressed Memories collection

In the sense of mythical new england locations, there's quite a few more, although, you can synthesize many of them from existing tiles. There's even places that list doesn't cover, like the blasted heath (which would look unique since it's withering badlands). 

Some of the previously visited locations have unused sub-locations. Innsmouth, for example, has the masonic-like esoteric order of dagon which whose building is a repurposed church, and there's a disused railway station. There's plenty of bridges over the manuxet river. Inside the other major regions, there's more to explore. Some can use old parts, some could use new. 

Arkham:
The miscatonic university, + campus
Christchurch cemetery (correct me if that's where's dearly departed is)
Orne Library

Ipswitch (not mythical in itself):
The historical society (from shadows over Innsmouth)

I don't know enough about Kingsport.
Congregational Hospital was built on a razed church. 
There were witch trials, so maybe a witch house theme?

New York (--||--):
Sewers, and Church turned dance hall; a smoke screen for a child-abducting sect. Though, the original source material was more or less a long racial hate speech disguised as a detective story, so it's icky to touch. 

I think there's mention of made-up locations in boston and providence, too. 

I don't remember where, but there's also asylums, underground networks connected to metro stations, quite a few witch houses, and a wax museum, aswell as a few non-american locations.  I've only read  ~20% of all HPL stories, so i'm probably missing a lot of material to base tiles and scenarios on. 

All that aside, i hope to see more use of the current tile sets in the form of DLC:s. 

Edited by Aelitafrommars

49 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Honestly, something with rules that let's me play without needing the app and/or lets me use the new stuff with the 1st edition game.

Why not just use your first edition game, take the new stuff and then make your own scenarios from scratch or that use the new plot lines verbatim. I've seen people use the first edition to make custom scenarios before.

I've always gotten the feel that the 2nd edition is more there to eliminate the need for a keeper and make it much more of a co-op game.

Well I would prefer something that stays in the theme of "mansions" since Eldritch horror already bring something more exotic.

Others have suggested ideas for an asylum, library or museum settings, I think that a campaign linking all three would be great !

Museum, or perhaps some sort of research facility? Perhaps a collector who has a trapped or frozen Elder Thing somewhere? Scenarios could deal with other Elder Things coming to rescue the trapped ones, or some other theme where the Investigators find themselves right in the middle of a Elder Things/Cthulhu conflict? Or maybe the Investigators join/become embroiled in a Cthulhu cult, and have to survive an attack by Elder Things trying to stop the cultist?

It would be cool with some Elder Things models, those five-winged tentacled half-vegetables are one of Lovecraft's most original creatures in my mind. Bit tricky to cast though, due to the 5-radial symmetry of their main bodies, so perhaps expensive to produce?

Edited by totgeboren

I have just started playing and I'm obsessed. My wife is going to murder me since I've been painting minis non stop for three weeks and building custom boxes for the game. After playing and winning a few scenarios, I feel like the only thing lacking for me is a sense of continuity between games. I feel attached to the investigators and want it to feel as though each scenario takes place within a linear progression to some extent. So when I put time in and I am successful, I am rewarded and benefit the next time I play. I think an expansion simply called "monster loot" or something a little more suave, containing 100 or so completely new cards. Each card would be a pretty potent item that would drop only from end bosses or from insanely difficult processes in the game. You would be instructed to draw a random loot card after winning. You could then type the name of the card or number or some other easy system into a new app interface and it would enter your "artifact cabinet". Then when you start a new game, you have the option to grab an item from that cabinet for that game to assign to an investigator of your choice. I think this would really add to the attachment you develop towards the investigators and thier story.

You could even add effects that somehow last between games. Like if an investigator was under a spell of some sort either beneficial or not, it would have a timer in the app. (You must play within seven days to utilize this spell). Anything that rewards you more for winning and makes it feel like the game never truly ends. It also would add even more incentive to replay scenarios in order to collect new artifacts.

Scenarios, many more scenarios. I don't find these scenarios  at all replayable which means I want a bunch more than 4 to justify a $100 game. Same for the expansions, I need content to justify getting them. That said the one dnc that's out I haven't bothered buying because even the "short" easy scenario was long and hard for us. I'm looking for more scenarios about like it.

I haven't played all the scenarios yet, but I don't believe there is a scenario from the popular story "The Colour out of Space."  Maybe add a few tiles showing the crater and some farm houses and you are set.  

Honestly, I'd take anything, but I think FFG is missing the mark in a big way with their product releases in both Star Wars & Arkham Horror product lines.

They need to take a page from Wizards of the Coast's book and create "themes" around which they provide their releases across the product lines.  In Arkham Horror, why aren't ALL the games doing something with Dunwich Horror at this point?  That's the cycle in the Card Game, do something for MOM2E, AH Core has this already, but perhaps do a 2nd Edition of it that includes miniatures or a new Ancient One?  In that way, you unify the art buys, layout, mythos research and background, and can use your teams to cross-develop and pollinate the best concepts and ideas for all your Arkham products...

5 hours ago, Gamesontables said:

Honestly, I'd take anything, but I think FFG is missing the mark in a big way with their product releases in both Star Wars & Arkham Horror product lines.

They need to take a page from Wizards of the Coast's book and create "themes" around which they provide their releases across the product lines.  In Arkham Horror, why aren't ALL the games doing something with Dunwich Horror at this point?  That's the cycle in the Card Game, do something for MOM2E, AH Core has this already, but perhaps do a 2nd Edition of it that includes miniatures or a new Ancient One?  In that way, you unify the art buys, layout, mythos research and background, and can use your teams to cross-develop and pollinate the best concepts and ideas for all your Arkham products...

The simple answer could be that there's no point, as right now AH:LCG may be the only "active" Arkham Files game left.

Arkham Horror is obviously done, until someday when we may see a 2nd edition (which I think is unlikely as long as the LCG remains such a strong seller).

Elder Sign has now finished off the core 48 investigators, and Eldritch Horror will be reaching the same point by month's end.  It's certainly possible that they could add new investigators or include the new ones introduced in MoM2E (and the new one coming up in AH:LCG)... or they simply release more expansions without new investigators.  However, it also seems like a nice spot to "finish" both games.  I wouldn't be happy about that, since EH is still my favorite game... but it wouldn't be a tragedy, as we certainly have a fair amount of content for it.

I'm at the point where I think MoM2E is basically dead as well.  No new content or announced content for over 6 months for a game that was built to NEED a steady stream of new scenarios to keep people interested feels like FFG has given up to me.  My plan right now is to play a few of the scenarios a couple more times each, and then to sell the game off to clear up some space in my collection.

Edited by KBlumhardt

4 hours ago, Gamesontables said:

There's a team of people developing the Arkham IP, as clearly stated in many of the rulebooks of the most recent games, and curious thing, people involved in this team are the creators of the AH LCG, Mansions of Madness 2nd edition, and so on. So, they know what they are doing, and they are working together on the same IP. The fact that game 1 goes to Dunwich and game 2 and 3 don't, means only that they want to grant the greatest possible variety to the public.

I personally would find pretty boring if all the AH files games would have an expansion with the same setting coming out at the same time. I'd think they are lazy, and are trying to sell us the same game, just with a rules twist to make it compatible with the different systems. I'm pretty excited to have the LCG going to Carcosa, while for Eldritch is coming Shudde M'ell

And in any case, since you were talking Dunwich, we have a MoM scenario set on Sentinel Hill

On 6/19/2017 at 3:17 PM, KBlumhardt said:

I'm at the point where I think MoM2E is basically dead as well.  No new content or announced content for over 6 months for a game that was built to NEED a steady stream of new scenarios to keep people interested feels like FFG has given up to me.  My plan right now is to play a few of the scenarios a couple more times each, and then to sell the game off to clear up some space in my collection.

Heard somewhere else that they were hiring more digital experts. Also, the game is in BGG's top 20, so it would be a really bad idea to throw out such a game.

My guess is that their digital team is spread out very thin, and since this game requires digital content, the releases are spread far apart.

I'm more optimistic and hope a big box expansion is on the way (a ~$50 one). It would be better to base predictions on previous Arkham board games, like AH and EH. Those games introduce a little bit of everything and a big new mechanic in their big boxes, and just a little bit of everything in the small ones. I'd like to see major wounded conditions.

I love how the 'small' beyond the threshold expansion adds to the first scenario. I would like to see most expansions adding a little bit of content to previous scenarios, to slowly but surely add replayability or even twists to the existing content.

So, my wish list is:

-Big box expansion priced at around $50.

-A handful of investigators, monsters and tiles

-A ton of cards

-A brand new, major mechanic: major wound condition or great old one fight, along with a big scary mini. The great old ones could also manifest themselves as an effect to the game rather than a fight.

-More difficulty options for the same scenario: more monsters spawn, you have less time, and what not.

-More alternate endings. If you have more evidence and less people died you could unlock a better ending.

-Cutscenes. Eugene could have his own cutscene, same for meeting Vanderbilt.

If we follow existing content, a small box brings a bit of everything plus about a half to a quarter of the core content (2 investigators, 2 scenarios). The core has 8/4 but is more expensive. A big box could bring 4/3.

Edited by falveryn