Sign in to follow this  
TallonHunteR

Disguising Saber Hilts

so...i was thinking about my Gand Shadow that im going to be playing next week...somehow got into memories of I, Jedi where Elegos uses the fact that Corran's saber hilt looks like a speeder bike grip to mislead people into thinking he was on a drunken rampage on a speederbike that went outta control.

Obviously imps are going to be on the lookout for lightsabers, but as i was going for ammonia breathing Gand... disguising my shotos as a pair of ammonia cylinders in the breathing apparatus would mostly go unnoticed.

Gand breathmask designs seem heavily varied and messing up life sustaining equipment on a potentially valuable prisoner is a no-no even for imps...at least the low ranking ones.

so...thoughts? What schemes have you come up with to hide your lightsaber hilt from prying eyes?

Edited by TallonHunteR

While masking the lightsaber as something else is a good idea, how are the imps going to recognize a random cilinder you have on your belt is actually a weapon? Unless it's gold plated it's not somethign that's extremely noticeiable, and most of them have never seen a lightsaber in their life, if not on some holovids. I doubt they can distinguish it on sight. So i really don't think they are on the lookout for them at all and are very unlikely to recognize one unless it's activated. 

mmmhmmm, i could see that.

i can also see it as an extremely valuable escape tool, even if they strip you naked and throw you in the deepest dankest cell, they are unlikely to rip your breathing apparatus off if they want you alive. so...your means of survival becomes your means of escape :D

While masking the lightsaber as something else is a good idea, how are the imps going to recognize a random cilinder you have on your belt is actually a weapon? Unless it's gold plated it's not somethign that's extremely noticeiable, and most of them have never seen a lightsaber in their life, if not on some holovids. I doubt they can distinguish it on sight. So i really don't think they are on the lookout for them at all and are very unlikely to recognize one unless it's activated. 

They might not recognize it with their eyes, but they might with weapon scanners. Assuming such things do exist--and the hand scanner shows that they could--the familiar components of a lightsaber are likely to be something it looks for. Who knows, maybe there's even a sensor that actively sniffs out kyber crystals (adapted from the mining tools used by the guys that built the Death Star).

I think in most situations a lightsabre is so unwell known that most people won't recognize one when they see it. So I don't think they need to be disguised per se. However, if a player is trying to make their lightsabre hilt something like a part of a Gand's breathing equipment I would require them to make a modification that takes up a hard point in the lightsabre. 

Flux capacitor.

More seriously, based on how 70's sci-fi and SW tech looked, what about saying its a "data cylinder"? Or, a hyperdrive motivator recalibration device? Or, the motivator itself. After all, I'm not sure what a motivator, good or bad, looks like....

the-story-behind-gunnery-sergeant-hartma

In the first season of Star Wars Rebels, Kanan Jarrus usually carried his lightsaber in a partially disassembled state, with the majority of the hilt tucked away on the back of his utility belt and the emitter hanging separately on the front left of said belt.

In the Endless Vigil construction rules, there's a selection that lets you add a setback die to any Perception checks made to identify the 'saber hilt as being a lightsaber when it's not ignited.

As for hiding a 'saber hilt as part of a breathing apparatus, I'd say that's perfectly feasible, and would be worth at least a boost die on Skulduggery checks to conceal it.

Bear in mind that most lightsaber hilts, as Encumbrance 1 objects, don't really require a roll to conceal them (page 160 of FaD core rulebook), and there's no bonus to the searcher's Perception check, though a really good hiding job might incur a setback die or two on that Perception check.

My PC was originally introduced as an NPC when I was GMing, before handing off the GMing to someone else, as a Bounty Hunter.  The rest of the party spotted his force abilities when he used force heal to save another PC, but it wasn't until quite recently when they faced an Inquisitor that he detached the leather bound forgrip from his blaster rifle and revealed it to be a lightsaber.  

I agree that most people wouldn't immediately recognize a lightsaber until its ignited.

That said, some might, and if you want options...

• Technology: One of the books has a "shadowsheath" in it. As I write this, I don't remember which one.
  • The Highlander: Misdirect. Expensive if you want lasting effect, but can be applied to much more than the saber. 
  • Mind Trick: Influence with enough upgrades to do mind trick. "You must be mistaken..." "I must be mistaken...."
  • Hide It: Skullduggery. Wear a grandly flowing cape and tuck it behind your back. Drop it in a "cargo pants" pocket. Slide it into a voluminous sleeve. Wear it on a tool-belt and let it "blend" in plain sight (people tend to see what they want / expect to see.). Options abound.
  • The Luke: Build a saber-launcher into an astromech. Or a Robocop like pop-out thigh compartment into a protocol droid. Or your own cyberleg!
  • Disguise it: Some suggestions already given. The sword-cane one is good. Building it into a walking-stick / staff is also good.

I agree that most people wouldn't immediately recognize a lightsaber until its ignited.

That said, some might, and if you want options...

• Technology: One of the books has a "shadowsheath" in it. As I write this, I don't remember which one.
  • The Highlander: Misdirect. Expensive if you want lasting effect, but can be applied to much more than the saber. 
  • Mind Trick: Influence with enough upgrades to do mind trick. "You must be mistaken..." "I must be mistaken...."
  • Hide It: Skullduggery. Wear a grandly flowing cape and tuck it behind your back. Drop it in a "cargo pants" pocket. Slide it into a voluminous sleeve. Wear it on a tool-belt and let it "blend" in plain sight (people tend to see what they want / expect to see.). Options abound.
  • The Luke: Build a saber-launcher into an astromech. Or a Robocop like pop-out thigh compartment into a protocol droid. Or your own cyberleg!
  • Disguise it: Some suggestions already given. The sword-cane one is good. Building it into a walking-stick / staff is also good.

Shadowsheath is in the FaD core rulebook; but from how it's described it looks like a real sheath that is quite hard to spot rhather than a modification of the hilt to make it less noticeable. But it's viable option.

Disguising it in a cane is good idea, but then someone might be tempted to just build a lightsaber pike disguised as a walking staff. And that only owrks if the charcter is older, a teenager or young adult with a walking stick is gonna stand out more rtaher than less.

Endless Vigil also had the option of making a Lightsaber inbuilt into another item for four advantage on the craft check. This increased the item's encumbrance by that of the lightsaber (usually 1), couldn't be ignited while in use, and took a maneuver to switch between lightsaber and item mode.

For a lightsaber pike walking stick, I don't think it would be very odd for someone younger to use one in Star Wars, more noticeable than an elderly person but not very odd. While not standard, walking sticks become much more common among avid walkers and hikers. Put on a big travelling backpack with that lightsaber walking pipe/stick and you will look out of place in an urban center, but right at home in a lot of Star Wars locations.

Endless Vigil also had the option of making a Lightsaber inbuilt into another item for four advantage on the craft check. This increased the item's encumbrance by that of the lightsaber (usually 1), couldn't be ignited while in use, and took a maneuver to switch between lightsaber and item mode.

For a lightsaber pike walking stick, I don't think it would be very odd for someone younger to use one in Star Wars, more noticeable than an elderly person but not very odd. While not standard, walking sticks become much more common among avid walkers and hikers. Put on a big travelling backpack with that lightsaber walking pipe/stick and you will look out of place in an urban center, but right at home in a lot of Star Wars locations.

You could make it look like a crutch and go full-out Tiny Tim.

You could make it look like a crutch and go full-out Tiny Tim.

hahah i was thinking about that while writing my post but didn't dare suggest it. 

Along these lines, what about having it built into a vibro-weapon? It could be a break-away "extended hilt" on a vibro-sword, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5Doy7MTRY

(mileage may vary on effectiveness post-reveal)

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

I shared it before, but the best disguise for a lightsaber I ever saw was when our (female) Twi'lek had her lightsaber disguised as a sex toy and kept it tucked into her purse. Even when she was searched, nobody bothered to look at it too closely.

Edited by HappyDaze

I shared it before, but the best disguise for a lightsaber I ever saw was when our (female) Twi'lek had her lightsaber disguised as a sex toy and kept it tucked into her purse. Even when she was searched, nobody bothered to look at it too closely.

Dave Chappelle would be proud.  "What's this thing under your pillow, a lightsaber?  Zzzummm zzzzzumm!"

A fleshlightsaber would also be a possibility.  A quick Google search actually leaves me pretty disappointed that it doesn't exist yet (so far as I can tell).

My character hides his saber as a decorated curved drinking flask, with what looks like liquid splashing in part of the handle. He is a Shadow so he deals with scumbags a lot and if one asks him how he got it then he says he won it of a stupid noble...

Trying to drink out of it will result in the line "This drink is too strong for you..." and a lightblade to the face.

I wouldn't mention this as it's more concealment than disguise, but severed limbs seem to be extremely common in my playing experience. My Jedi upgraded his replacement forearm with a Cybernetic Cavity; perfect for a lightsaber both in terms of storage capacity and ability to outfox weapon scanners by hiding a powered device inside a larger powered device. I'm hoping my dismemberment days are over, but at least if I lose another limb I'll have more space for another lightsaber! XD

Edited by Azraiel