IG88E

4x U-wing spam, ridiculous...

Today I played 5 games against 4x U-wing with FCS and I terribly lost all of them. 4 large ship bases are coming to you with possibilites to make stop maneuvers avoiding you to pass their line. These are 32 hull behind 2 agility (compare 2 vcx with same hull but no evade dice). And with fire control system they can use their focus token for defense. It is so hard (and annoying) to get through these shields and hull).

Replacing one FCS with rebel crew such as Jan, Jyn which can buff the injured ship is also just ridiculous. When they come in blocks and FCS, blocking or asteroids are senseless too.

Experiences? Tips?

It is not so easy to get behind them when a block of 2x2 U-wings is flying at you (with a possible zero maneuver). Range 4-5 is completely blocked lost of the time

Pfft if I can stay behind brobots I can stay behind u-wings.
These are hypothetical statements. Just try it out a few times Edited by IG88E

If you have any space whatsoever between the four ships, their block formation will deny all but the 5k turn, which is super rare. With proper spacing, you can create a range 2 by range 2 no-fly zone. Once you get behind then, you stay behind them, but getting there in the first place is the trick.

Edited by Astech

WORLD POLICE

100 points

PILOTS

Omicron Group Pilot (25) x 4

Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Fire-Control System (2), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

eye_sm.png View | upload_sm.png Tweak | export_sm.png Export as XWS

I like this build better with ion cannons and inspiring recruits. You can get shuttles to stop in place for lots of turns and ion the poop out of everything :-) Edited by Cubanboy

WORLD POLICE

100 pointsPILOTSOmicron Group Pilot (25) x 4

Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Fire-Control System (2), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)eye_sm.png View | upload_sm.png Tweak | export_sm.png Export as XWS

I like this build better with ion cannons and inspiring recruits. You can get shuttles to stop in place for lots of turns and ion the poop out of everything :-)
Hmmm Edited by tortugatron

it sounds like anything that deals even a modicum of stress would destroy them fairly easily. Mara Jade or Tactician, Rebel Captive, Stresshog... just stress a few of them in the round and they can't do their stop, or their 180. That should clear your own movement options right up. If you have to, take Ryad for the 5-k to clear them. Or approach at an angle. Or use better tactics in your asteroid deployment, don't make any places where the enemy can have enough space to bring a a phalanx of large based ships through. Or you can always bring Cluster Mines, Proton Bombs, or cheaper stuff like that. Either you use them as intended, or you deploy them in front and force your opponent to elect to fly through them (which is less predictable) or to stop and pivot (which forces them to shed agility and take stress) and you pounce on them.

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)
Determination (1)
Mara Jade (3)
Tactician (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Calculation (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Rexler Brath (37)
Predator (3)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

WORLD POLICE

100 points

PILOTS

Omicron Group Pilot (25) x 4

eye_sm.png View | upload_sm.png Tweak | export_sm.png Export as XWS

I like this build better with ion cannons and inspiring recruits. You can get shuttles to stop in place for lots of turns and ion the poop out of everything :-)

Inspiring Recruit doesn't remove stress to stay multiple turns in a row on your 0 maneuver. It only allows the removal of an extra stress WHEN you remove a stress, so you still gotta do a green.

WORLD POLICE

100 points

PILOTS

Omicron Group Pilot (25) x 4

eye_sm.png View | upload_sm.png Tweak | export_sm.png Export as XWS

I'd gone for

4 x Omicron Group Pilots, FCS, 2 with Tactician, 1 with Intel Agent and for ***** and giggles the other one has Vader, because why not....

Or, (but less ships)

3 x Trandoshan Slavers, Inspiring recruit on all, Maneuvering Fins on all, Outlaw Techs on all and Zuckuss on one... because you can't take Zuckuss 3 times. Yeah the stress management would be rough... but if you only reroll 2 and 1 forward..... 36 hit points behind 1 agility though, but 180 degree fire arc....

Edited by boomaster

Or, (but less ships)

3 x Trandoshan Slavers, Inspiring recruit on all, Maneuvering Fins on all, Outlaw Techs on all and Zuckuss on one... because you can't take Zuckuss 3 times. Yeah the stress management would be rough... but if you only reroll 2 and 1 forward..... 36 hit points behind 1 agility though, but 180 degree fire arc....

The best version of that list is all of them with K4 and Dampeners. Though I suppose nowadays you could switch one out with Dengar and add Zuckuss. Or Heck, even have one do the whole Party Buss thing and the others be K4 and damps.

Or, (but less ships)

The best version of that list is all of them with K4 and Dampeners. Though I suppose nowadays you could switch one out with Dengar and add Zuckuss. Or Heck, even have one do the whole Party Buss thing and the others be K4 and damps.

Nope, the best version that I've seen has K4 on all of them (but you could easily throw Dengar on one if you want) with 1 having Zuckuss, 1 having 4-LOM, and the other having feedback.

Edited by tortugatron

Or, (but less ships)

Nope, the best version that I've seen has K4 on all of them (but you could easily throw Dengar on one if you want) with 1 having Zuckuss, 1 having 4-LOM, and the other having feedback.

1 traditional Party Bus

1 YV with K4, Boba, and Greedo

1 YV with K4

Or, (but less ships)

1 traditional Party Bus

1 YV with K4, Boba, and Greedo

1 YV with K4

I feel like one of these YVs should have Bossk and Gunner on it. Just to really stick it to aces.

If you have any space whatsoever between the four ships, their block formation will deny all but the 5k turn, which is super rare. With proper spacing, you can create a range 2 by range 2 no-fly zone. Once you get behind then, you stay behind them, but getting there in the first place is the trick.

Head on but if I go in at an angle I end up at the side of the formation out of arc and getting shots.

It is not so easy to get behind them when a block of 2x2 U-wings is flying at you (with a possible zero maneuver). Range 4-5 is completely blocked lost of the time

FCS brobots I assume? It's difficult to do that against a good advanced sensor brobot player. In the days when 4 unmodified red dice was actually good, that list was a good match against imperial aces.

Four bases is considerably different to pass through than two brobots as it takes up much more space and it's something people don't really appreciate unless they were playing long ago and remember Lambda shuttle spam. Two Adv Sensor brobots will probably try to bump each other to park in front of you, thus it's only half the depth of a lambda diamond.

Edited by moppers

blocking or asteroids are senseless too.

Are you kidding with the asteroids?

Let me rant and scold you like every random guy on the internet is inherently entitled to!

Sure, I've seen some supposedly high-level games, where the players seemed to have some kind of mutual agreement to set all the roids onto one side, so that they can go for mindless joust while the actual game was just rolling the dice and checking the card combos to see who gets the most modifiers... But why should you too?

Jeez, 4 large base ship trying to keep some kind of formation is hell of a task even with minimum obstacles on the way. 

Let's assume your opponent takes 3 smallest rocks possible, and tries to dump them into a tight cluster. You can always pick the 3 largest ones and block out large area of the map anyway. Place them in 1.5-2 range of each other, so that he can't squeeze any of his in-between (freeing space somewhere else), stagger them vertically to mess up his measurements.

Remember that U-wings only have 2-speed turns, so it's fairly easy to predict where they're going. Make him think you're committing to certain direction, then bail out. He won't have an easy time changing his course. You can just as well try flanking with one ship, or splitting out entirely. First exchange will likely be crucial, and it's in your very interest to delay it for as long as possible. Cue simple tip on range control - they can do a full stop, but hard 1 followed by barrel roll can take your ships slightly backwards, range-wise. Unlike U's. you don't end up stressed, and are free to pick any maneuver for the next turn. Either engaging, or getting the hell out to token up - and watch him suffer as he's taking range 3/obstructed shots with FCS not yet kicking in, while falling into the deathtrap of 4 large bases traffic jam amidst asteroid field, lol.

I could pretend I can feel your pain, but it's really not that scary compared to facing 3 ships with 4 fully modded dice attacks, PWTs, white sloops, barrel rolls, you know the story. ;)

Edited by Mef82