Sign in to follow this  
bull30548

How many Force Powers is too many?

I am just curious after watching through the seven movies it doesn't seem like the Jedi and even the Sith did not develop that many individual powers.  I count on average between 1-4 powers for the heroes and villains in the movies.  Now I am not looking to limit players but is there a limit? Should there be?

I mean I get the players aren't Jedi but the Jedi were raised from birth learning the Force; developing their abilities.  This was years of their lives to get as good as Obi-Wan or Anakin in the ways of the Force. However, we are talking about characters that at best had limited instruction and usually none at all.  I am just wondering if there should be a limit or line? 

I am just curious after watching through the seven movies it doesn't seem like the Jedi and even the Sith did not develop that many individual powers.  I count on average between 1-4 powers for the heroes and villains in the movies.  Now I am not looking to limit players but is there a limit? Should there be?

I mean I get the players aren't Jedi but the Jedi were raised from birth learning the Force; developing their abilities.  This was years of their lives to get as good as Obi-Wan or Anakin in the ways of the Force. However, we are talking about characters that at best had limited instruction and usually none at all.  I am just wondering if there should be a limit or line? 

The practical limitation on Force powers is XP; there is never, ever enough XP to get everything you want. Without Force Rating increases, lots of Force Powers won't be very effective. Further, some force powers aren't necessarily suited to every character. Taking the Heal tree may not be the best use of XP for a character with an INT of 1 for example.

Game designers often do things script-writers don't. Some "force powers" are broken up for balance rather than definition purposes. A good example is Bind and Move. Both are just effects of telekinesis. One could argue force leap is really TK enhanced leapiness, too. I consider sense, foresee, and seek are all interrelated effects as well. You might also argue that heal/harm and protect/unleash are related on some level. That said, Luke in ROTJ probably had force leap (as a maneuver), sense (basic), foresee (basic), bind (basic), influence (two upgrades for mind trick), and a modest investment in move. So... five powers, but only two with upgrades. That and some impressive reflect for his saber-fu. 

Edited by Vondy

Our most Force-focused character has ten power trees that are mostly filled, at the expense of pretty much everything else, at a bit under 3000 XP.

(Feels wrong to be discussing stuff like this after Carrie, but  reading the boards makes me feel less depressed) 

Also Vondy... I know nobody can 'copyright' a Forum avatar, but I can't be the only person who looked at your post and thought 'that doesn't sound like Desslok'...

Lets see Luke had

Enhance

Move

Sense

Foresee

Protect

Influence

Annakin had

Enhance

Move

Sense

Bind

Influence

Obi Wan had

Enhance

Move

Misdirect

Sense

Influence

Become Force Ghost

Most Force Users develop as part of basic training these powers to varying degrees.

Enhance

Move

Influence

Sense

Lets see Luke had

Enhance

Move

Sense

Foresee

Protect

Influence

Annakin had

Enhance

Move

Sense

Bind

Influence

Obi Wan had

Enhance

Move

Misdirect

Sense

Influence

Become Force Ghost

Most Force Users develop as part of basic training these powers to varying degrees.

Enhance

Move

Influence

Sense

Anakin also had Foresee. It was his Force visions of the future which were ultimately a contributing cause for is fall to the dark Side. 

Lets see Luke had

Enhance

Move

Sense

Foresee

Protect

Influence

Annakin had

Enhance

Move

Sense

Bind

Influence

Obi Wan had

Enhance

Move

Misdirect

Sense

Influence

Become Force Ghost

Enhance

Move

Influence

Sense

For Luke I would drop protect and add bind, but other than that I agree with your parameterization of original trilogy luke, I haven't thought much about the others but I most definitely DO agree with your conclusion about the core 4 powers.

Also Vondy... I know nobody can 'copyright' a Forum avatar, but I can't be the only person who looked at your post and thought 'that doesn't sound like Desslok'...

I tired of being a member of the forum's Han-based Clone Army. Not very Solo.

Is this Forum big enough for two penguins??

I'm a fan of personalized avatars, but I do understand the pitfalls FFG is seeking to avoid by having them all be "stock." Alas, this means multiples, penguins and otherwise, will abound.

I mean I get the players aren't Jedi but the Jedi were raised from birth learning the Force; developing their abilities. This was years of their lives to get as good as Obi-Wan or Anakin in the ways of the Force. However, we are talking about characters that at best had limited instruction and usually none at all. I am just wondering if there should be a limit or line?

While characters like Anakin spent years working at it under training, this may have worked against them as much as it helped given the extreme traditionalism and inflexibility of the order by that point. F&D characters don't have the guidance but they also don't have the constraints.

My short answer is "No and no". My long answer is "No and no, but pace yourself. Most Force powers require a force rating of a couple of points higher than their minimum requirement before mastering them is worthwhile."

Edited by Azraiel

The thing you have to remember, is that the movies are going to utilize powers that are one of two things:

1. Visually impressive

2. Necessary for the plot.

Or both combined.

They don't care about the plethora of other powers that have been invented by the EU and games and stuff, because most of those don't translate well to the big screen, or are so odd and esoteric that they don't really matter.  So the fact that movie/tv jedi only show a handful of powers is simply an artifact of the storytelling medium being visual in nature, and being very limited in it's run time.

So don't worry about what seems to be a limitation based on the movies, and let your players buy as many as they like.  

Edited by KungFuFerret

In the campaign i was running one of the party members was a Sathari Mystic with his primary goal to master the force (but in a more spiritual way in comparison to the consular). He got the basic level of as many force abilities as he could (picking mentor got the party a discount on the XP cost).

Would just like to further point out that Dez/future-Darth Bane - as an untrained and unaware-of-the-Force miner, the very type of "character" the PCs in an F&D game are - had Foresee, Sense, Enhance (w/ upgrades), Influence, AND Harm ... granted he was one of the most powerful Dark Side Force users, if not Force users-period, of all time but... 5 basic powers, and arguably a number of those with upgrades.

In the words of Bruce Lee, "I do not fear the Jedi who has 10,000 powers, but the Jedi who has practiced one force power 10,000 times." Of course, Lee did not use the words "Jedi" or "force power", but "kick." My point is, let us concentrate on the creative use of the powers we have, before attempting to add another notch in our lightsaber hilt.

Since we are creating someone new and unique to the Star Wars universe, let us cherish and nurture his or her being throughout their whole lifetime. Creation is the highest accomplishment a human being can strive for, whether it is writing a story, painting the Sistine Chapel or thinking our way through an RPG. 

One of the beautiful advantages of the FFG system, is a detailed description of the universe, but a built in keyhole for bending (or breaking) it. If you play like I do, then the story and the characters are the most important aspect of our game.

There is only one rule: "Love your game, love your teammates and love your story."

https://www.facebook.com/susan.white.54