Sign in to follow this  
shosuko

Turn order

What do you guys think about the turn order in this game? In other games the first player rotates, out has some mechanic of change. In this game it's fixed to a single player.

I get the thematic reasons, but i find this extremely limiting tactically.

Is anyone rotating first player regardless of rules? Is anyone else finding this limiting?

Lead Investigator does not mean First Player.

From the rules reference, under timing, specifically part 2.2 in Investigator phase:

The investigators may take their turns in any order. The investigators choose among themselves who (among the investigators) will take this turn, and making this choice begins that investigator's turn. The investigator taking his or her turn is known as the "active investigator."

and for completion's sake, the definition of Lead Investigator, also from the Rules Reference:

Lead Investigator
The lead investigator is sometimes required to make important scenario decisions. At the beginning of a scenario, the investigators choose a lead investigator. If they cannot agree on a choice, a lead investigator is chosen at random.
-If there are ever multiple valid options for a choice or decision that must be made (for example, a hunter enemy that could move in two different directions), the lead investigator is the final arbiter in choosing among those options.
-If the lead investigator is eliminated, the remaining players (if any) choose a new lead investigator.

The only time the Lead Investigator means first player is for draw order from the encounter deck in the Mythos Phase. You always draw Lead Investigator first, then clockwise around the table.

The only time the Lead Investigator means first player is for draw order from the encounter deck in the Mythos Phase. You always draw Lead Investigator first, then clockwise around the table.

That is incorrect.  There are three times "In player order" is required according to the rules reference.

1. Mythos Phase 1.4

2. Monster Phase 3.3

3. Upkeep Phase 4.4

That is incorrect.  There are three times "In player order" is required according to the rules reference.

1. Mythos Phase 1.4

2. Monster Phase 3.3

3. Upkeep Phase 4.4

A good catch! Thank you.

I'll note that none of the other ones particularly changes the game state as much as not following player order when dealing encounter cards. Monsters can in general be fought in any order/ and players drawing new cards and getting resources has practically zero interaction applications. Especially for the upkeep, if people drew out of order, I don't think that is a board state disturbance that would have changed most games -- largely, just be aware of the rule, and follow it if you think hijinks will ensue.

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I forgot that - I think we may have made things a bit easier when we played Carnevale. Marie was in that game, so there was lots of Scrying going on and I'm not sure we always had the Lead draw encounters first.

Edited by jaqenZann

1. Mythos Phase 1.4

2. Monster Phase 3.3

3. Upkeep Phase 4.4

A good catch! Thank you.

I'll note that none of the other ones particularly changes the game state as much as not following player order when dealing encounter cards. Monsters can in general be fought in any order/ and players drawing new cards and getting resources has practically zero interaction applications. Especially for the upkeep, if people drew out of order, I don't think that is a board state disturbance that would have changed most games -- largely, just be aware of the rule, and follow it if you think hijinks will ensue.

I agree.  I am trying to follow the turn order and player actions specifically because, in the future we are not sure how new cards will impact the player action windows.  I expect and hope this game continues to grow and expand the card actions and possibilities.