Sign in to follow this  
DangerShine Designs

Getting a custom mat printed

Ahoy hoy,

I already posted about this in the Painting & Modification thread so, apologies in advance for cross posting but believe there is a wider audience on this board - I'm looking to get a custom mat made and have found a few places online that will do it (here, for example) but Google lacks context so I was hoping someone might have either some recommendations or warnings that they have discovered along they way.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!

I got a mat printed (for another game that uses a 3x3 play area )by Pixart printing. It was quick, cheap, and the mat looks nice. I paid the extra fee to have a human verify the art file before printing. I think I paid around $20 including shipping. I'm probably going to have them print up a bunch of Imperial Assault maps for me soon.

I had them print a PVC banner for me.

https://www.pixartprinting.com/signage/banners-mesh/pvc-banner/

Thank you all - InkedGaming was actually where I was leaning after reading some reviews.  They seem a little pricey ($60) but I very much like their "30 day, no questions asked" returns policy. If it turns out like I want, I have no problem paying their prices but it's nice to know I am not stuck with something that didn't turn out like I was hoping.

And I saw a great deal on a vinyl banner but I have a vinly covering on my gaming table and it's awesome for what it is, but would prefer to play on neoprene.

I ordered mine from here http://www.inkedgaming.com/

Quality is equal to the FFG mats. They put out large coupons several times a year and that really helps with the expense.

Do you know if they do double sided? The wall tapestry looks perfect for hotac But I need to print the top down and bottom up view of a star destroyer.

Not that I am aware of. 

ngc2237_400.jpg

I got this image off of an astrological site and it turned out amazing for a play mat. You do need to make sure with Inked that your image is very high resolution. I had to make some minor adjustments to mine.

I got a mat printed (for another game that uses a 3x3 play area )by Pixart printing. It was quick, cheap, and the mat looks nice. I paid the extra fee to have a human verify the art file before printing. I think I paid around $20 including shipping. I'm probably going to have them print up a bunch of Imperial Assault maps for me soon.

I had them print a PVC banner for me.

https://www.pixartprinting.com/signage/banners-mesh/pvc-banner/

Do they ship worldwide? Cause i cannot find info about it, and they got a promo now - with file check its only 14$ .

I already posted about this 

Great Death Star pattern !

Do you think that is possible to find a DXF pattern ?

I like to test it on a wood grey panel with a laser cutting machine.

What do you think about this first attempt ?

28552yOl.png

Image that on wood, paint in grey 180 x 90 cm ....

28552yOl.png

I try to vectorize the image with InkScape,

after a bit of processing to lose detail with Gimp....

(but I'm not very good with these activities....).

OU9wzgsl.jpg

Have a look at a sample on 4mm wood: 8 x 72 cm lasercut at low power:

cYm7qfWl.jpg

Turrets are 3D printed (6 hours each !) many thanks to crashprone for the nice work.

cx4J87Ul.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the vectorialization..... 

The color in the photos appear lighter, but the wood is paint in (maybe too light) grey.

qIKuqRLl.jpg

I have the doubt for the size of the trench.... 8cm maybe is not enough.

Any suggestion will be precious !

Timithius,

Can you point us to the Battlefront image of Scarif shield gate that you used for you playmat?

Sure! It's from this article http://www.gamesoul.it/star-wars-battlefront/star-wars-battlefront-rogue-one-scarif-dlc-recensione/

It has to be cropped a bit. But it think it will look pretty slick

I already posted about this 

Great Death Star pattern !

Do you think that is possible to find a DXF pattern ?

I like to test it on a wood grey panel with a laser cutting machine.

28552yOl.png

This is truly amazing.  I built a couple of small cardboard prototypes and realized after the first that I wanted to have the trench to one side (to give more room on the approach to the trench for fighting), which is why the mat I linked above wouldn't work for the rules I've sketched out.

2016-12-22%2022.55.46_zpsurbinz9r.jpg

My initial thought was to build a raised cardboard table to play on (to give a trench like you pictured above) but thought that for ease of play/storage/transport, a mat might work better.  Now I'm rethinking.  Again!