Sign in to follow this  
tpm1ca

More IA minis that we can use in the RPGs? Please?

Hi all:

I'm new to the FFG Star Wars RPG universe. I'm loving it so far.

I've purchased a bunch of the Imperial Assault minis for use with the RPGs.

I'd love to see more IA minis produced - including the Imperial speeder bikes, some basic non-combat transportation (land speeders, for example) a greater variety of 'droids, and more figures that I could use as player characters in the RPGs. Perhaps some misc. Rebel allies, along the lines of the saboteurs?

That's my wish list - what's yours?

- Trevor

There's a fair amount of resistance on these boards for using minis in your RPG games. You'll likely get more hits if you post this in the IA forum.

Given that everything in the IA game has to fulfill a role in the campaign and skirmish games, I don't think it too likely we'll see non-combat vehicles and such.

If you want to stray outside of the "official" miniatures, there's plenty of sci-fi skirmish games and companies that produce miniatures for them. Admittedly most are human or near human so finding miniatures to represent some of the unique non-human species can be difficult. If you're adept with greenstuff you can easily modify something close to what you need. Such as turning a ponytail into a twi'lek's lekku.

Personally I'm using miniatures from IA, Infinity, Warzone, Beyond the Gates of Antares and a few others to represent my group's characters. We only use them as a visual reference but they're nice to have. (Once I finish painting the whole crew I intend to post pics)

And if you're rolling in $ and feel the need you can always design your own custom built ones over at hero's forge.

There's a fair amount of resistance on these boards for using minis in your RPG games. You'll likely get more hits if you post this in the IA forum.

Given that everything in the IA game has to fulfill a role in the campaign and skirmish games, I don't think it too likely we'll see non-combat vehicles and such.

I don't think there is too much resistance to using the minis, just the tiles where the squares don't really fit the RPG mechanics.

And if you're rolling in $ and feel the need you can always design your own custom built ones over at hero's forge.

Hmm. Only one type of droid, eh? ;)

Yeah, their Sci Fi selection is still somewhat limited. Still, you can do some pretty fun stuff with what's there. Now if only they were cheaper

Edited by warchild1x

Their prices aren't too bad. For similarly detailed pieces from Shapeways, you'll usually pay almost as much for something that you didn't design. 

If you are willing to include non-canon stuff, Antenociti's Workshop (UK) has a great line of near-future scenery that works great. This includes vehicles, info terminals, stuff that wargamers call "scatter terrain" like park benches, vending machines, trashcans/dustbins, etc. Here in the US, they're available through Warsenal - who also sells buildings, bunkers, and MDF scenery. As warchild1x mentioned, there are several miniature wargames out there with a future or near-future theme which will stand in fairly well. Even some Warhammer & 40K stuff will work if you're willing to spend a few day filing off all of the skulls.

Edited by SFC Snuffy