Sign in to follow this  
MenaceNsobriety

Opinions on the U-wing

As the add-ons unfold for the the UT-60D U-Wing, I hope they keep them true to the aircraft that inspired it - the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter.  The Blackhawk is the finest multi-role helicopter around.  It's a troop carrier (up to eleven) and close-support gunship (mini-gun, rockets, etc).  And that seems to be the role of the U-Wing is doing in Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPzz9oVv4s

-_-

I will try it as cheap flip-flop gunship later this year (Hera, Chopper, FCS) and next year as bomber with Sabine. I will miss SLAM, but flip/stop and drop with Chopper will be fun enough to compensate. I also hope the extra green die will make for a slightly more durable Sabine platform.

Bomber U-wing does look like fun.

Only had a couple casual games so far, but it did pretty well for me. I agree we don't have the killer Rebel crew that works like Palpatine, but it can be fun. My list was

Blue Squad + Tactical Jammer + FCS + Hera + Jyn

Biggs + R2D2 + Integrated Astromech

Hero Poe + PTL + AT + BB8 + Black 1 + Primed Thrusters

In at least one game the tac jammer and Jyn definitely kept Biggs alive another turn, maybe two, and it got a few good shots. Probably not a great list, but it worked pretty well. I kind of appreciate that you have to plan ahead to take the wings in if you want to flip around, so choosing the right time for that is one of the biggest challenges. In game two I didn't do it soon enough and hand to take a detour around a rock to get back in the fight.

I've also thought about using a stripped down Cassian with Tac Jammer and Enhanced Scopes in this build, though that loses a lot of other things in order to help Poe out with stress.

Here is my D.O.P.E. from a game I played.

Here was my build

VCX Lothan Rebel

Jyn, Rey, Dorsal Turret

A-Wing Green Squadron

A-Wing Test pilot, Snap Shot, PTL, Chardaan, Stealth Device

U-Wing Bodi Rook

FCS, Lando, 3PO, pivot wing

The text is choppy as this is literally my notes and not a presentation.

D.O.P.E. Played against John. He had a The Dutchess in a TIE Striker, The Inquisitor, Dark Curse, and Kir Kanos in a Royal Interceptor. John had his ships flying in a duel formation. The inquisitor and Dark curse to the right, Dutchess and Kir Kanos on the Left. I set up with the VCX 100 on the far left while facing Right. I set the U wing in the Center and A wing to the right. I moved the VCX a 1 turn to the left. Moved the U wing 4 straight. Moved the A wing 5 straight. The U wing engaged the Inquisitor on the first round. One hit to the shields. Took one hit in return from Dark curse. Second round I blocked the inquisitor and Dark curse both. The A wing boosted in from the right at. 90 degree and got a snap shot hit on Dark curse. Took another shield from the inquisitor. The VCX and Interceptor exchanged fire. Interceptor took 2, VCX took 4 from the interceptor and Striker combined. New round. I stop turned the U wing. John K turned his inquisitor and Dark Curse. Fire Exchanged One hit to U wing, no hits to his ships. The a-wing took a 5 straight to pursue the Striker and Interceptor formation. John was able to Arc dodge with the Striker and it looked like it might be on an intercept course for the U wing in 2 rounds. The A wing made a Range 3 shot on the Interceptor. The VCX pulled up Range one on the Interceptor. 5 attack dice sent that Interceptor back to John's box. The Inquisitor and Dark Curse flew Straight to avoid asteroids. The Striker K turned to pursue the VCX. A-Wing maneuvered to pursue the Striker. U wing was committed to a turn instead of a Stop to regroup. The VCX had 2 Focus' banked on Rey. They would be used when I chased the Inquisitor and Dark Curse to the edge of the board and dropped both of them. The Striker was taking free shots on The VCX. All shields gone and 3 face down damage in no time. The A-wing finished off the Striker.

Not a bad list. I didn't feel that I got to use the Uwing to its full potential. But it did well to block and stop when I needed. Lando and 3po were used once each successfully.

The Turret was not used on the VCX. I could have shot the pursuing Striker, but 4 out the front was better than 2 out the back. Jyn was used twice for two Focus each. Rey banked 2 and both were used to affect.

A-Wing never got shot at and performed well.

Edited by Darth Vilgore

Played 3 casual games tonight running two blue sqdn pathfinders and Corran Horn. Lost the first two(badly) to a striker decimator+palpatine build. The strikers are a little squirrelly trying to predict that move before maneuver routine.

The third game was against Omega Leader, Backdraft and two Strikers. We called this one due to time. I had a full health Horn vs OL and Backdraft each with one hull left.

Things I learned tonight.

I hate dice of any color.

FFG dice has turned me against Christmas colors of red and green.

I need a lot more practice with the U-Wing and Corran.

The zero speed k turn isn't worth losing the extra green die. It telegraphs itself loudly.

Maneuvers better than the Lambda.

Needs a crew to boost effectiveness.

Decent blocker.

Fly at least 4 ships!

I've played 4 games so far using the U-Wing. I enjoy flying it more than I thought I would. Although I think I'm gonna try to find a way to tweak it a bit more because my current build is Blue Pathfinder w/ FCS, Jan, Jyn, and Title. Throughout those 4 games, I maybe was able to use Jyn 3 times. Might switch to Rey and have it be more self sufficient instead. 

The full squad build was this:

Blue Pathfinder: FCS, Jan, Jyn, Pivot Wing

Jake Farrell: VI, PTL, Autothrusters, AWTP, Proton Rockets (which I was able to get off every game very effectively, definitely enjoyed Jake these games too)

Poe Dameron: Adaptability, R5-P9, Autothrusters, Sensor Cluster. 

I think I'm gonna give Jyn a bit more time, but try to fit Heff Tobber in as the pilot which should allow more opportunities for Jyn crew, especially after all the blocking I already was able to do with the Blue Pathfinder in my first 4 games. 

Here is my D.O.P.E. from a game I played.

Here was my build

VCX Lothan Rebel

Jyn, Rey, Dorsal Turret

A-Wing Green Squadron

A-Wing Test pilot, Snap Shot, PTL, Chardaan, Stealth Device

U-Wing Bodi Rook

FCS, Lando, 3PO, pivot wing

Congrats on having a Rebel list sans Biggs....well played!

I've also found that the U doesn't need Biggs

unlike the ARC, it's

-pretty fast

-pretty fat (can't shoot it if you're in b2b, zeb excluded but if zeb then Biggs)

-2 agility with focus is a vast improvement over 1 agility and generally no focus

it is pretty dang durable for its cost if you build it with enough modifiers

I flew one last week. I used this Squadron (because I wanted to play Rogue One): 

Blue Squadron Pathfinder (23)
Collision Detector (0)
Bistan (2)
Dash Rendar (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
R2-D6 (1)
Deadeye (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

I realized I can't fly large bases without spending the game on rocks, hence Dash and Collision Detector. I did spend most of the game on rocks, and part of that was simply because I didn't care too much about them. Bistan and the Anti-Pursuit Lasers didn't really do much although I was playing against a list with Arvel Crynyd so the APLs happened a couple of times (no hits, though). The Y did great as an ordnance carrier and got 2 solid shots with the torpedoes. The U was pretty good. I'll have to fly it a few more times.