Sign in to follow this  
Hawkstrike

Switcing things up ... bases

What if the K-wing and ARC-170 were large base and the U-wing were small base?

That's based both on the size of the model and it's health; I feel like 8 health should be the cutoff for a small based ship (and this the half-point threshold). You potentially put a lot of points into a fully loaded ARC or K-wing.

Medium bases *cough cough*

Really, any small bases that ring up for 20 bucks should have had a 'medium' base that was half the area of a large base (2 small bases). There could have been three configurations too, 'long' for stuff like the HWK, 'wide' for ARCs and K-wings, and square for Aggressors and such. IG2000 and U-wings just don't belong on large or small bases, but to represent the greater difficulty in maneuvering in tight spaces I suppose the large bases will just have to do.

Really, any small bases that ring up for 20 bucks should have had a 'medium' base that was half the area of a large base (2 small bases). There could have been three configurations too, 'long' for stuff like the HWK, 'wide' for ARCs and K-wings, and square for Aggressors and such. IG2000 and U-wings just don't belong on large or small bases, but to represent the greater difficulty in maneuvering in tight spaces I suppose the large bases will just have to do.

Creating a new medium base size would be a great way to add a new "flight pattern" without changing anything else about the game.

The caster can only do it once. A single SLAM discards all equipped Burnout Slam cards.

uhhh... How do you figure?

The discard condition is "After you perform a SLAM action, discard this card."

Medium bases would have been interesting but how to make them?  The idea of "long" or "wide" just sounds like too much work and reduces the interchangeability of bases; it would also royally screw up how Barrel Rolls work as your long would get so much forward/back maneuver space while the wide wouldn't have a lot of wiggle room but could radically move a firing arc.

Assuming the medium bases were squares, which would have been the most likely, would the be half the area of a large and twice the area of a small or would the side length split the difference between the large and small?  Double the area of a small would mean the sides would be the length of a small ship's diagonal.

Medium bases would have been interesting but how to make them?  The idea of "long" or "wide" just sounds like too much work and reduces the interchangeability of bases; it would also royally screw up how Barrel Rolls work as your long would get so much forward/back maneuver space while the wide wouldn't have a lot of wiggle room but could radically move a firing arc.

Assuming the medium bases were squares, which would have been the most likely, would the be half the area of a large and twice the area of a small or would the side length split the difference between the large and small?  Double the area of a small would mean the sides would be the length of a small ship's diagonal.

Well...

Small bases are 4cm on a side, Large are 8cm on a side... so Mediums should be 6cm on a side. Which is a bit bigger than a small bases hypotenuse (5.6568 or 5.7cm).

Well...

Small bases are 4cm on a side, Large are 8cm on a side... so Mediums should be 6cm on a side. Which is a bit bigger than a small bases hypotenuse (5.6568 or 5.7cm).

But then you've got more than twice the area of a small base and less than half the area of a large base.

If a large base covers 64 cm^2 and a small base covers 16 cm^2 then a medium base should cover 32 cm^s which is 5.657 cm on a side which happens to be that small base diagonal.  Still works out nice geometrically :)

Adding a medium base size that goes two ways would double the number of bases you have to carry around and in my honest opinion wouldn't change anything bar firing arcs. It's a minor change that introduces needless complications.

Well...

But then you've got more than twice the area of a small base and less than half the area of a large base.

I'm not sure area is as big a factor as that a medium base would put the mounted ship a "half-step" off everything else on the board for movement.

The medium base ship sailed back in Wave 6.  That would have been the best time to intro it.

Never say never.

Still think medium bases should be a thing. We have what...5 ships now that should be medium?

Uwing // Kwing // Punisher // Mist Hunter // IG88

Kwing on a Large Base would be laughably ...broken probably isnt the right word for that but i think the alcohol is preventing me from thinking of a proper word lol. Large base slam really moves...just saying...

Still think medium bases should be a thing. We have what...5 ships now that should be medium?

Uwing // Kwing // Punisher // Mist Hunter // IG88

Kwing on a Large Base would be laughably ...broken probably isnt the right word for that but i think the alcohol is preventing me from thinking of a proper word lol. Large base slam really moves...just saying...

You forgot the HWK-290.... that's bigger than some of your should be medium ships... 5 whole hit points