Sign in to follow this  
Ender07

Beating a dead horse..(aka Force Move question)

So my PC's are ranking up their Force Move power and I realized I was not having them roll the proper check. I was initially having them roll a Force check to determine what they can do (range band, silhouette, magnitude), then if they planned on picking up an object and throwing it, I had them roll a ranged light check separately to determine if they hit. The difficulty would be determined as though it's a normal ranged light attack (easy, average, hard, etc.)

So after having them try it multiple times during my last session, I sat down to review it more and saw that it mentions for the first level of control to roll a "Discipline ranged combat check." After perusing the forums I saw multiple answers and house rules, etc. but I never quite figured out how to determine the difficulty of that sort of check and if they are using their Discipline skill or their Ranged Attack (Light) skill.

I do understand that you can do a Discipline vs. Discipline opposed check when you are trying to use a Force power against a Rival or Nemesis that is either an adversary or narratively needs to be "stronger." What I don't get is how you determine how you throw a TIE-Fighter at an AT-ST at long range if you generate the proper pips to do so...

TL;DR - How do you determine the Discipline difficult check when throwing something with Move?

Edited by Ender07

So an example being that they throw a large metal object at engaged range to them (sil 2) at an AT-ST (sil 3) that is at long range. They would use their Discipline skill and I would set the difficult to Hard (3X Purple) to start, upgrade the difficulty if the AT-ST has adversary, and then add boost or setback for cover, aiming, etc?

What if they are moving that same object that is at medium range to them at the AT-ST? Then the object is only moving 1 range band, would that be an easy check (1X Purple) instead?

Accuracy is based on Force-user to target, not object to target.

So regardless of where the object is they utilize to Force Move it, it would still be the same difficulty as though the object was next to them?

What if they topple a tower onto an AT-AT that's at Extreme range to them, but they have to time it where the AT-AT is right next to the tower (say short-medium range) so it has to hit? Would that still count or would that be a different kind of check?

And just to ask, in your games do you require one Force point per increase in silhouette? So a silhouette 4 object would require 1 FP to initiate Force move, and 4 points to even interact with an object of that size?

If you read the strength upgrades for move, including the descriptions on the next page, it explains that activating your strength upgrade increases the silhouette by the amount of strength upgrades you have purchased with xp. So eventually, 1 activation of strength or 1 force point can get you to move silhouette 4 objects.

The difficulty is always based on the silhouette of the object you are moving, starting at 0 difficulty with silhouette 0 objects and going up 1 difficulty per silhouette. Defense and ranks in adversary can factor into the overall difficulty of the check but the base difficulty is equal to the silhouette.

If you are throwing a person I believe the base difficulty is still based on their silhouette, not opposed against their discipline.

And just to ask, in your games do you require one Force point per increase in silhouette? So a silhouette 4 object would require 1 FP to initiate Force move, and 4 points to even interact with an object of that size?

In my games, yes, I impose a req for that.  It's too **** powerful for too **** little otherwise imo.  I'm sure some will be along here shortly to scream and holler how mean I am, but that's how I do it.

I just use a Discipline check as per the original (EoE) rules.   It's powerful, but it's supposed to be powerful in the MarcyVerse.  Besides, I use one-roll combat resolution a lot, and it's really just a version of that for us.

I might give a Force-using Nemesis a 'save or die' roll but that depends on the situation.

I didn't see a need to tamper with the mechanics of it, as by RAW it costs one pip to use your full quota of Strength upgrades (plus one for multiple upgrades  and one for the distance upgrades).  But as 2P51 says, you can change that if it suits your game.

For our game, Force users are rare and powerful and people who cross them usually end up dead.   Of course, there's some narrative drawbacks, like being hunted by the Jedi.