Sign in to follow this  
BlueMusketeer28

Epic Ships as Rocks

I haven't played in tournaments so I can't really answer your question. But casually I prefer 3D obstacles; I even have 3D asteroids and other debris. So having large ships in the middle is nice/fun.

P.S. I believe the tournament question has been answered above so no, they are not legal.

We've done it several times. We also use the Epic rules that it obstructs shots, and if you hit it, poof, you're dead. Lots of fun!

Not quite true - if a huge ship overlaps a small/large ship, then the small/large ship is destroyed. Not the other way round:

"Small/Large Ship Overlapping a Huge Ship

When a small or large ship executes a maneuver and the final position of its

base overlaps a huge ship, the overlapping ship must follow the rules under

“Plastic Bases Overlapping” described on page 17 of the core set rulebook.

Additionally, the player controlling the overlapping ship rolls one attack die and

suffers any damage ( ) and critical damage ( ) rolled."

Page 4 of the huge ship rules.

But it'd be fun to play that way - if you wanted to.

Done it once or twice in casual games, kind of fun.  I feel it's more thematic and makes the game look better, but only once in a while since they take up a lot of space.

We play with the counters underneath so we can move the asteroids when needed. The debris is a little harder but the figure comes off leaving the base, so we're still okay.

Reading the Huge ship rules, it sounds like this is tournament legal. Has anyone ever tried it? I am curious about the results. It's great area denial but doesn't allow for complex rock fields. Just curious. Thanks

Yep.  Also, the red buttons (literally) are mines.  Spray painted some stands red, and glued the button to the ship peg.

I built a polystyrene model that looked about scale, mounted it on a ship stand from Litko, and voila!!

One post-game review was the idea that, if you wanted, you could still attack and blow up the derelict to remove it from play.

post-249589-0-50764600-1482455734_thumb.gif
Edited by Darth Meanie

No it is not, even only as an obstacle.

Still if it was I don't see why you would want to use it. It counts as all three of your obstacle setting. So placing all of your obstacles in one turn does put you at a disadvantage at turn 0.

Put it near the opponent's board edge and seismic torpedo it...?

3D obstacles look and sound cool, but they're kind of a pain in the ass since the rules allow you to stop on top of them, which is kind of hard to do with it's a foam rock 2 inches off the table.

Removing the rock while leaving the base doesn't have to be hard :)

No it is not, even only as an obstacle.

Still if it was I don't see why you would want to use it. It counts as all three of your obstacle setting. So placing all of your obstacles in one turn does put you at a disadvantage at turn 0.

Put it near the opponent's board edge and seismic torpedo it...?

From page 4 of huge ship rules

It does not move and cannot be attacked, damaged, or destroyed.

We use epic ships instead of asteroids all the time, as others have said it looks a lot better.

I also use 3d asteroids on clear rods.   They are mounted on a second set of asteroid templates.  I put the first set underneath, if you have to land on one you just lift up the top 3d layer and place the ship on the flat template beneath.

I cant see it being too hard to cut a piece of black card the size on an epic base (or use a spare base of the same size) to put under an epic ship being used as an obstacle if you ever had to move it to measure or do a manouvre.

I thought of an alternate rules for Epic where a ship gets enough damage it starts to drift around the table top as an obstacle until it reaches the table edge or hist another ship/obstacle that obliterates it. Sort of like Catastrophic damage tables for superheavy vehicles and ships in Warhammer 40,000 and battle Fleet Gothic.

Roll die.

Blank - drifting hulk at the end of each end phase move the ship 1 straight. If it hits another ship or obstacle resolve for overlap and roll again on this chart

focus - rolling wreck at the end of each end phase move the ship speed 1 in the same direction of its last move. If it hits a ship or obstacle resolve overlap and roll again on its turn.

hit- explodes. All ships within range 1 suffer one damage. Place on debris cloud for each section of the ship and remove ship from table.

critical hit- chain reaction. All ships within range 1 are delt one face up damage, all ships at range 2-3 are delt one face down. Place a number of debris clouds equal to the number of epic points on base and remove ship from table.