Mikael Hasselstein

Corellian Conflict Map

94 posts in this topic

Over the weekend I was able to finish framing my map with a magnetic backing.

http://modise95.blogspot.com/2016/12/cc-map.html

Very nice. I've used those ceramic disc magnets in the past and have never been able to resolve the problem of them putting out a Dusty black film on everyone's hands that touch the magnets. I've tried washing them many times and a couple of other things and have never been able to keep those magnets from releasing some black powdery substance. Have you had this problem?

Over the weekend I was able to finish framing my map with a magnetic backing.

http://modise95.blogspot.com/2016/12/cc-map.html

Very nice. I've used those ceramic disc magnets in the past and have never been able to resolve the problem of them putting out a Dusty black film on everyone's hands that touch the magnets. I've tried washing them many times and a couple of other things and have never been able to keep those magnets from releasing some black powdery substance. Have you had this problem?

Yes, but in the end of the day I don't think the guys are that concerned about a little grease and dirt.  It is just a cheap way to permanently utilize the stickers from the set, and I think that makes them happy that they are not forking over a new campaign map and stickers every time we start a new campaign.  I am sure you could get better quality magnets that wont do that online, but it would probably be more costly.  So personal preference I suppose.

Surprisingly I have not had this issue with these magnets.  I will see how it goes after a few uses.  These magnets were left over from another project but I did pay a little more for these after reviewing cheaper magnets.  So, these were not on the low end of the magnet scale cause I needed to make sure that they could hold a shot glass upside down.  

I guess what I am saying, since magnets do vary, you want to make sure you get the higher quality magnets.  I think I paid twice the price for these over the cheaper magnets, so $20.00 over $10.00 for similar quantity of magnets.  People have mentioned issues with cheaper magnets and I have had that same issue on previous projects.

Our group is planning on playing the campaign a few times, so we wanted to maxmize the use, I am sure in the end we will have 6 copies if not more of the campaign and we probably won't play it that many times.  

the main reason if for whatever reason we want to play, we do not have to worry about finding unused map and stickers.

These ceramic magnets are much much cheaper than neodymium magnets but have less magnetic pull per square inch, but since these ceramic magnets are so big you often don't need a super strong pull force. I've used neodymium magnets in many gaming projects and they are a bit brittle but rarely break to gaming use. They are significantly more expensive than other magnets.

Always order neodymium magnets online. The local prices are about 10x more than ordering online.

I was fortunate in that I had a lot of left over neodymium magnets from my past 40K days, back when I did a lot of modding.  The D63A magnets from Amazing Magnets worked well for me.  The below is a picture of my map, with 26-gauge sheet metal behind it in the frame.  The stickers, converted to tokens, are stuck to the metallic white board to the left.  (And my phone and a bit of me are also visible. :-P).088F07D3-1F9B-42A3-91FD-7252AD2A38E4.jpg

Edited by Edsel62
Handler, Ell and Brikhause like this

So, the artwork of the map is really awesome!

The shame is that it is on folded paper, which had to be done to fit into the rather small box.

At my FLGS, I organized and resourced the hanging up of a 4' x 6' laminated map of the galaxy. (For an image, see here.) Now, I understand that we weren't going to get a map of that scale or physical quality, but I had hoped for something that could have not been out of place hanging next to my galaxy map.

I'm of a mind to make a replica (not a copy) of this map, which could be hung up alongside this, to represent the campaign. I wonder if anybody else is having similar ideas.

If you are very careful you can use a hot iron and steam the folds out of the paper. To long in one spot though and you can bleach the coloring so beware. I remember my mom doing this for me when I was a kid in the 80's and had a few folded Star Wars movie posters.

<snip> (And my phone and a bit of me are also visible. :-P).088F07D3-1F9B-42A3-91FD-7252AD2A38E4.jpg

Not to mention your ceiling fan, which almost has enough blades to look like the imperial insignia!

ianediger likes this

Hey all, 

Apologies if anyone has already pointed this out, but the stickers are perfect sized to cover all the green portion of X-Wing focus and evade tokens. Since the tokens are double-sided, they aren't ruined by putting the sticker on just one side. Do that, and roll/counter-fold the mat so it lies flat and the problem is pretty much solved: replayability and ease of use.

Hope that helps,

Myke

www.mykecole.com

I'm not sure if this is understood or not, some people seem to think you can't fit copy right reasons but, the legend in the bottom left corner grants permission to photocopy. Little fine print.

OgRib likes this

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but buy yourself a piece of plexiglass from lowes and lay it on top of the map.  Now you have a nice hard, flat map with no creases, you can write on it with grease pencils or sharpies or whatever (or put your stickers on it)

We always used plexiglass with the SWM maps because they were paper like this.  I too was hoping for a better quality map

I haven't actually played, or even seen, the campaign yet, but from the way people are talking here, it sounds like the map was supposed to be more of an ancillary play aid, something that was meant to be hung on a wall or tossed back into the box in between sessions without losing data rather than a board game surface in the way that Rebellion or GWs Mighty Empires is.

If that is the case, then they may have been stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the only viable options being the cheap, inexpensive, disposable one they took or some sort of uber deluxe option that would've jacked the cost up to unreasonable levels.

homedrone likes this

I scanned mine as soon as I got it so I could go digital immediately. I'd post it here, but I'm not sure how much I'd run afoul of their copyright rights.

Someone on here said that the map has some text in one of the corners that says it's allowed to be copied.  I know I sure would appreciate a high quality scan of the map so I don't have to hit up a store on my own.

Forgottenlore likes this

I haven't actually played, or even seen, the campaign yet, but from the way people are talking here, it sounds like the map was supposed to be more of an ancillary play aid, something that was meant to be hung on a wall or tossed back into the box in between sessions without losing data rather than a board game surface in the way that Rebellion or GWs Mighty Empires is.

I've gone back and forth and decided that being able to fold up the map for storage between sessions is more important than being able to use it multiple times. I still think the box is overpriced as it stands. And the lack of PDF fleet record sheets is really inexcusable. 

I scanned mine as soon as I got it so I could go digital immediately. I'd post it here, but I'm not sure how much I'd run afoul of their copyright rights.

Someone on here said that the map has some text in one of the corners that says it's allowed to be copied.  I know I sure would appreciate a high quality scan of the map so I don't have to hit up a store on my own.

The map says that copies are permitted "...for personal use only."

Posted (edited)

I know that in X-wing they put downloadable copies of the two campaigns fleet rosters on the support page. Might for this too

Edited by ForceSensitive

4 hours ago, Greatfrito said:

I just put mine in a frame, and did the stickers-on-tokens-with-Velcro approach last night.

Me too!  Looking forward to getting a day's worth of campaigning this weekend.