Sign in to follow this  
WWHSD

Avoid frustration and wait to roll the die from Lightweight Frame.

That's some PGS-level BS right there, no matter how you look at it. Don't be that guy.

There are some top flight players that made it to some significant rounds at worlds that do exactly this.

Interesting considering there was no strikers available at worlds.

And as far as im concerned by watching worlds streams games were in pretty sportsmanship like attitude despite the rank of event. Its not forgetting to do action , and realizing that in combat after all.

I was more referring to the allowing of sloppy/casual play that's technically illegal throughout a game, then pull the player on it when it becomes game critical.

This Lightweight frame would be an example of that. Most of the time not an issue even if technically wrong. They will let roll all the dice together, until it's a critical where you roll well, then as per the rules, you would be required to re-roll everything.

I was more referring to the allowing of sloppy/casual play that's technically illegal throughout a game, then pull the player on it when it becomes game critical.

This Lightweight frame would be an example of that. Most of the time not an issue even if technically wrong. They will let roll all the dice together, until it's a critical where you roll well, then as per the rules, you would be required to re-roll everything.

Yes but i still fail to see any reason why rolling 2+1 could yield ANY different results to just rolling 3.

I get your point, for sure you have to be sharp for any misplays that may bring advantage to opponent but , hell there is no advantage in this particular case. Aside from luring your opponent into false sense that you are ok with rolling 3 then suddenly go je-mode-rk...

It's an important distinction because of the timing it creates. Say you're at R3 of a 3 dice attack with LF; it won't trigger because your range bonus bumps you to 3 dice, matching the attack. However, if the attacker was a Rey Falcon with Finn, or a Norra with a target lock, both of those attacks add a die result after the roll, which totals the attack dice to 4, meaning LF will trigger at R3 again. In that case, the attacker basically has to make a call on whether to spend the ability to add a die and trigger LF, or save it for later use (on defence, for example).

It's also opens scope for future upgrades that promote of interfere with that timing step.

On a lesser note, it's also a bad habit to get into with LF, as you may absent mindedly pick up 3 dice for every defence roll, or give yourself a bonus die at R3 without thinking. It's a mistake, it happens, but it's easily avoided if you nip it in the bud.

Edited by NakedDex

It's entirely possible that an opponent will allow you to roll all the dice at once without comment all game long until you have a very good roll at a critical time. 

Yeh, this is what I did last night. Guy was so **** salty.

Fair warning. There are people who got banned from their local store for that kind of behavior. 

It's not even technical wrong, you always roll one dice last. ;-)

The rule makes clear that the last rolling die can not be the range 3 die, but must be the LF die, which means you do not get that die for example in range 3 cases or some obstructed cases, etc

The rule and its intention is clear, the OP warns you just for people who are mocking the rules and trying to cheat. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

I mean, you could do that, but you'd literally be ignoring the card text in doing so. It mentions a very deliberate timing. Nothing to stop you from picking up three, rolling two, then rolling one. It sounds pedantic, but it's the rule and instruction the card gives you.

I mean, you could do that, but you'd literally be ignoring the card text in doing so. It mentions a very deliberate timing. Nothing to stop you from picking up three, rolling two, then rolling one. It sounds pedantic, but it's the rule and instruction the card gives you.

And yet we all know that rule is there for different reasons...

It's entirely possible that an opponent will allow you to roll all the dice at once without comment all game long until you have a very good roll at a critical time. 

So much for "fly casual."

OTOH, reminds me why I don't go to tournaments.  I'd hate to have a great day of X-Wing ruined by people like you.

OTOH, reminds me why I don't go to tournaments.  I'd hate to have a great day of X-Wing ruined by people like you.

That is like saying "reminds me why I don't go outside". I feel your pain that your local tournament scene seems to be not to your liking, but outside of sour losers who are way too much pissed at their own mistakes, I really can't complain at all about my local community. Fly casual is very healthy and strong. Tournaments are great fun and the tournament scene is great. 

That is like saying "reminds me why I don't go outside".

I don't go outside because it is hard to find defense dice in the lawn :P

It's a bit nitpicky, but WWHSD's post is a good reminder that getting into the proper habits right away saves you a lot of grief for later (specifically for tournaments).  Just think of lightweight frame the same way as you would a lone wolf or any other similiar card; keep a mental reminder that you need to do it after every defensive roll (when applicable) and you'll be fine.

Any examples of this? 

That's some PGS-level BS right there, no matter how you look at it. Don't be that guy.

There are some top flight players that made it to some significant rounds at worlds that do exactly this.

No, there aren't, and that is not just an opinion. The best players in this game are consistently very, very good sports and don't pull "gotcha" crap on anyone.

Yeah, no one has ever tried that nonsense with me, nor have I ever done it.  The people who do this are the wannabes that know they aren't good enough to play at the top tables, so they resort to trickery to get some dice or acrylics.

That being said, you should either verbally say "I'm rolling 2 agility + 1 lightweight die" or roll the die separately, anyway.  I like verbally confirming that I'm rolling the right amount of dice due to range, or obstructions, or whatever.  Talk more!

Edited by pheaver

Unless there is a legit reason for taking more time to roll 2 then roll 1 more, which currently there is 0 triggers off rolling defense dice besides light frame, i dont care im not wasting my time.

Its no different than literally any other bonus dice situation. You grab your initial number then state the extra dice. Even if i have SD i dont silently grab dice, i usually go "Stealth device...." in a gleeful manner or "Four for me!" indicating im not grabbing my printed agility.

Yes, the rules technically are different. It literally DOES NOT MATTER and just wastes time. When you have 3-4 ships with LF and you get that benefit every attack (just about), those 1-2 seconds extra add up quick.

Anyone who demands i reroll my dice until theres a trigger im skipping over is only going to tell me to do that if i rolled well. Guarantee nobody will say a **** thing if i rolled like ass.

At worlds specifically? No I wasn't there.

I won't give the specific examples I've seen myself either, as things tend to be very memorable and it flat call them out. I was more pointing out that I've witnessed such behaviour from people who went to worlds and placed very well ( From what I understand)

Not every player does it, not every player at worlds does (did) it. But people that do this exist at ALL levels of play.

Unless there is a legit reason for taking more time to roll 2 then roll 1 more, which currently there is 0 triggers off rolling defense dice besides light frame, i dont care im not wasting my time.

Just because there isn't one now doesn't mean there won't be one later, and odds are there will be one later. Which means you'll have to have to account for it, after developing a bad habit.

Wait what...? 

Unless being total jerk just for being jerk, what is the difference if you roll 3 dice at once or 2 then 1 in this case? Did i miss any interaction? All mods happen after, this wording is strictly there for not abusing range 3...

If anyone would make me reroll "framed" roll just cause i didn't roll 2+1 i would tell him to fk himself, period.

As soon as Sabine steals a TIE Bomber and gives it the title, Lightweight Frame, and C-3PO ...

Most TOs i know would rule it to be ok as far as i know them if that was really only matter of 3vs2+1.

I have trouble believing that most TOs would look at a situation where the rules were clearly not followed and that has a specific remedy included in the rules and say to just ignore it. They may not be happy to have to side with the asshat but if they are enforcing the rules of X-Wing they pretty much need to.

Play the card as written and it is a non-issue.  

if you dont correct it when its not convenient for you, you cant correct it when it is convenient. You had several opportunities to tell him to roll 2 + 1 but you chose to wait until he had a good roll? You, sir, are the definition of a WAAC. You cant decide to be lenient over a simple thing like 2+1 vs 3 one time and be uber strict about it the next.

on the other side, yeah, you can roll the extra die with you agility, and when the green blanks crap on you, you can say "hohoho silly me, i've been playing this wrong. the correct order is to roll 2+1. disconsider this roll and lets follow the rules."

same case of saltyness inducing gotcha moment.

but people like this dont go far... they usually get banned or beaten.

if you dont correct it when its not convenient for you, you cant correct it when it is convenient. 

That is simply untrue.  It may make you a WAAC player, but the rules don't say anything about needing to correct something at the first opportunity or losing the ability to fix it later.