Sign in to follow this  
JoeyBriefcase

What is the best way to Ionize?

blount is the best way to ionize.

With the Ion Pulse missile and Deadeye to be exact.  Pretty much a guarantee although the big problem there is no repeatability.

I'd still probably prefer IPM with Veteran Instincts. It'll push Blount up to PS8, which is enough for all but the highest aces.

I'm also really tempted to try him with Roark, and with no upgrades on Roark other than a Hot-Shot Co-Pilot.

4 Thugs with ion turret and title and r4 aggromech

Or 4 ion scyks and a single tlt thug.

Faced y-wings with ion cannons in the past it doesn't work my list beat his on damage every turn he didn't get a kill just chipped shields off my D's.

More than a couple of scyks would have the same issue just ioning isn't enough you need to push damage through as well.

Ionization rankings:

1) - TIE/D Defender, ion cannon (Vessery, Predator, or Expertise)

- Tomax Bren, Ion Pulse Missile, crackshot (you have a good chance to hit anything, ionizing big ships is excellent)

2) - Conner Nets (on K-wings or Deathfire)

- Ion Bomb (on Miranda with Sabine crew)

3) - Scyk, ion cannon (cheapest decent ion cannon, 19 points)

- Y-wing, ion cannon turret, BTL-A4 (not having the ion cannon at range 3 hurts)

Blount with IPM is good, but too expensive. Ion torpedoes are inferior to IPM in most every way. Of course they are viable in epic just like everything else. Ion turret on a ghost is another corner case.

Don't forget Ion Torpedoes. Probably over-priced but 4 red dice and an ion token on the target and everyone else at Range 1 of it makes for a good opening strike.

the beauty of this one is Ion Torps are generally considered trash, so nobody ever thinks about it. I brought it once and managed to ion 3 ships because my opponent completely forgot i had ion TORPEDOS and not MISSILES lol.

In terms of Defenders, connernets are best becuase they cant evade them. 3agi ships especially with an evade/focus are dang near impossible to tag with an ion weapon, though usually you will force tokens to be spent because getting ioned is bad juju. I'd rather take 2 damage than be ioned.

I've not had trouble ionising defenders with my current list.  2 mindlink ion scyks, 2 mindlink Concord Dawn Aces.  3 or 4 3 die shots will punch through a defender's tokens and ionise it, and an ionised defender is a dead defender.