Sign in to follow this  
Conandoodle

There is an off topic sub forum .. please use it.

Yes, we're all excited about Rogue One.

Yes, there's a Han Solo movie on the horizon.

Yes, we saw the Ghost and heard some other Rebels references in Rogue One.

Yes, we all want to share our feelings and thoughts .. good times or bad.

But can we please utilise the off-topic forum for all topics NOT related directly to the game. Pretty Please .. with a gunboat on top.

Edited by Conandoodle

Then we should not use "general" x-wing forum at all. Cause for ANY X-wing related stuff we got sub-categories.

And if we treat it as general xw talk...what is general xw talk if we can put it in a category almost 100% times? 

Agreed with shotbyscott: current forum structure got 2 off topics places...

Then we should not use "general" x-wing forum at all. Cause for ANY X-wing related stuff we got sub-categories.

And if we treat it as general xw talk...what is general xw talk if we can put it in a category almost 100% times? 

Agreed with shotbyscott: current forum structure got 2 off topics places...

correct as the main forum actually has no tile how can we define off topic..... its like the "any-thing X-Wing/Star Wars Stuff unless it has a sub forum that no one looks at " forum

its chicken and the egg. 

People post everything in the main forum because to sub-forums don't get trafficked. Meaning they then don't Traffic the sub-forums.... I personally try and go to all the sub-forums to encourage their use. 

it really is a losing battle, the mods are very distant so people take that as license to ignore common forum etiquette. Until the mods make a statement there really is no way to fix this unfortunately. 

Your best bet is to report any thing that you find off-topic or should be in a different sub-forum. 

its chicken and the egg. 

People post everything in the main forum because to sub-forums don't get trafficked. Meaning they then don't Traffic the sub-forums.... I personally try and go to all the sub-forums to encourage their use. 

it really is a losing battle, the mods are very distant so people take that as license to ignore common forum etiquette. Until the mods make a statement there really is no way to fix this unfortunately. 

Your best bet is to report any thing that you find off-topic or should be in a different sub-forum. 

<sarcasm> like this thread </sarcasm>

Yes, we're all excited about Rogue One.

Yes, there's a Han Solo movie on the horizon.

Yes, we saw the Ghost and heard some other Rebels references in Rogue One.

Yes, we all want to share our feelings and thoughts .. good times or bad.

But can we please utilise the off-topic forum for all topics NOT related directly to the game. Pretty Please .. with a gunboat on top.

Looking at the variety of Sub-Forums we have I would have thought that Off-Topic meant things like politics, history, fashion design and other topics that truly fit the definition of Off-Topic.

If that is so, and again looking at the Sub-Forums we have, then the Main forum is more of a general forum.  It follows then, the best place to talk about things generally related to Star Wars, X-Wing and all other related topics is right here in the Main Forum.

If that is so then discussions about Rogue One belong right here in the Main Forum.

That's just my 2 cents. Oh and the Sub-Forums do not get as much traffic. See above.

P.S. If I give you a penny for your thoughts and you give me your 2 Cents who keeps the change?

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

typically off-topic for any specific forum is for talking with the same community about things the forum isnt focused around.

If its Starwars related, it belongs in general or one of the specific forums (rules/lists).

If its not Starwars, off-topic.

And for the most part thats how it is. Theres very little starwars stuff except the Novel questions in offtopic.

It's difficult to have this discussion.  It bothers SOME of us when the typical forum protocol isn't followed.... however it has ALSO become somewhat normal for movie discussion and a limited amount of off-topic posts to be allowed on the general forum.  

Basically we are self governing right now and overwriting the normal forum etiquette.  You can make an off-topic post in the general section, IF and ONLY IF it ends up being a huge success.   If it's not a successful topic, then it'll be socially ok for people to say "You should have made this in off-topic". 

You know it's funny though, because this post illustrates EXACTLY why people post off-topic stuff in the general forum.   They WANT PEOPLE TO SEE IT.   To drive my point home, I actually made almost this exact post in the off-topic section yesterday.  Yet the OP made this one here so people would see it.   Irony.   It tastes like tunafish. 

the thing with the forum structure here is ... if you want people to see you post dont put it in the sub forum as they get lots less traffic as the front page that every one posts in"

I appreciate your attempt but find it kind of pointless in the current forum structure

That is only the case because the mods don't just delete spam. If you tolerate misbehavior you have to accept that it becomes the norm. The custom card league topics theoretical belong into the painting and modifications subs, the rogues one topics into ot, etc

The biggest irony? The OT forum quite active for a while … but with everything going into this one, no one will bother the check the sub-forums. 

So you are telling me Rogue One does not have X-Wings in it which may lead to future expansions? It is still Star Wars, it is not like people are talking about Transformers or anything. Star Wars is what X-Wing is based on. I don't see it as that far off topic. (I have not seen it yet, and avoiding spoilers, and I still think it is fine to post.) I am sure new pilots from the movies WILL be making it to the game.

Edited by Jadotch