Sign in to follow this  
Xenu's Paradox

Skids really can't do anything but evade and attack, can he?

Just tried running him solo, and good Nodens he's boring. No search, no way to pick up clues directly other than Evidence! (which requires killing an enemy,) no way to boost Intellect outside of committing cards... You pretty much have to pray you draw a Flashlight or get lucky with your chaos tokens or you're gonna die in the Study. And Azathoth forbid you get hit with a Frozen in Fear without Physical Training out.

3 Intellect isn't bad. You have Opportunist and the neutral Skill cards. Investigating might be tough in certain places, but he's not as bad as others. And yeah you might be depending on Physical Training or the Flashlight, but he has access to card draw in Pickpocketing. Or use Leo to counteract the lost action from Frozen in Fear. He's not the best solo but he's quite manageable.

Have fun with Roland then - "all he can do is kill stuff and..."

3 Intellect is fine!

Roland gets free clues for killing stuff and has access to Seeker cards like Magnifying Glass, Hyperawareness, and Working a Hunch, which can help him push forward even if the encounter deck decides to deal out nothing but Treachery cards.

Daisy is so boring, all she can do is investigate!

Agnes is so boring, all she can do is cast spells!

Wendy is so boring, all she can do is...actually, I haven't figured out yet what survivors are good at. Turn failure into success?

Daisy has issues as well, stemming from her inability to deal with enemies. However, she also has access to Hyperawareness for evading and Mind Over Matter for important combat checks (Ghoul Priest.)

Agnes is a total beast who can do it all. Investigate? Flashlight, Arcane Studies, and tons of Intellect icons to commit. Kill stuff? Shrivelling, Blinding Light, Forbidden Knowledge, hell, even just let enemies with horror attack you and assign the damage to an asset. Search? Scrying. Draw? Heirloom.

I haven't played Wendy since 2 cores isn't enough cards to build 5 decks, but I imagine she's pretty versatile.

Skids doesn't really have access to anything to fill in the gaps in his repertoire. No +Intellect assets and a dearth of Intellect and Willpower icons to commit, no +clues cards other than Evidence! which is dependent on enemies spawning, etc.

Edited by Xenu's Paradox

Agnes is a total beast who can do it all. Investigate? Flashlight, Arcane Studies, and tons of Intellect icons to commit. Kill stuff? Shrivelling, Blinding Light, Forbidden Knowledge, hell, even just let enemies with horror attack you and assign the damage to an asset. Search? Scrying. Draw? Heirloom.

Also for Investigate: "Look What I Found!" and Drawn to the Flame

Also for Draw: Rabbit's Foot

I haven't played Wendy since 2 cores isn't enough cards to build 5 decks, but I imagine she's pretty versatile.

Wendy can do a lot because she has a decent stat line but I think she shines at evading enemies. It kinda makes her a tank since her purpose is to mitigate enemy damage. She can deal some good damage too with cards like Backstab, though don't expect her to actually win a normal fight with only 1 fight. With Hard Knocks and Dig Deep she can boost everything besides investigation (which is what Flashlight is for). 

3 Intellect is fine!

Roland gets free clues for killing stuff and has access to Seeker cards like Magnifying Glass, Hyperawareness, and Working a Hunch, which can help him push forward even if the encounter deck decides to deal out nothing but Treachery cards.

Wendy is so boring, all she can do is...actually, I haven't figured out yet what survivors are good at. Turn failure into success?

Daisy has issues as well, stemming from her inability to deal with enemies. However, she also has access to Hyperawareness for evading and Mind Over Matter for important combat checks (Ghoul Priest.)

Skids doesn't really have access to anything to fill in the gaps in his repertoire. No +Intellect assets and a dearth of Intellect and Willpower icons to commit, no +clues cards other than Evidence! which is dependent on enemies spawning, etc.

Your complain about Skids inability to Investigate without drawing a Flashlight is the exact same as you saying Daisy can fight if she draws Mind Over Matter. In both cases, you're depending on one card out of 33, but you only consider that a drawback for Skids?

Roland and Agnes are great solo, because they have strengths in a lot of areas, and access to multiple cards to fill in the gaps. Skids and Daisy both have larger gaps in their abilities to solo, and access to fewer cards to ameliorate that. I don't see why you're hating on Skids so much for that, but seem to be OK with Daisy. Perhaps you've just had bad luck with him, as I have with Wendy? I'm sure she's great solo for some people, but I hate her. That's not to say she's a bad Investigator. Just that I'm unlucky with her, or don't know how to pilot her deck.

3 Intellect is fine!

Your complain about Skids inability to Investigate without drawing a Flashlight is the exact same as you saying Daisy can fight if she draws Mind Over Matter. In both cases, you're depending on one card out of 33, but you only consider that a drawback for Skids?

Roland and Agnes are great solo, because they have strengths in a lot of areas, and access to multiple cards to fill in the gaps. Skids and Daisy both have larger gaps in their abilities to solo, and access to fewer cards to ameliorate that. I don't see why you're hating on Skids so much for that, but seem to be OK with Daisy. Perhaps you've just had bad luck with him, as I have with Wendy? I'm sure she's great solo for some people, but I hate her. That's not to say she's a bad Investigator. Just that I'm unlucky with her, or don't know how to pilot her deck.

I did acknowledge that Daisy has significant weaknesses. However, I feel she's in a somewhat better place than Skids for a couple reasons:

1. Clues win games. If you play well and get a little luck on your side, you can blitz through the first 2 acts of The Gathering without ever seeing an enemy, then hole up in the Parlor with Barrier until you're ready to take on the Ghoul Priest.

2. More versatility. Seeker/Mystic is probably the most diverse set of effects you can get in two classes. Card draw, search, resource generation, clue finding... All universally useful. Fighting and vasion are only good if there's something to fight/evade. For a Treachery-heavy scenario like The Gathering, Skids is frequently SOL with a bunch of useless cards in hand that don't even boost Intellect. Just burning all his actions to draw cards and holding onto the few +Intellect icons he pulls. And if you get hit with Obscuring Mist in the Cellar? Fat chance you ever flip the Parlor.

3 Intellect is fine!

I did acknowledge that Daisy has significant weaknesses. However, I feel she's in a somewhat better place than Skids for a couple reasons:

1. Clues win games. If you play well and get a little luck on your side, you can blitz through the first 2 acts of The Gathering without ever seeing an enemy, then hole up in the Parlor with Barrier until you're ready to take on the Ghoul Priest.

2. More versatility. Seeker/Mystic is probably the most diverse set of effects you can get in two classes. Card draw, search, resource generation, clue finding... All universally useful. Fighting and vasion are only good if there's something to fight/evade. For a Treachery-heavy scenario like The Gathering, Skids is frequently SOL with a bunch of useless cards in hand that don't even boost Intellect. Just burning all his actions to draw cards and holding onto the few +Intellect icons he pulls. And if you get hit with Obscuring Mist in the Cellar? Fat chance you ever flip the Parlor.

Do you mean Barricade?  That doesn't stop the Ghoul Priest as he is an elite enemy.

"Non-Elite enemies cannot move into attached location."

3 Intellect is fine!

Do you mean Barricade?  That doesn't stop the Ghoul Priest as he is an elite enemy.

That wasn't a reference to Barricade, but rather choosing not to pay the clues to turn the Agenda Card until the character is prepared.

3 Intellect is fine!

That wasn't a reference to Barricade, but rather choosing not to pay the clues to turn the Agenda Card until the character is prepared.

No, that was me straight-up derping. I did mean Barricade and simply misremembered the text. But yes, you can wait until you have a couple Mind over Matter in your hand before flipping Act 2, although it can be risky if you pull a nasty monster.

Skids is currently the best combat investigator in the game, so it would be a bit boring if he was also good an investigating.

Just wanted to know why you think that? To my mind Roland is the strongest combat character so far, with the highest raw combat stat and a signature asset which is currently, arguably, the best weapon in the game. Granted, Skids has access to Backstab, can evade pretty well, Hard Knocks to beef himself up and Sneak Attack to deal damage to those already evaded, but Roland is more reliable in my experience, where Skids is more swingy.

Skids is currently the best combat investigator in the game, so it would be a bit boring if he was also good an investigating.

Just wanted to know why you think that? To my mind Roland is the strongest combat character so far, with the highest raw combat stat and a signature asset which is currently, arguably, the best weapon in the game. Granted, Skids has access to Backstab, can evade pretty well, Hard Knocks to beef himself up and Sneak Attack to deal damage to those already evaded, but Roland is more reliable in my experience, where Skids is more swingy.

Skids is better in that he handles both combat and tanking (evasion) well. I regularly play Skids and one of my friends regularly plays Roland. Skids is better at being able to help the investigators deal with enemies in general.

Sure, Roland is better at pure combat in that his combat value is 4 compared to Skids' 3. However, Skids usually has an abundance of supplies and actions due to his innate ability, his elder sign ability and his access to Rogue cards (Burglary, Leo De Luca, etc). Thus, Skids has more reliable skill boosts to both combat and evasion (usually has more supplies available to use for Physical Training or Hard Knocks).

Roland also is less consistent in that he typically has less actions to work with and has to rely more on guns, whereas Skids is a Machete monster with his fairly reliable evades and extra actions. Also you already mentioned some of the reasons yourself. Skids has access to to Sneak Attack and Backstab. Also Sneak Attack gives him a combat redundancy to better deal with high fight value low evade value enemies.

Skids is a ninja. Roland is a brute.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Skids has the On the Lam/Elusive/Dynamite Blast combo. Dynamite Blast is much better on Skids than Roland.

Edited by KhalBrogo

Skids is better in that he handles both combat and tanking (evasion) well. I regularly play Skids and one of my friends regularly plays Roland. Skids is better at being able to help the investigators deal with enemies in general.

Sure, Roland is better at pure combat in that his combat value is 4 compared to Skids' 3. However, Skids usually has an abundance of supplies and actions due to his innate ability, his elder sign ability and his access to Rogue cards (Burglary, Leo De Luca, etc). Thus, Skids has more reliable skill boosts to both combat and evasion (usually has more supplies available to use for Physical Training or Hard Knocks).

Roland also is less consistent in that he typically has less actions to work with and has to rely more on guns, whereas Skids is a Machete monster with his fairly reliable evades and extra actions. Also you already mentioned some of the reasons yourself. Skids has access to to Sneak Attack and Backstab. Also Sneak Attack gives him a combat redundancy to better deal with high fight value low evade value enemies.

Correction: Skids is a Rogue. Roland is a Paladin.

Correction: Skids is a Rogue. Roland is a Paladin.

No. Paladins don't cover up evidence.

Does he? I always thought that his weakness having to investigate extra hard because of cover ups by the government agency he is working for - Fox Mulder style.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Skids has the On the Lam/Elusive/Dynamite Blast combo. Dynamite Blast is much better on Skids than Roland.

You make some excellent points, I retract my earlier statement, Skids is better at killing things. However, Roland gains clues from killing enemies, therefore pursuing combat with Roland is not only usually effective, it adds to your efficiency too. So while I agree with you that Skids actually is the better character in a fight, Roland is better from a gameplay point of view to be geared up as a fighter.

I'm not sure I've made my point that clear there, but it's late and you're all investigators, so hopefully you'll figure it out!

Edited by General Zodd

Does he? I always thought that his weakness having to investigate extra hard because of cover ups by the government agency he is working for - Fox Mulder style.

Nope, he covers up evidence of spoopy stuff because People Aren't Ready To Know.

Which could easily qualify as Lawful Good since he's rigidly adhering to an ethos (Lawful) designed to benefit others (Good).

Also, the law is silent on the subject of ghouls, night-gaunts, and Ancient Ones, so whether they are capable of committing crimes in the first place (from a legal POV) is extremely dubious; thus, covering up evidence of their activities is arguably not unlawful from a jurisprudence standpoint.

Further, Paladins are not required to be Lawful Good in many editions of D&D; Unearthed Arcana, for example, presents variants for every alignment in 3.5 while 4th Edition merely requires that your alignment match that of your deity. There's even a subclass specifically for antiheroic characters (the Blackguard.)

Rules lawyer'd

Before looking at XP cards, Roland has two advantages over Skids when it comes to murdering things: +1 Fight and his signature gun. Skids has far more advantages, however:

1) A more combat-relevant ability. An extra action to either fight or move to an area to fight is more relevant than gaining a clue.

2) Access to more combat-relevant cards. Both can play the Guardian weapons, Guardian allies, and Viscous Blow, but Skids can also play the Rogue weapons, Backstab, and Sneak Attack.

3) Better economy. Skids has better access to efficient resource generation, which makes playing the more expensive combat/damage assets (guns, Dynamite) far easier.

When you look at the current XP cards, Roland does get the Shotgun as another weapon, but Skids gets access to cards that make succeeding in a combat more likely (Sure Bet) or more effective.

This is not to say that Roland is a bad investigator, just that he is more rounded: his two classes let him fight and investigate. With the current cards Skids is far more focussed on killing things*, but that does mean that he is less able to investigate. This makes Roland a better solo investigator, but if you want to add combat punch to your team, Skids is a better first pick. It doesn't mean that Roland cannot fight, but from what we've seen of the deluxe box, Skids is (and will be for a while) the best combat/damage investigator.

*As an aside, I find it odd that people like evading so much with Skids. He has a good agility, and can play Pickpocket, but I don't think that it makes the most of his cardpool. Wendy's mix of Rogue and Survivor cards make her much better at using evade as an offensive tool.

Nope, he covers up evidence of spoopy stuff because People Aren't Ready To Know.

Which could easily qualify as Lawful Good since he's rigidly adhering to an ethos (Lawful) designed to benefit others (Good).

Also, the law is silent on the subject of ghouls, night-gaunts, and Ancient Ones, so whether they are capable of committing crimes in the first place (from a legal POV) is extremely dubious; thus, covering up evidence of their activities is arguably not unlawful from a jurisprudence standpoint.

Further, Paladins are not required to be Lawful Good in many editions of D&D; Unearthed Arcana, for example, presents variants for every alignment in 3.5 while 4th Edition merely requires that your alignment match that of your deity. There's even a subclass specifically for antiheroic characters (the Blackguard.)

Rules lawyer'd

Covering up evidence is an obstruction of justice i.e. illegal and unlawful.

The law being silent on the subject of ghouls, night-gaunts, and Ancient Ones is irrelevant. Your ignorance of the law is made obvious from your statement that you impose relevance on the ability of these actors to commit crimes. The very discussion regarding their ability to commit crimes is absolutely unnecessary. The crime is that he's actively and intentionally hindering an investigation.

That evidence is intentionally being covered up is what is relevant. Roland could be covering up evidence of a dog's actions and it could still be illegal. For example, let's say he's covering up evidence that a dog somehow turned on a stove and started a fire which burned a house down (which I've seen in an insurance case as an attorney). His covering this up could be insurance fraud as well.

Thus, the fact that evidence is intentionally being covered up in an investigation is the key factor - it doesn't matter whether the actors directly involved in the actions pertaining to the evidence are capable of committing a crime, the actors do not necessarily have to be the ones being prosecuted.

If you want to go down this road that Paladins can include non lawful good characters and potentially even include Blackguards then why did you correct me in the first place? If you're not talking about a lawful good character what are you talking about? If you're saying Paladins include everything under the sun then your statement/correction was completely unnecessary and unhelpful.

Lawyered.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/42/77/0a/42770ae137786bca0b819f2dc45fe039.jpg

Edited by KhalBrogo

-KhalBrogo, Being lawful does not mean blind obedience to the law. There are several lawful evil kingdoms. Do you expect a good Paladin to follow their laws? No being lawful is a personality that leans towards a code of conduct being of religious, social or personal in nature.

Edited by Sindriss