Sign in to follow this  
Hrathen

What I learned from Rougue One

Thank you for using 'learned' instead of 'learnt'.

Those were Ion Torpedoes. I guess the ISD was at range one of itself multiple times.

One would hope. At the same scale as the Tantive IV, an Imperial Star Destroyer would be roughly 7 feet long, if I remember correctly from when I did the math a while back.

Lessons from Rogue One - The Bad guy wins sometimes just like in RL.  And additionally if your willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING you can overcome Bigly that Bad guy.

Proper bad guys always put you in a lose-lose situation. It's only magical space heroes that are allowed to find some way out of it and actually win and not die.

Proper bad guys always put you in a lose-lose situation. It's only magical space heroes that are allowed to find some way out of it and actually win and not die.   

Which is what gives Rogue One the feels so much; you can still win, even in a situation like that, as long as you don't insist on "and not die".

Those rebel fleet troopers lasted about 0.3 seconds each, if that....but times that by a full squad and you earn enough time for the Tantive to launch. Galaxy saved.

I want a door gunner on my U-wing!

It takes 6 ion tokens to disable a star destroyer (3 ion bombs)

Why the Rebelion didn't seem to have much of a fleet to attack the death star with.

There are at least five Y-wings launching at least two torpedoes each :P

Learned that if FFG ever released the hammerhead corvette as a huge ship, its collision rules need to be different since it can clearly take ramming and pushing something much bigger than itself... 

Honestly, I think the other lesson here was that "all those rebel soldiers and pilots you thought of as nameless extras from the OT have a story, and here's what one such story is like".  Had this film been presented from different characters POV, you'd never think twice about the casualties on the ground as the audience.  By making them the focus, you get an understanding of the total cost of galactic war (or war in general).

Why the Rebelion didn't seem to have much of a fleet to attack the death star with.

I thought it looked like the Rebellion was already well to equipped. They could strike anywhere and everywhere it wasn't like they were on the run as they were in Episode 4 and 5. It sort of have the Supreme Commander strategy where the Empire was on the back food from these break away states and they had to bank their military strategy around completion of this one super weapon.

I was hoping for evacuation of a Rebel base then the Rebels go to Yavin 4. To me it seemed like Rouge one followed the video and table top games like Rebellion and Battlefront than they followed the movie.

I thought it looked like the Rebellion was already well to equipped. They could strike anywhere and everywhere it wasn't like they were on the run as they were in Episode 4 and 5. It sort of have the Supreme Commander strategy where the Empire was on the back food from these break away states and they had to bank their military strategy around completion of this one super weapon.

I was hoping for evacuation of a Rebel base then the Rebels go to Yavin 4. To me it seemed like Rouge one followed the video and table top games like Rebellion and Battlefront than they followed the movie.

Isn't 'striking from a hidden base' part of the original ANH crawl though?  I would have found it weird if their base had changed as a result of this movie.

Not to mention that it would have taken up a lot of screentime in an already-full film.

It's stranger that the base wasn't evacuated after the capture of a high ranking member of the Rebellion leadership in ANH. 

Until you realise that at least one of the required transports got splattered across the windshield of the Devastator and the rest got killed off as well.