Sign in to follow this  
AngryAlbatross

Sell me on a non X/7 or non Defender Imperial Build

I flew double defenders + shuttle recently at Austin regionals (making top 16) and while I liked the list, I don't like to fly what everyone else flys.  Also I don't like people questioning my wins because X/7 Derpfenders are so awesome.  
As I look at the meta and upcoming regionals in Plano, I want to find something Imperial that is good and not based on Palpatine/X/7 shenanigans.  Tie/D is fine though.

Please internet, help me find something good to fly at next regionals.  You are my only hope!  

I don't know how these will perform, but I love the look of them on the board.

TIE Advanced: •Darth Vader (33)

TIE/x1 (0)

•Swarm Leader (3)

Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (18)

Adaptability (+1) (0)

TIE Fighter: Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 99/100

Or

TIE Advanced: •Darth Vader (33)

TIE/x1 (0)

•Swarm Leader (3)

TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (18)

Adaptability (+1) (0)

Total: 99/100

Or

TIE Advanced: •Darth Vader (37)

Engine Upgrade (4)

TIE/x1 (0)

•Swarm Leader (3)

TIE Fighter: •"Scourge" (18)

Veteran Instincts (1)

TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (21)

Stealth Device (3)

Adaptability (+1) (0)

Total: 100/100

wait for general Hux/kylo ren

hell, the Upsilon itself shouldn't be a slouch and it doesn't really care about the x7 one way or the other

Hux up some Tie/D, Fighters, FOs and/or Strikers; anything that can double-tap or stack Hux focus with an evade (or more focus) and turn them all into x7s (essentially)

Ren out Vader/Backdraft w.e

they'll open up some list building space for sure

Edited by ficklegreendice

All good ideas so far.  Tie/D Predator has caught my eye.  The real question is tractor beam or Ion cannon?

fickle I am really excited for the Upsilon, but I doubt it will come out before January 21.

Kreen I have never tried out Tomax Bren.  Is he really worth it?

He's good in...certain scenarios. In the list I posted I actually prefer him with Cool Hand over Crack Shot. Turns him into a massive token engine.

He tends to draw a lot of hate (kind of his role in the list), but makes for a devastating first exchange or two, depending on how you fly it. He basically ensures that both other ships are entering battle with two focus tokens (as OL evades turn 1, gets a free TL then 2, and so can focus. Rexler doesn't need the TL, and so just focuses).

So, in a list like this that wants him? It means that you have two hard hitters, and effectively an Imperial Biggs. And if they focus down him instead of your end game Aces, you've already won. And if they don't, you probably win by attrition.

But, again, he needs the right list. I've seen some people run him as an ace hunter with crack shot, navigator, and Tactician, but for those points you may as well use VI Vader, and at least have something that can survive more than one round.

You could also run any two of the named Defenders, one with a Tractor and the other with an Ion. I enjoy Maarek and Vessery, giving Vessery adaptability so that they fire in whichever order you like.

Then put someone like Wampa in as the third, and give him Targeting computer to generate locks for Vessery.

Interesting list, hard to fly, but very fun when it works. Use the biggest asteroids for the sweet moment of tractoring a lower PS ship onto the asteroid to save your ships.

Man, I will never forget my opponent's face when I tractored Norra out of a Range 1 shot, and onto an asteroid. Or when I tractored his ywing too close to the edge. Tie Ds don't seem to be in the meta right now, but I really do love them.

My Fav list at the moment is:

8Ship - 98 points

Darth Vader (34)

TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Adaptability (0), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

Colonel Vessery (38)
TIE Defender (35), Tractor beam (1), Veteran Instincts (1), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

You can have them all at PS8 and shoot Vader last to try to push the crit through or adapt him up to PS10 to dodge around Fel and the like. I was able to take out a TLT Y in one round of shooting and it never got the opportunity to shoot. Nearly took out a Palp shuttle in one round too (got it down to 1 Hull). One weakness is there are no AT so turrets are more threatening. 

Gives a hard target priority too.

Edited by Deffly

Here's my latest TIE f/o theory-crafting list. Possible 4-5 Crit attack from Omega Ace, hopefully after ZL has dropped a few shields:

"Omega Ace" — TIE/fo Fighter 20
Swarm Leader 3
Ship Total: 23

Scimitar Squadron Pilot — TIE Bomber 16
Fleet Officer 3
Systems Officer 2
Lightweight Frame 2
TIE Shuttle 0
Ship Total: 23

"Zeta Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 20
Wired 1
Weapons Guidance 2
Twin Ion Mark II Engine 1
Ship Total: 24

Epsilon Squadron Pilot — TIE/fo Fighter 15
Ship Total: 15

Epsilon Squadron Pilot — TIE/fo Fighter 15
Ship Total: 15

What about something like this?

100 points

40 points

Maarek Stele

TIE Defender

cannon.png

Flechette Cannon

talent.png

Predator

title.png

TIE/D

21 points

• “Zeta Leader”

TIE/fo Fighter

talent.png

Wired

39 points

Countess Ryad

TIE Defender

cannon.png

Flechette Cannon

talent.png

Predator

title.png

TIE/D

The one problem with flechette cannons is that they do not add stress tokens to an already stressed ship so unless you are shooting those cannons at different unstressed targets you will miss out on that aspect (you'd still get the damage though).

Okay here is my non x/7 build, I've been spending more time on the Rebel builds since HoTR.  Backdraft can grab an extra die for anyone else out of arc or for a primed alpha strike since anything past 3 or 4 hits is likely to be unevadable.  Backdraft has an optimal burst damage roll of 6 hits 1 guaranteed crit.  

"Backdraft" (27)
Swarm Leader (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Special Ops Training (0)

Countess Ryad (34)
Juke (2)
Ion Cannon (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Edited by Zorprime

Darth Vader (34)

TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Adaptability (0), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

Colonel Vessery (38)

TIE Defender (35), Tractor beam (1), Veteran Instincts (1), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Omega Leader” (26)

I used this list a couple of months ago minus Twin Ion Engine, and plus Stealth device on OL for even 100 points, to win my first challenge coin.  Very fun to push that tractor beam shot first, and then hammer on with the next three shots.

You're wasting Juke on Ryad. Back draft is going to fire before her, which means she won't have the Evade token to juke with.

The Swam leader scenario won't always line up so it's not a waste.  Possibly non-synergistic though, an alternate EPT suggestion??.  If Ryad is not able to participate in swarm attack she'll still have Juke to push damage through.  It's not required to max the dice backdraft rolls everytime, it may make sense to keep evade for when you've managed to get too many ships honed in on you.  

Edited by Zorprime

I'm having a lot of fun (3 - 0) on Vassal with this list:

Echo (41)

Expertise, Intelligence Agent, Sensor Jammer, Stygium Particle Accelerator
Pure Sabacc (24)
Adaptive Ailerons, A Score to Settle, Lightweight Frame
Soontir Fel (34)

Push the limit, Targeting Computer, Royal Guard TIE, Autothrusters

Echo is, hilariously, the bait. At PS6 you tend to be able to run blocks on the aces and still outmaneuver the cheaper ships in the lists you see. With TC on Fel, you have three ships that pack a wallop, and if you can get Echo right into the middle and on a good bump or two, takes more punishment than most people think is possible with the Sensor jammer. Expect echo to either die, or be on 1 or two health by turn 3 or 4. In doing so though, Echo has probably got a shot in with 5 dice, usually bumped to 4 hits from expertise, Sabacc swoops in also doing 3-4 damage on the focus while everyone is shooting Echo, and then it's endgame Fel against 1 or two ships, which is a pretty ideal scenario. 

Lots of explosions, lots of red dice, lots of swooping and dodging. 
In the event of lots of TLTs, SJ and autothrusters do their thing, only Sabacc takes punishment faster, but the frame helps a lot. 

A surprisingly resilient list that I guarantee your opponent most of the time just won't know what to do with or how to approach it.

Darth Vader (34)

Colonel Vessery (38)

“Omega Leader” (26)

I used this list a couple of months ago minus Twin Ion Engine, and plus Stealth device on OL for even 100 points, to win my first challenge coin.  Very fun to push that tractor beam shot first, and then hammer on with the next three shots.

I was torn about that but ultimately went for the initiative bid so if I'm against other 8's I can make them move first. Very helpful against other OL's and Inq's

I was torn about that but ultimately went for the initiative bid so if I'm against other 8's I can make them move first. Very helpful against other OL's and Inq's

When everyone is at 99, it still comes down to a init roll off anyway :)  I figured instead that if I need to, I can move Darth up to PS 10.

When everyone is at 99, it still comes down to a init roll off anyway :)  I figured instead that if I need to, I can move Darth up to PS 10.
Which is why my list is at 98pts

I can definitely understand wanting to be the special snowflake.  I suffer from that myself quite a bit.  However I wouldn't let what other people say about your wins bother you.  How many other people were flying a double defenders list that didn't make top 16.

Here is my suggestion!

Rear Admiral Chiraneau

Veteran Instincts

Hotshot Co-pilot

Agent Kallus

Fleet Officer

Rexler Brath

Expertise

Ion Cannon

Tie/D

The Admiral flys around at ps 10 stripping focus tokens from your target while handing out a focus to Rexlar.  Who is then free to TL all day long and turn all those eyeballs he rolls to hits and spend that focus to turn them all to crits.  Oh and he might Ion someone too cause why not!

You could also switch out fleed officer for systems officer to free up the Admirals action but that would require he stay at r1 of Rexler which wouldn't be too hard since he goes after him.

Edited by Rear Admiral Nerf

Havent had a chance to fly this yet but I am looking forward to trying it

GAMBLERS DELIGHT

99 points

PILOTS

Countess Ryad (36)
TIE Defender (34), Push the Limit (3), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Pure Sabacc” (25)
TIE Striker (22), Veteran Instincts (1), Adaptive Ailerons (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

“Countdown” (22)
TIE Striker (20), Adaptive Ailerons (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

“Dark Curse” (16)