Sign in to follow this  
Battle Gamer

Star Trek conversion?

I am by no means an expert on Trek, but I would suggest this is maybe not the right system for it.  Any system can be converted to run pretty much anything (after all we used to play Star Wars in d20), but each system brings with it a certain flavour (even if it's a generic system in which case the flavour is "bland").  This system is very very good for running games that feel like Star Wars, but whilst it will certainly work for Star Trek (all the mechanical details you need are there, spaceships, lasers, shields) I think tonally it's not really the right choice.  Maybe it would be more suitable if you're playing new film reboot Trek.

That said, I can't suggest a better option so this could be the best you have.  But I recommend thinking about the sort of game you want to play, what elements of the story you want to emphasise and then look for a game that does that well.

Or of you want a parody play Lasers and Feelings.

In terms of Star Trek RPGs, there is currently a new system in delevopment which you can sign up to alpha test and get an idea of how it works. It does share some designers in common but it already feels a lot more Trekky for me.

In terms of Star Trek RPGs, there is currently a new system in delevopment which you can sign up to alpha test and get an idea of how it works. It does share some designers in common but it already feels a lot more Trekky for me.

And your in luck, One of the individuals who is involved in the development of the new RPG also led the development to the core rule set for the FFG Star Wars RPG.

I think the primary thing you can take away from SWRP for a Star Trek roleplaying game would be the way in which a group can operate a spaceship in this game, since I feel like bridge operations would have to be a major part of a good Star Trek RPG. It would need to be expanded though, like adding a lot more starship command abilities on top of the piloting, gunnery and engineering stuff. 

The classes would have to work very differently, since for one, in order for the game to resemble the show the PCs would have to essentially play the senior officers on board of a ship, so there are really no characters that don't have serious qualifications, and secondly, Starfleet career officers are exceptionally well trained. These are people who are in top physical condition, have more knowledge of starship operations than just about anyone else in the galaxy, are trained in diplomacy, self defense, science, first aid, engineering, astrogation, survival etc. They drill all their skills on a regular basis and have to commit the entire schematic of the ship they serve on to memory.  A Starfleet officer would have probably 3 ranks in just about every skill in the game. Their entire culture is constant self improvement. You don't get to be an officer in Starfleet if you're good at something, you get to be an officer if you're good at everything and incredible at something.

Edited by Aetrion

And your in luck, One of the individuals who is involved in the development of the new RPG also led the development to the core rule set for the FFG Star Wars RPG.
The two systems are night and day different though, despite sharing a developer. I've tried to like the 2d20 system, but I find it to be a real chore.

This is actually something I've been brainstorming about for a while too. Without massive reworking, this system would work best for a game set in the original series period or earlier. It would also work fine in a later setting if the pcs are crewing something outisde of a star fleet vessel (i.e. A freighter crew, pirates, klingons, etc). It could work well for a next gen star fleet crew if the players and the gm really go all in with the narrative element of the game to account for the creative tech solutions that period favors. Not every crew in star fleet are nearly as elite as those shown in the tv series either and while most officers have some cursory knowledge in many areas they are also heavily specialized in their own fields.

Space combat in this system could be reskinned and reworked into a pretty Trekkie vibe.

I'd probably have a universal spec for starfleet officers that represents the education they receive at the academy and other very specialized careers and specs for each department.

Edited by ghatt