Sign in to follow this  
JimCrim

What Lies Within - DLC - new scenario lands

I think the price is a potentially contentious issue. The price for the amount of entertainment it provides is actually, when compared to other forms of entertainment, pretty cheap for the hours you get out of it. Alas, the DLC doesn't exist in a void. Mansions of Madness is one of my favourite games but the current base game on its own is pretty bad value for money when compared to other games within the Arkham Horror Files line. To charge more for extra scenarios feels a little bit like we're being nickled and dimed when the base game is really too sparse on content.

Then there's the law of diminishing returns. Each expansion or DLC released for a product always sees sequentially less people buy it than those who bought the base product/previous expansions. It would probably be a lot more beneficial to release a scenario creator for players to make their scenarios and release them for free- all this extra content will make the box set much better value and have us recommending our friends to get it leading to more sales of the initial $100 product.

I guess time will tell if this business model works.

Edited by Gregor Eisenhorn

Compare it with Descent, a totally app-free game that already has tons of scenarios. It got an app mode that is awesome and it gets new campaigns and game mods FOR FREE!! For the newest one you just need an expansion to get a whole new campaign (not mention that the expansion comes with its own campaign). I'd very much rather buy a whole expansion to play a free ~15 night game which is replayable at least once than waste couple of hundreds of dollars on MofM just to have to buy short story scenarios that I can play less than 5 times. You can also spend 100s more dollars to get 2 more game nights with new expansions /wink wink/

They are actually doing both for MoM. The next expansion includes an app update with a couple of scenarios. They are also selling DLC scenarios. And I just bought into Descent and yeah, spent a lot more on that than MoM. I am actually surprised Nerekhall is a free DLC. I wouldn't expect them to continue that practice.

The $3-$5 range is about right for DLC content of this kind. They went on the high side but this isn't a bad price. As someone stated, you can spend more buying a single drink at star bucks but of course the MoM DLC is 0 calories, which oddly enough, is how many calories you burn sitting on your ass playing it. :rolleyes:

For future reference, Apple takes their time validating apps before they get on iTunes, so the iOS users have to wait a bit.

I think £3.99 is a fair price for the DLC scenario. But I did raise an eyebrow when I saw that a whole DLC campaign for Descent was free.

I'd like to see a campaign mode for this game, somewhat along the lines of AH LCG.

Edited by Daft Blazer

I think my biggest issue is that you have to purchase it multiple times if you use multiple devices. When we're playing at my house, I use my Steam Link to stream the PC version to my TV and surround system. When I go to a friend's house though, I can't do this, so we use an android tablet.

Star Realms let's me purchase things once and attach it to my login info. Really wish FFG had done something similar for this. If the price was $3 instead of $5, I feel it would be less of an issue for quite a few people.

They need a better support for the figure and tile collections too. One scenario for each it's pretty abysmal.

Don't follow. Monster and tile collections are playable even with the scenarios from the core set (the same alternate maps that work with 1st edition work also if you don't have 1st edition but have the collections). Or? Did I miss something?

Plus, What lies within has two alternate maps using the Tiles and Monster collections.

Plus, What lies within has two alternate maps using the Tiles and Monster collections.

Quoting from What Lies Within announcement page 

Four map variants, multiple endings, and a series of new, story-specific mythos events will keep you quite busy as you juggle the murder investigation, eerie happenings around the house, and a variety of encounters. 

Edited by Kessadir

Quoting from What Lies Within announcement page 

Four map variants, multiple endings, and a series of new, story-specific mythos events will keep you quite busy as you juggle the murder investigation, eerie happenings around the house, and a variety of encounters. 

Sorry buddy, I don't see a contradiction with what I stated. There are 4 maps, 1 for each collection, 2 using the core set

When we get right to it, I don't think people really have a problem with the price for the scenario but the fact they're charging for it when the base game comes with so few scenarios (replay value is also a bit underwhelming although I'd say each scenario is worth running twice). If we get a custom scenario editor released at some point, I don't think many people will keep complaining. As it stands, rather than spending $5 on an awesome scenario with 4 maps (kudos to the creator), it's more like you can spend $100 dollars on a game with 4 scenarios, or $105 on a game with 5. It feels like we're being nickle and dimed somewhat to make our initial $100 worthwhile.

This game currently ranks as one of my favourite Arkham Horror experiences if we ignore the replayability issues.Hopefully they won't ruin this with anti-consumer polilices.

Gregor

P.S. To clarify, I actually don't think it's a bad idea to release DLC scenarios as they are. $5 is on the high side of what I'd consider reasonable, but reasonable none the less. I just believe they should release some more free content first to make the initial investment worthwhile. As it stands when people enquire about the game, I point them towards Eldritch as its simply better value for money.

I just played this last night via steam, and unfortunately, I had a bug where the mythos stopped playing partway through. Ruined the game as there were no encounters or checks or anything after a certain point.

Where can I post this bug again?

EDIT: Posted the bug in the stickied topic at the top of the board. Hopefully that is the correct place for it. 

Edited by Soakman

No cross-platform support is actually granted. So, if you are able to have Steam on your tablet, then yes, the scenario will be accessible through Steam. If you are simply planning on using a different OS, then no, you have to buy the expansion again.

I can see the infectious need to complain about every little thing has been spreading into our cozy little forum quite exceptionally.

Everywhere I look (especially BGG), I see the same people who swear they'd never play the same scenario twice (therefore the game has a lack of replayability) complaining about having to buy the scenario multiple times on different platforms... and none of them seem to see the contradiction in that.  

I can see the infectious need to complain about every little thing has been spreading into our cozy little forum quite exceptionally.

Everywhere I look (especially BGG), I see the same people who swear they'd never play the same scenario twice (therefore the game has a lack of replayability) complaining about having to buy the scenario multiple times on different platforms... and none of them seem to see the contradiction in that.  

You're being unfair. Whilst I agree it's entirely silly they won't play a scenario more than once (personally I've found each scenario is worth replaying  2-3 times before any other variations become too minor to really offer a new experience), replayability is a real issue with the current offerings combined with the amount you need to fork over to play. This has led to some people being disenchanted with the game, especially combined with the DLC price cost- the fact that the DLC has to be bought across multiple platforms if you want the convenience of being able to switch between a tablet and a PC is just another strike in a list of what people perceive as bad decisions by FFG regarding this game.

I have faith this situation will improve in the future, if one ignores the replayability issue, this is one of my favorite gaming experiences to date. Personally I'm planning on painting up the figures as well as using the figures and tiles for the Call of Cthulu RPG in the future so I don't feel too burned by the lack of playability at the moment. Another thing I plan on doing (which won't be an option for some people) is to replay some scenarios with first time players but only operate the app and move the monsters in what is basically a keeper-lite role. That way I feel I'll almost get to see the scenario again for the first time in a similar manner to when you show your favourite movie to someone who hasn't seen it before.

Thanks, Julia.  I appreciate the response. 

:)

No cross-platform support is actually granted. So, if you are able to have Steam on your tablet, then yes, the scenario will be accessible through Steam. If you are simply planning on using a different OS, then no, you have to buy the expansion again.

Late to the party but Ill add my view as well.

I bought it for 44,-Dkr. Its basicly the same I would have paid for a 2 hours rental movie.

For that Money I and 4 friends had about 3 hours of fun and intense playing. (Gods teeth we failed so many interaktion with that **** cat) In the end we won, with 3 out if 5 members going insane!

Id gladly pay the same or even a little more for a future DLC of the same quality

I finally had the chance to play this scenario. 3 investigators, we failed but it was great. I don't have the Beyond the Threshold expansion (not yet available in my language) but this one so far is my favourite. Thanks FFG, please keep them coming :)

Want to buy it, but my tablet is an Android one, and when we play at my GFs place she has a windows one (we play using my Steam account).

I got Steam on my android tablet, but I can't install the Mansions of Madness app through Steam, it only accepts the app from the app store. Would be sooo nice if you could connect the Android app to Steam or something (perhaps be able to get a redemption code or something that you could use for one other OS?). Feels excessive to play twice for the same DLC.

I guess I could buy Splashtop or something similar to stream my PC to my tablet and run everything via Steam, but the app costs the same as the DLC... :P

33 minutes ago, totgeboren said:

Feels excessive to play twice for the same DLC.

Well, you want to use it on two different accounts, on two different apps on two different platforms, so you have to pay twice. It's the same as wanting to use two gyms (one near work, one near your home) - you'll have to pay for two memberships.

17 minutes ago, Samea said:

Well, you want to use it on two different accounts, on two different apps on two different platforms, so you have to pay twice. It's the same as wanting to use two gyms (one near work, one near your home) - you'll have to pay for two memberships.

What I want to do is 'use it on one account', not two.

Since I have a laptop (and also my media PC), I can actually play using my Steam app at home or at my GFs place, playing half a campaign at my house and then continuing at her place the next weekend if we so choose. Only issue is if I want to use my tablet (since it doesn't take up as much physical space, which the boardgame needs) instead of my laptop. Then I need to repurchase the DLC.

I guess I could bring my tablet with me to her, but it just feels odd when she has a perfectly functional tablet already.

The metaphor would be closer to the situation if my gymcard was tied to my current gym shoes, not to me in particular.

Now I understand this particular gym in question has a floor that needs to be replaced if I came there with a different pair of shoes, so I understand if they want to keep it like this, but as a consumer it is still a rather odd situation.

Edited by totgeboren

2 hours ago, totgeboren said:

What I want to do is 'use it on one account', not two.

Since I have a laptop (and also my media PC), I can actually play using my Steam app at home or at my GFs place, playing half a campaign at my house and then continuing at her place the next weekend if we so choose. Only issue is if I want to use my tablet (since it doesn't take up as much physical space, which the boardgame needs) instead of my laptop. Then I need to repurchase the DLC.

I guess I could bring my tablet with me to her, but it just feels odd when she has a perfectly functional tablet already.

The metaphor would be closer to the situation if my gymcard was tied to my current gym shoes, not to me in particular.

Now I understand this particular gym in question has a floor that needs to be replaced if I came there with a different pair of shoes, so I understand if they want to keep it like this, but as a consumer it is still a rather odd situation.

Solution 1 is certainly using the same tablet over the two places (moving a tablet should be negligible when compared to moving the game).

Solution 2 is that you could simply decide that one scenario will be always played at your place, and another one at her place. So, you split DLC 1 over two evenings at your place, and DLC 2 (when they release one) can be split over two evenings at her place.

I understand people want to have everything in the same place, but the point is that it's not simply FFG selling one version for iOS and one version for Android: there are other companies involved, and these companies won't drop their earnings in favor of a multiplatform release (unless of course prices go up a lot so that the end users pays for all the versions). I don't hear people complaining that they have to pay for the app of Ticket to Ride when they have the boardgame; I don't hear people complaining that they have to pay for a Kindle version of a book they already have in physical form; I don't hear people complaining they have to pay for a CD of a gig they saw because they paid the ticket for said gig: it's the same, we have one app that sells over different platforms run by different companies, so, they are different products allowing for the same experience. Leave it or take it, your choice, but things won't change

Yeah, I just read the other thread about DLCs and different OS, and I understand that having a cross-platform solution is likely way beyond what FFG could deliver (due to other companies wanting to lock people in to using only their equipment). The issue is much much larger than a cheap DLC for a free app.

Sucks a bit for me since I own both a Android tablet, a Kindle e-reader and some Windows pcs. Good thing I don't have any Apple stuff at least! :o