Sign in to follow this  
Aetrion

Missile Tube vs. TIE Fighter, am I missing something here?

"When making combat checks with personal scale weapons that use the Gunnery skill, successes are applied in the scale of the target."

Does that make sense and keep it simpler?

Except then you also have to modify the description of the base damage done by the weapon, so that it’s two points of vehicle-scale damage when used against vehicles, and 20 points of personal-scale damage when used against personal-scale targets.

"When making combat checks with personal scale weapons that use the Gunnery skill, successes are applied in the scale of the target."

Except then you also have to modify the description of the base damage done by the weapon, so that it’s two points of vehicle-scale damage when used against vehicles, and 20 points of personal-scale damage when used against personal-scale targets.

True, or you can keep the base damage as it is to keep it simpler. Most Gunnery weapons deal at least 10 wounds, which would mean 1 hull trauma. As with the normal rules with personal scale weapons vs vehicles, you ignore any damage that doesn't equal at least 1 point of hull trauma.

Hmm... If "called shot" Aiming works the same as it does in personal scale (you can make a called shot Aim to cripple a target's leg, which is normally a specific critical injury you'd have to activate and roll the exact value for) then I can see you being able to do so against a vehicle to inflict a Component Hit, which is temporary. Rolling 2 triumphs in addition to succeeding the called shot should allow you to deal out a Major System Failure.

If that's true, exceeding the armor isn't really a concern as long as you're willing to deal no damage and to take 2 setback to the combat check.

The house rule I use is this: "Any personal scale weapon that requires the use of the Gunnery skill to use applies successes in Vehicle scale against vehicles, and Personal scale against individuals." This allows E-Webs, Missile Tubes, etc to deal significant damage against heavy targets without being bonkers against smaller ones, and it depends entirely upon the firer being competent in its use.

This is great. It's difficult to even pull off a component critical when you get to vehicles with 4 and 5 armor rating since component critical starts with "when dealing damage..."

I'm not one to house-rule but this house-rule needs to be an official rule.

Let me see if I can try to rework this to flow a little better.

While you are at it you could allow reflect to be applied against vehicle weapons before conversion to personal scale damage  ^-^

Hmm... If "called shot" Aiming works the same as it does in personal scale (you can make a called shot Aim to cripple a target's leg, which is normally a specific critical injury you'd have to activate and roll the exact value for) then I can see you being able to do so against a vehicle to inflict a Component Hit, which is temporary. Rolling 2 triumphs in addition to succeeding the called shot should allow you to deal out a Major System Failure.

If that's true, exceeding the armor isn't really a concern as long as you're willing to deal no damage and to take 2 setback to the combat check.

I think this would be one of those situational wibbly wobbley narrative schemerative kinda things.

Taking aim at short range with certain weapons seems somewhat plausible. At close range with a compatible weapon and target... makes sense. "I want to chuck the grenade on top of the tanks' turret toward the front and try and disrupt the cannon control systems."

Other times aiming at as specific component seems rather impossible. "I want to Aim this missile tube at that TIE Fighter's laser cannons even though I'm a few miles away, it's the size of a pea in my sight and going 200 mph and...."

I think this would be one of those situational wibbly wobbley narrative schemerative kinda things.

Taking aim at short range with certain weapons seems somewhat plausible. At close range with a compatible weapon and target... makes sense. "I want to chuck the grenade on top of the tanks' turret toward the front and try and disrupt the cannon control systems."

Other times aiming at as specific component seems rather impossible. "I want to Aim this missile tube at that TIE Fighter's laser cannons even though I'm a few miles away, it's the size of a pea in my sight and going 200 mph and...."

Tell that to Chirrut Imwe. :P

Tell that to Chirrut Imwe. :P

Signature Ability: I am one with the Force, and that makes me gamebreakingly awesome.

I'm not gonna continue the huge quote chain but I feel like if a character that is officially stated to not be force sensitive at all and is completely blind can do it why couldn't anyone else attempt it? Per that "called shot" aim rule, one would need to be rolling against a high difficulty due to the distance away from target, at least 2 setback from the called shot  (unless you have the call em talent in the Gunslinger spec tree), more added setback for any environmental conditions, deal absolutely 0 damage and you'd have to succeed & roll 2 triumphs to stop the engines dead on a ship to cause it to eventually crash land. It's a difficult process: there is risk of failure, one can always upgrade the difficulty and use despairs for mean things (ship crashes near you, take shrapnel damage) & you leave yourself open and exposed for all sorts of nastiness.

Signature Ability: Writer's rule of cool

Flip four destiny points, Anything, you try, no matter how stupid is a success. Once per session ability.

Investing xp allows you to succeed with one or two triumphs and you can reduce the cost down to two destiny points. Starting Range is short, can upgraded up to planetary close. Yes, that means you can hit something from 2km with your personal scale weapon and make it crash. :)