Sign in to follow this  
Sligui

Starting Positions (U-Wing)

I know it hasn't been out long... but does anyone have any insight into what is the best starting position for the U-Wing with the Pivot Wing title?

Better to start at attacking for that extra green die on the first pass? Or have the landing prepped to do the 180º as soon as it's needed? Maybe there's more to it than that....?

Thanks!

I'm a little bummed because I like the look of the forward wing position better than the swept back wing position...

But to give up an agility for aesthetics doesn't seem worth it. :) 

I'm trying to figure out how I want to fly it too. I keep wanting to auto include FCS but maybe an Advanced Sensors Bumpmaster? I wonder if Engine Upgrade is worth it... Zeb crew for shots into whoever you blocked? 

I'm tempted to try an Outer Rim Smuggler with Smuggling Compartment and Feedback Array as a cheap big blocker though.

I haven't had a chance to get this ship out on the table yet and I won't until after the holidays... I really want to fly two Pathfinders in formation but I'm not in a hurry to purchase a second one. 

I just flew mine last night in two different configurations. The extra green dice was the side started with and used most of the time. Became a mind game with my opponent when I'd flip it to the other side - is he going to do that 180 trick or is he just bluffing to make me think he is?

Btw, loving the uwing as a bumper / blocker. Not as thrilled with it as a combat ship / support ship but that could just be my getting a handle on how to use it that way

you'll be in attack position the vast majority of the time

the U as a ship has 3 basic advantages over anything else you could take

1. cheap large base

2. cheap double crew slot

3. sometimes 2 agility for b-wing prices

I see no reason to take one if you don't exploit every possible advantage

and the only real way to exploit #3 with fickle as **** dice is stuffing it with focus generating options

Rey and Jyn are the big two here, with Jan providing jank support (evades are surprisingly clutch) and cassian really breaking its mobility open

FCS is auto-include if you want your investment to do any actual damage

needs more testing, but they're not bad; certainly more than B-wings when properly modified

15493707_10157878486275142_2700252662639

and of course you'll have your triple focus jyn turns and the dice decide to never roll a focus face, because dice are ******* fun eh?

15585261_10157878487580142_8712705091040

Edited by ficklegreendice

Cassian Andor (27)

Snap Shot (2)

Enhanced Scopes (1)

Sabine Wren (2)

Bistan (2)

Proximity Mines (3)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Pivot Wing (0)

Total: 41

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I ran my U-Wing like this over the weekend in a tournament and loved it. It dealt a lot of damage and was surprisingly agile. I can't believe I got off the prox mines in every match too just by dropping it on my opponents head. It was awesome! I want to try swapping Bistan for Extra Munitions and see how that goes, then put in a 1 point crew of some kind.

Scopes/Sabine/full stop was just incredible.

It is a very offensively oriented build I find, and it worked very well with an Expertise rey. Only thing I wished was that I had EU on Rey as well... oh well.

It was my best showing at a tournament against some very fierce competition.

I am very happy with the performance of the U. The quality of the cards in the expansion, the ship itself.... Overall I think it's the best kit since the K-Wing for rebels.

The biggest problem with the U wing is that it can either be too expensive or too cheap.. It's hard to find a happy medium. I think there are numerous viable builds because of this. Makes it incredibly flexible...

I wonder if six in epic...all with FCS is overkill....

Edited by Wiredin

I'm a little bummed because I like the look of the forward wing position better than the swept back wing position...

But to give up an agility for aesthetics doesn't seem worth it. :)

I'm trying to figure out how I want to fly it too. I keep wanting to auto include FCS but maybe an Advanced Sensors Bumpmaster? I wonder if Engine Upgrade is worth it... Zeb crew for shots into whoever you blocked? 

I'm tempted to try an Outer Rim Smuggler with Smuggling Compartment and Feedback Array as a cheap big blocker though.

I haven't had a chance to get this ship out on the table yet and I won't until after the holidays... I really want to fly two Pathfinders in formation but I'm not in a hurry to purchase a second one. 

As far as I know there is no rule that says the wing position on the model has to match the card. You could just leave the wings forward,

Assuming you're using a low PS U-wing, start it horizontal to the board in landing position, then reverse him after your opponent sets up if needed.  Taking a turn to see what your opponent is doing is almost always going to be to your advantage.

Once the combat starts though, you certainly want to be in attack position.

There is no rule, but why WOULDNT you :P?

Because it looks so much cooler with the wings forward, IMO. Also, takes up less space so I can fly ships close by with less worry about bumping my models when the bases are clearly in no danger of a bump.

Plus, based on its usage in the film, the U-Wings spent most of combat with its wings in the forward position. The only times it swept them back was when it needed to break atmosphere and get into space.

Plus, based on its usage in the film, the U-Wings spent most of combat with its wings in the forward position. The only times it swept them back was when it needed to break atmosphere and get into space.

which, giv3n most mats, is exactly where theyre fighting

I will always have them in the forward position. It'll help with maneuvers and spacing unless the board is clear or no other ships are close to my position in which the opening of them may affect my opponent/or my movements

Edited by Cgriffith